Disc Golf Store
Old 05-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris deitzel View Post
Get that left hand off the disc as you are reaching backward.
Works for Climo.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: RHFH
Kenny has his hand on his disc until he starts the backswing.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
On your backhand shots, in regards to your footing...

You might want to incorporate a cross step in there.

I used to do the same thing you are doing...a little "skip" step, twist and throw. But I was never able to get out past 300' or so. But a buddy of mine at the local course mentioned that I'm not taking a cross step. So I started practicing that, and it almost instantly added about 50' extra. Then, after a few rounds of practice, I've increased my drive out to about 420' or so.

It basically forces your hips and torso to twist away from your target before rotating forward and pulling your arm through.

I can't describe exactly how to do it here (without confusing the hell out of you), but there are a lot of videos out there on YouTube that discuss this. I would suggest checking them out, taking some mental notes, then go out on your lawn or whatever and just practice your form (with or without actually throwing discs). Start off slow so you can see what you are doing, then you can speed it up a bit after it has become muscle memory.

You can just search for "disc golf" or "disc golf clinic" on youtube.

Anyway...hope this helps you like it helped me!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 17
I didn't take a single distance driver with me today when I went to toss some. I stayed at the same hole and probably throw 30 times...was really trying to work on my form. I was having trouble releasing at the right time while trying to think about making sure my reach back and swing were level. Was tossing a lot of them late and having them S curve way to the right of where I was wanting. Also turned several over. I need to just keep practice this and maybe incorporate this cross step. I wasn't getting near the distance I usually do...course I was throwing slower discs. I might have to sit tomorrow out. My arm and torso are killing me!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: RHFH
After 18+ years of playing, I'd say your form is decent. If it doesn't hurt and you are getting 300+ feet than you are doing fine. What works for some may not work for others.

Take me for example, I can throw a sidewinder on any angle and in any wind. I also have a super low release with hyzer like I am throwing a frisbee. Back in the early 90's, this form was correct and people used to comment how smooth I looked when throwing. Nowadays, everyone throws overstable discs and try to throw flat with their arms way back. Not neccessarily the best form. Do what works and is comfortable. If you are accurate throwing the way you have started, then figure out how to work with it.

If you are awesome at throwing hyzer-flips with understable discs, than use that to your advantage. If you are one of these newer players that throws with a high release and uses overstable discs to try and throw straight, most of you looks like fools.

I always laugh at these new players who can't even play catch with a frisbee. Looks like you could play catch with the best of them. And that my friend is good form. anyway......now they can bash me.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Look up some driving tips by Dave Feldberg on youtube, he's got some really good slow motion and step by step instructions on good driving form.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 85
5' 9" 145lb forehands:

Try to keep your core extended; it looks like your doing crunches, stand up. Also, look at how far back your weight is at the release point. I'm a small guy who can smash em' righty forehand (I've parked flat 380 ft holes forehand) The key is to keep the shoulders up, following basically the same rotational motion as a lefty backhand shot, and to keep your throwing elbow "tight like a tiger" to your body. I optimally throw with all my weight centered over the ball of my left foot, not heel or toe. At the disc release point, my right shoulder is level with my left foot, as far as the vertical plane is concerned (if you recorded me from the top) Also, the shoulder should be "open" and leading the elbow by about an inch or two, so its like doing a "pec-fly" at the last second. This can be risky for those with shoulder issues, but it gives me a stupid amount of snap. Stupid I say!

You look pretty good for someone who's just starting, stick with it. Also, learn Felberg hyzers as stated above ^^

Last edited by bilythekid; 05-22-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Agreed with Bilythekid for the most part and not too terrible for a rank beginner. Weight is way back FH and all your momentum is being vectored upward to the sky instead of forward. Get your head over your plant foot, and shorten the backswing by keeping the elbow tight, then let it fly. Your BH is almost the same but opposite issue, you try to slam your weight down on the plant and all your momentum is vectored down to the ground instead of forward. You compensate by throwing with the nose way up. X-stepping helps get more gliding forward motion and closing the hips/stance for better leverage. Focus on being balanced and keeping the disc on a straight and level plane to where you want to throw the disc through at its highest point or apex. Check your grip and disc orientation, and practice throwing some putters for distance. Tons of vids on BH out there that will help and check the technique sticky for the hammer drills and snap2009.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 17
Thanks for the forehand tips!

I am also a small guy at like 5'7" and 165lbs.

I actually can drive them a bit farther forehand, but I seem to have less control.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 48
Forehand: watch "Deep in the Game" episode 3. Avery Jenkins explained it very well I thought.