Old 06-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
That's correct. As long as the disc does not travel more than two meters. And as long as you don't do it in an aggressive way that could be considered a courtesy violation.
And as long as it is not forward.
There is a whole thread somewhere with a debate on how to interpret that rule, though, in terms of defining "a target".
Old 06-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohr View Post

Correct me if I am wrong but I am allowed to throw my disc to my bag as long as it is under 6 feet away.
6'-6" away and not toward the basket. But, god forbid that it catches an edge and rolls away
Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 37
Has the definition of a Practice Throw changed? It looks like it's any throw over 2 meters OR a throw, of any distance, towards the basket. Intentional or not...

800. Definitions

Practice Throw: During a round, the projection of a disc of a distance greater than two meters, OR of any distance toward a target intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie, either because it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie. Throws that are re-thrown in accordance with the rules are not practice throws. Provisional throws made pursuant to the 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3) are not practice throws. A player shall receive a penalty for a practice throw in accordance with sections 803.01 B or Competition Manual 1.5 B (1).

803. Rules of Play

803.01 General:

B. Practice Throws. A player who throws a practice throw or an extra throw with any disc any time after the start of his or her round and prior to his or her finishing the last whole of the round (except for throws that must be re-thrown in accordance with the rules, provisional throws are made pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3), or throws during a suspension or postponement of play) shall receive one penalty throw. The practice throw or extra throw must be observed by any two players or an official.

1.5 Practice Rounds and Beginning Play

B. Two types of starts will be used to begin competitive play:

(1) Shotgun Starts (rounds where several groups start simultaneously): At a scheduled time, scorecard(s) shall be distributed to the player listed first on each hole. After the cards have been distributed, groups shall be given adequate time to reach their assigned teeing areas. A loud noisemaker, such as an air horn, shall be used to indicate that there are two minutes remaining until tee off. This signal shall be a series of short blasts. All this time, players are to end practice and all practice shots and move promptly to their teeing areas. A throw by a player between the two minute signal and the start of the round shall receive a warning if by two or more players or an official. After being warned, subsequent throws by the player during this period, if observed by two or more players or an official, shall result in one penalty throw added to the player's score, regardless of the number of throws...
Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 183
How do you want others to call your rules violations on you?

Do that.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Bending Rodriguez

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 84
Send a message via AIM to B3NDER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
How do you want others to call your rules violations on you?

Do that.
Short and sweet
Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by livedoen4 View Post
Has the definition of a Practice Throw changed? It looks like it's any throw over 2 meters OR a throw, of any distance, towards the basket. Intentional or not...

800. Definitions

Practice Throw: During a round, the projection of a disc of a distance greater than two meters, OR of any distance toward a target intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie, either because it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie.
I think that's where alot of people are going wrong. At least in my opinion.

It says in the rules "towards a target", not "towards a basket". ANYTHING you actively aim for and then throw there is a practice. It does not have to be a basket. Could be your bag, a buddy, a tree, anything.

Note how the rule does not say "THE target" or "towards a BASKET".

So IMO anything tossed with a specific direction in mind, further or less far than 2 meters, towards a basket or not, always counts as practice throw.

Just dont do it.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 179
Unfortunately, "target" is not defined in section 800. But, in play, there are only two targets, the basket, and a mandatory in certain situations, so if the disc was not thrown 2 meters, and it was not thrown towards the hole's basket or mandatory, I would not consider it a practice throw.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post

So IMO anything tossed with a specific direction in mind, further or less far than 2 meters, towards a basket or not, always counts as practice throw.
So I walk up to my bag, and instead of perfectly placing it in, I get it half in and then project (ie: "throw") it 2cm to a target (the back of my bag): are you going to call me? After all, I am tossing it with a specific direction in mind.

If the rule is intended to read like you are reading it, then why is the 2m clause put in it? If the intention is that ANY projection of ANY distance at ANY target, then why wouldn't they just write "During a round, the projection of a disc any distance toward a target intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie..."
Old 06-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 161
i always start any rules enforcement with, "hold up a second, jackwagon".

Old 06-28-2012, 03:12 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkious View Post
So I walk up to my bag, and instead of perfectly placing it in, I get it half in and then project (ie: "throw") it 2cm to a target (the back of my bag): are you going to call me? After all, I am tossing it with a specific direction in mind.

If the rule is intended to read like you are reading it, then why is the 2m clause put in it? If the intention is that ANY projection of ANY distance at ANY target, then why wouldn't they just write "During a round, the projection of a disc any distance toward a target intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie..."
Because the practice throw rule is poorly worded and open to interpretation.