Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 PM

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Help W/Strong arming

I've read about the rec pec drill and pounding the hammer, and countless other threads/videos. But I'm clearly missing something because I max out around 330-350. I know you start by rotating your hips. Once your right shoulder is facing the target you pull your humerus in line with your torso. You then lock your humerus in place with your shoulder muscles. This is where I have a question. I currently engage my triceps to bring my forearm around and inline with everything else. Is that correct? Or are you supposed to keep your arm muscles as loose as possible and allow your forearm to come around using only the momentum previously generated?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 100
From my observations, most people max out around 330-350 feet of actual (real) distance when they are "weekend" players.

Of course, there are the guys that can throw a lot farther. I would think you need to play rounds with them to learn the nuances of their technique. I doubt you'll get anything from the net that will get you much more distance than you presently have.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 16
Keep your arm loose in the reach back. Focus on late acceleration after your hips start pulling your shoulders through and the disc is at your right pec.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:42 PM

The right pec position is were my question arises. My understanding of the right pec drill is once the disc is at your pec you use all your force to propel the disc forward. But that is not how I would pound a hammer. I would not use all of my force when the forks of the hammer are touching my bicep. I wait till much closer to the nail before tensing all my muscles.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffmyster View Post
But that is not how I would pound a hammer
The right pec drill teaches you where to start to accelerate. If you start to pull hard at the right pec, the timing is going to work out well accelerating into the hit. If you started to pull hard right when you get to the hit, then you would still be lacking power after it has left the hit or the power zone or whatever you want to call it.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
The right pec position is were my question arises. My understanding of the right pec drill is once the disc is at your pec you use all your force to propel the disc forward. But that is not how I would pound a hammer. I would not use all of my force when the forks of the hammer are touching my bicep. I wait till much closer to the nail before tensing all my muscles.
Im not sure you are holding the hammer correctly based on some of your statements and maybe not setup in stance correctly. I agree with your last statement though. Loose is fast and you should be whipping the lower arm instead of using your triceps to pull it although you can assist the levers with your muscles. Arm/shoulder muscles are used more for stopping levers or holding/building momentum to then release momentum more like springs.

Don't know if you seen this one:
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Im not sure you are holding the hammer correctly based on some of your statements and maybe not setup in stance correctly. I agree with your last statement though. Loose is fast and you should be whipping the lower arm instead of using your triceps to pull it although you can assist the levers with your muscles. Arm/shoulder muscles are used more for stopping levers or holding/building momentum to then release momentum more like springs.
Thank you.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
This. Keep that arm relaxed until the end, just like you'd hammer the nail.

Imagine the head of the hammer is opposite of your hand when you throw. You are power gripping at the base of the handle.

Also, as far as the biomechanics of timing - I find some people overthink it and try to perfectly "place" each muscle. The best thing is get out of your head and video it. That'll tell you what you're actually doing wrong, because it may not be what you think you're feeling is wrong - if that makes sense.