Old 06-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
What is the proper way to make a call on a rule violation?

I'm a relatively new player but I play as much DG as I can. I enjoy PDGA play, local club play and playing with my buddies who just want to take a hike and make a disc fly. Sportsmanship and trying to get more people involved in the sport is very important so recreational and local club play should be focused on fun. PDGA play should also be enjoyable but not at the expense of the PDGA rules of play.

I was recently at an A-tier playing in the MA-2 (Int) division. It was unbelievable how many falling putts I saw, throwing discs across the fairway to other players or back to a bag, stance violations, drinking and smoking...just gross disregard for many of the fundamental rules of play.

I started off in the Rec division because that was the "learning division" but after playing one or two events I soon realized ALL PDGA divisions are competitive and its the players responsibility to know the rules.

I want to start making more calls or drawing more attention to the rules during tournament play. I do not mind being thought of as a Nazi but I do want to practice sportsmanship while making the calls. There are many common scenarios where a call is needed. How would you initiate a call?

1. A falling putt.
2. Stance violation (lined up improperly)
3. Smoking pot or drinking alcohol.
4. Tossing a disc in anger or unknowingly throwing it back to the bag or another player.
5. Cursing or kicking a bag.

I'm sure many more will come to mind.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 75
1. Calmly and tactfully state that the putt was a stance violation and hopefully someone will second it. Explain what the player did wrong if they don't know. The first violation is only a warning, so it just puts that person on notice to watch out for it the rest of the round.
2. Same as #1. Since it's only a warning, it's really a learning opportunity. Approach it as if you're teaching the other person the rule rather than trying to call them on something they did wrong.

3. Explain that these things are against the rules and bother you. If they refuse to stop, report it directly to the TD.
4. This is a rule a lot of players don't even know. The first time it happens, pull the person aside and explain the rule. If it happens again, call them on it.
5. For overt unsportmanlike behavior, tell them and the group that you're calling a courtesy violation. Again, it's just a warning the first time, so no harm if they clean it up for the rest of the round.

The most important thing is to stay calm about it. You don't want to get into a yelling match. Know the rules, and have a rule book handy if you get questioned on it. Just don't take an adversarial tone, simply explain that the action was not within the rules and you're obligated to call it. Very few players will give you a hard time about it.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 12
make sure your up to date on the rules and know them by the letter .

and remember most rule violations are warnings first and must be witnessed by 2 people
Old 06-19-2012, 04:12 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 816
On the specific topic of stance violations, I would much rather point it out to someone before they take the shot. That way they can correct it, they know I'm watching, and generally no hard feelings come out of it.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
On the specific topic of stance violations, I would much rather point it out to someone before they take the shot. That way they can correct it, they know I'm watching, and generally no hard feelings come out of it.
^This, it's kind of a shady move to call this on someone if they aren't in their stance any more. I would not be happy if someone told me I had a stance violation while I was walking toward the basket to grab my disc.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega SuperSloth View Post
make sure your up to date on the rules and know them by the letter.
This is so crucial. There's a grand rapids guy that plays in one of the lower divisions, Am3 I think, and he's the ultimate rule Nazi but he always gets his rules wrong I played a tourney last year he was in where some dude was ready to pound him into oblivion because he tried to call him wrong on a mando. Same guy tried to call out a 92something rated guy for playing am2, he was livid that the td wasn't forcing him to play advanced lol.

So yeah make sure you know what you're talking about.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 95

Correct me if I am wrong but I am allowed to throw my disc to my bag as long as it is under 6 feet away.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:01 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 31
Can you call a courtesy violation on somebody that continues to call bad rules?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohr View Post

Correct me if I am wrong but I am allowed to throw my disc to my bag as long as it is under 6 feet away.
That's correct. As long as the disc does not travel more than two meters. And as long as you don't do it in an aggressive way that could be considered a courtesy violation.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Can you call a courtesy violation on somebody that continues to call bad rules?
Absolutely.