Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
P.S. Just an after thought... The more money/gear/support you give your sponsored players, the more willing they will be to go out of their way for you. You dont want some a$$hole representing you, and the sport as a whole, so be careful who you choose
Old 05-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHBH
I have an apparel sponsor for a start up company SubPar Disc Golf in WI. I got a large quantity of tshirts last year which helped me pretty much swap my wardrobe out and have disc golf on every tshirt I wear. It is about representing and getting the SubPar name out there, but the most important part is getting none golfers to ask about the shirt and introduce them to the sport so we can help it grow and eventually I can leave the Postal Service and pursue a career in disc golf. I am waiting for this years drifits now that I think about it.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRW33114 View Post
I have an apparel sponsor for a start up company SubPar Disc Golf in WI. I got a large quantity of tshirts last year which helped me pretty much swap my wardrobe out and have disc golf on every tshirt I wear. It is about representing and getting the SubPar name out there, but the most important part is getting none golfers to ask about the shirt and introduce them to the sport so we can help it grow and eventually I can leave the Postal Service and pursue a career in disc golf. I am waiting for this years drifits now that I think about it.
This.

I have this one shirt I wear more than any other during tournaments because I like the way it looks and how it feels when I throw.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Sponser Matt Orum--He needs some fashion help:

Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 180
Not sure if this is on topic...but I was suprised how many players at BG were sponsored this year. It was interesting though... I don't think anyone on the first card for Advanced (the top 4 rated players) had sponsors. Is this more a midwest/west thing. I don't see many highly rated Am's in this area (NC) sponsored.

Does a player contact the company, or the company contact the player. Maybe we are just lazy here?

*Dang this post was sure to get my reputation points up :-P*
Old 05-25-2012, 11:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Disc Jock View Post
Thanks for taking the time to provide your thoughts! Lots of stuff to think about so far.

Our take is that we are not in this to get rich - we're hanging around the wrong sport (or at least providing the wrong product) if that was our goal. We just want to be a bigger part of the movement and continue to grow the game. To that end, what things do you think a sponsored player could/should be asked to do in return for sponsorship?

For example, do sponsored players typically have any responsibilities other than using the sponsors product and name dropping where applicable? Like has anyone heard of a sponsored player being required to chronicle their preparation, tournament experience, etc? Say pictures of them playing in the tournament, providing write ups/blog posts about their tournament experience, helping put on disc golf clinics, etc.

How much do tournament fees generally run? Is there a standard? Does it differ per competition level or tournament grade?

What is a good/fair way to select sponsored players? Of course, local is good because we can meet them and get to know them prior to sponsorship (if we were not spending so much time in the office), but beyond that what should be done to ensure that we continue to select true ambassadors of the sport? For example, we've played with more than a few pros who had undeniable skills, yet treated amateur/recreational players like second class citizens and that just does not match what we are about / not good for the sport.
I think you'll have a hard time finding the person with the right character.
Back in the day Steve Wisecup was know not just as a great golfer and World Champion, but a great ambassador for the sport. He now lives somewhere on the west coast and very active in disc golf.
I suggest getting in touch with him and I bet he'll be able to help you find the right person for you to sponsor.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Bogey Member

Great information here. We appreciate everyone chipping in!

We've also received a few suggestions on sponsoring tournaments. Everyone loves a free disc, but what types of apparel / accessories do you like to receive at tournaments? We've heard quite a few complaints about the quality of shirts at some tournaments - what has your experience been? Do you typically receive light weight cotton, heavy weight cotton, or maybe even dri-fit shirts? What other goodies have you received at a tournament?

Keep the ideas flowing...
Old 05-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 37
I have a pile of dri-fits I will never wear as prizes from tournies. I would prefer a regular t-shirt.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Disc Jock View Post
Great information here. We appreciate everyone chipping in!

We've also received a few suggestions on sponsoring tournaments. Everyone loves a free disc, but what types of apparel / accessories do you like to receive at tournaments? We've heard quite a few complaints about the quality of shirts at some tournaments - what has your experience been? Do you typically receive light weight cotton, heavy weight cotton, or maybe even dri-fit shirts? What other goodies have you received at a tournament?

Keep the ideas flowing...
I really like shirts as swag, especially if it does not include graphics that look like they were drawn by kids or anything that I would be ashamed or feel would be inappropriate to wear in front of my kids. I have had some flimsy shirts that seem to have fallen apart after a few washings, but as long as they are at least a step above Hanes t-shirts that are meant to be worn under your normal shirts (no disrespect to Hanes, undershirts are vital for someone casually dressing up), t-shirts are meant to be worn and then thrown away in a few years.

I guess it comes down to the level of tournament you are sponsoring. The more "beer league" it seems, the more fun you can have with your shirts. NT or A teirs, however, may require something along the lines of dri-fits or performance tees.

I guess of all the promotions I have been on the receiving end of, the one that stands out the most was Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. They had a guy camping out at Hole 9 during the Blue Ribbon Pines Open. He was giving away swag to the CTP of every foursome who played through. I was at the tail end of the giveaways so some of the best stuff was already gone, but I won the CTP and walked away with a T-Shirt. Simple shirt too; all black with white printing of the Pabst logo. I do not drink alcohol at all, but it is one of the better t-shirts I have (black goes with everything) and a fond memory.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
I have a few cotton shirts from tourney player packs, they shortly (like after 2 or 3 times being worn) became gym shirts, due to unraveling at the seams. I have a few dri fits from tourneys/clubs, and I wear them regularly. They are good quality, I think they look good, and it is a good way to spread word about the sport. I get tons of questions about my dri fits that I wear... I would rather pay an extra 5-10 bucks to enter a tourney, if I knew I would get a dri-fit instead of cheap, gym shirt quality cotton