Old 06-26-2012, 12:41 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethH View Post
Can anyone tell me what a beat DX Firebird and a beat DX Teebird fly like? Do they retain their High speed stability when broken in?
With clean form, a teebird will lose low speed fade long before adding much high speed turn. A beat up dx teebird wants to lock into a really nice straight line, you can turn it over but it's not going to get flippy with a reasonable amount of wear.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: LHBH
im sure this has been asked but some terms are confusing me stable is one when a disc is more stable than another does that mean its more overstable or closer to stable on the range i e is a buzz more stable than a hornet also when people say flippy does that mean it anhyzers over or hyzers over right away. Also a flex shot is done with an overstable disc like a wraith, put on an anhyzer then flat then hyzer correct? another one for ya, can you hyzer flip an overstable disc like a wraith?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_84 View Post
im sure this has been asked but some terms are confusing me stable is one when a disc is more stable than another does that mean its more overstable or closer to stable on the range i e is a buzz more stable than a hornet also when people say flippy does that mean it anhyzers over or hyzers over right away. Also a flex shot is done with an overstable disc like a wraith, put on an anhyzer then flat then hyzer correct? another one for ya, can you hyzer flip an overstable disc like a wraith?
"Stable" is a term of discontent. lol. It helps more to discuss a disc in terms of both portions of flight stability - high speed and low speed. Personally, I'll use both "stable" and "neutral" for discs that have zero to minimal turn and minimal fade. Overstable tends to be used for discs that have a very heavy fade and are very resistant to turning in the high speed portion of flight. For your Buzz/Hornet example, I'd just reword it to "a buzz is closer to neutral than a hornet". It's less confusing that way. Since people are all over the board in the way they apply these words, you usually just have to take their words in context to figure out what they mean.

Flippy means that it's an understable (or very understable) disc that will turn over easily...although some people call discs flippy when they have poor form and the disc flips from that instead. Yes on the flex shot, but it can be done with discs of different stabilities depending on the power, spin, and height you give the disc...but yeah, usually done with overstable discs.

A Wraith is not an overstable disc unless someone is really underpowering it, causing it to fly more stable than the ratings. When thrown at true speed 11 power, it will turn a bit.

With a true overstable disc design it'll be hard to hyzer flip them until they get really beat in, or unless you add a lot of oat/wind/Hulk muscle. Depends on the particular disc, but generally people don't/can't hyzer flip truly overstable discs (Pig, Viper, Whippet, Teebird, Firebird, etc).
Old 06-26-2012, 02:56 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: LHBH
what do people mean when they say beefy, what is this beef and where can i haz sum
Old 06-26-2012, 02:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_84 View Post
what do people mean when they say beefy, what is this beef and where can i haz sum
super stable. think firebird, viper, drone, zone etc.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 135
Beefy means overstable.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 19
I was explaining Innova plastics to a friend who is an up-and-comer and this got me thinking because I couldn't answer his question:

Why does Star cost more when it doesn't last as long as Champ? Because typically the priices rise as durability rises.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 32.3
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcf5083 View Post
I was explaining Innova plastics to a friend who is an up-and-comer and this got me thinking because I couldn't answer his question:

Why does Star cost more when it doesn't last as long as Champ? Because typically the priices rise as durability rises.
When Innova first introduced CE plastic, it was the leader in durability over thier other choices, which were the DX and Pro blends.

The new plastic held its original flight characteristics far longer than anything else they had made, by far, tree hit after tree hit, crash landing after crash landing.

The one downside it had was, it got slick when it was wet. or cold, which made it hard to grip.

Star was introduced to have a plastic that offered better durability than Pro , or DX, but superior grip, in any conditions.

It does this VERY WELL.

The best feeling plastic from most companies, including Lat GL, Westside Tourney, and Star, are all very similar, and also the most expensive.

Star does beat in faster than Champ, but thats not always a bad thing.
A disc usually gains glide as it wears, extending its distance, Star just gets to the sweet spot faster than Champ does.

It just depends on what you want the disc to do for you, and how soon.

I dont mind paying more for Star plastic, I prefer the grip over Champion, its worth the extra buck or two.

Echo is a scam though.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

I'd semi-educatedly guess that the price in material is negligible....the higher product price is most likely based upon perceived value, i.e. marketing.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
idk if this is dumb or not but what is the difference in flight between a pro wraith compared to a champ for RHFH. Ive noticed many people on this site praise the pro wraith and cant figure out why.