Old 05-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
It probably sounds dumb, but what you really need is:

Time in the field and the right discs, but Mostly time in the field. Nothing helps you find your smooth "maximum efficiency throw" like throwing all your drivers for an hour or two back and forth a couple days a week for a month. All of a sudden this one shot went way further than the others, then you start figuring out why it did that, then you cultivate it, repeat, and now your a monster

Just remember that there are trees on most disc golf courses, field bombs don't equate to 1000 rated golf...

Last edited by bilythekid; 05-22-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHAFNER View Post
Forehand: watch "Deep in the Game" episode 3. Avery Jenkins explained it very well I thought.
What's that one. Tried some of the different grips, but only the split finger feels right...maybe I just need to practice it some more.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilythekid View Post
It probably sounds dumb, but what you really need is:

Time in the field and the right discs, but Mostly time in the field. Nothing helps you find your smooth "maximum efficiency throw" like throwing all your drivers for an hour or two back and forth a couple days a week for a month. All of a sudden this one shot went way further than the others, then you start figuring out why it did that, then you cultivate it, repeat, and now your a monster

Just remember that there are trees on most disc golf courses, field bombs don't equate to 1000 rated golf...
As much as I probably need to do this...it's just sooo boring! After throwing for maybe 15 minutes on the same open field hole I was getting worn out too. Every time I got to the course I like throw all my discs on one whole a few times over...if the course isn't crowded. So far I've lucked out.

Also I know what you mean about the big bombs not necessarily making you the best player. My 18 hole course weaves through the woods and many of the holes ranging from like 133 ft. to 400ft. require much more accuracy and finesse than they do big arms.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:26 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 7
Send a message via Skype™ to attik34
<also a beginner, but one thing i noticed that helped me a TON when learning the reachback part of things...is don't try to keep ur eyes on where ur throwing through the entire throw...find it...and when its time to reach back...look at ur disc all the way back...trying to keep your head on the target will just bind you up and keep you from reaching back...thats my 2 pennies
Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 7
Send a message via Skype™ to attik34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafeston View Post
As much as I probably need to do this...it's just sooo boring! After throwing for maybe 15 minutes on the same open field hole I was getting worn out too. Every time I got to the course I like throw all my discs on one whole a few times over...if the course isn't crowded. So far I've lucked out.

Also I know what you mean about the big bombs not necessarily making you the best player. My 18 hole course weaves through the woods and many of the holes ranging from like 133 ft. to 400ft. require much more accuracy and finesse than they do big arms.
What I did as far as getting reps on the course...i had 2 mids and 2 putters...and played each hole like they were separate players...shark and magnet was one and roc and aviar were one...that way i wasnt taking 8 days to play, but also got ALOT more reps in on each day at the course.. also...do the mark ellis putting thing.... it works
Old 06-03-2012, 03:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 18
x step?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinwizzz View Post
x step?
Working on it!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by attik34 View Post
What I did as far as getting reps on the course...i had 2 mids and 2 putters...and played each hole like they were separate players...shark and magnet was one and roc and aviar were one...that way i wasnt taking 8 days to play, but also got ALOT more reps in on each day at the course.. also...do the mark ellis putting thing.... it works
Good idea. I'll check out the Mark Ellis putting thing...my putting is usually pretty on. I make up for some crappy drives/mid shots with my putting.

Here's a video I made of my entire round at my local course...before I started working on the x-step thing.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
My first impression is that you play pretty well.

My second impression is that you have an awful lot of discs. I think one piece of advice I see a lot is to have just a few discs that you learn to know really well.

I also see on your drives, you don't seem to be pivoting properly. A heel pivot would help you get your hips open.

But again, I think you have a pretty good game right now.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 48
You tend to release early and you end up throwing farther left than intended, I think. At the last second grip harder and it will help both accuracy and distance. And again, slow it down. An eagle will fly just like a wraith and in a lot of the shots you had, could have been a better choice. Keep up the field work with slower discs and keep the nose down. If you flip them over on a good form drive, throw some hyzer. It will do wonders.

Also, work on approaches, a close approach saves strokes.

Last edited by BIGHAFNER; 06-03-2012 at 10:53 AM.