Disc Golf Center
Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 PM

Courses Played: 15
right pec drill question

So I've watched Beato's vid several times and though I had a good idea of how to do the right pec drill. I stood with the disc hugged against my left pec (I'm a lefty) and therefore my elbow was bent. I then basically snapped my elbow out and threw the disc with little to no body rotation. Now my elbow hurts and I really believe that this has led to me strong arming the disc more. Can someone explain to me the hip and shoulder rotation involved in this "drill"
thanks...
Old 06-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Sounds like tennis elbow to me. I had some of the same elbow pain issues, but after following these exercises the pain went away. I also do exercises 1 & 2 before I throw which has helped a lot too.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
oh yeah and for your original question, see if this helps:

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Well don't rotate off your toe. Rotate off your heel.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
oh yeah and for your original question, see if this helps:

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
How is that supposed to help?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
Sounds like tennis elbow to me. I had some of the same elbow pain issues, but after following these exercises the pain went away. I also do exercises 1 & 2 before I throw which has helped a lot too.
thanks for the info, i am going to give this a try, i am not a doc so i am not sure exactly how these help with the elbow issues but i am sure willing to try anything
Old 06-28-2012, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 33
Watch this so you can learn how to work the right pec drill without strong arming and learn to get your body into it.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheType View Post
Watch this so you can learn how to work the right pec drill without strong arming and learn to get your body into it.
This is the best fix to bad right pec drills.
If you can't snap then you can't do the right pec. You'll end up locking your arm straight out thinking that's what causes snap.
This is my one big gripe with the right pec vid, they make no attempt to explain the steps you need to take prior to right pec so you end up with a bunch of guys with sore elbows
Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 PM

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspector View Post
So I've watched Beato's vid several times and though I had a good idea of how to do the right pec drill. I stood with the disc hugged against my left pec (I'm a lefty) and therefore my elbow was bent. I then basically snapped my elbow out and threw the disc with little to no body rotation. Now my elbow hurts and I really believe that this has led to me strong arming the disc more. Can someone explain to me the hip and shoulder rotation involved in this "drill"
thanks...
Beato said in one of his posts (I can't remember which one now) that your arm should be straight, but your elbow should be slightly bent at the hit. This is to prevent hyperextension, which IMO is what happened. At the moment of release your whole arm AND shoulder should be firm. You allow your body to continue rotating as much as it needs to dissipate the remaining force (aka follow through).

Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violets caddy View Post
This is my one big gripe with the right pec vid, they make no attempt to explain the steps you need to take prior to right pec so you end up with a bunch of guys with sore elbows
To be fair, when the video was made there were no other drills developed before the right pec drill. Now it's probably best to do the hammer pound drills first and then use the right pec drill as your first actual throws. You pound the hammer from the right pec position but actually throw the disc. Once you can do that then you add a reach back and more steps. Though sometimes it helps to start with a bit of a reach back and a step to get the feel for the weight transfer, but going back and making sure you can do it from the right pec after that is a good idea.