Old 07-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Norman, Oklahoma

Well, I'm beginning to get into disc far deeper than any of my normal group of friends. It seems almost impossible to find someone to play more often than once every-other-week or so, so I'm putting out a call to all of you other players in the area who would like to play a few rounds in the Norman/Noble/Moore area (btw, heard that the new Moore course is really nice. Looking forward to trying that one out).

I normally play in the weekday after to hit up the course once or twice a week, hollar at me.I play afternoons after I get off work (5ish), and during the weekends I can normally get a round in just about whenever on Sunday and Monday (I work Tues-Sat, and am back in school full-time beginning fall semester).

When I go play, I'm there to play a good round then get back to the grind of responsibility, as my schedule really doesn't allow me to take a ton of time to play slow rounds (well, wife and child might have something to do with that ).

If you're in the area and are into discing more than chucking and have a desire to play a few times a week, hit me up.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 291
I'll be visiting Norman in late Oct, can you show me the best course(s) in the area?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discNDav View Post
I'll be visiting Norman in late Oct, can you show me the best course(s) in the area?
Absolutely. We have long, short, wide open, and extremely technical. I'd be happy to show you all.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by discNDav View Post
all the courses around norman are the sh*t, all within 10-15min:

griffin- one of my favorite courses ive played, i prefer the original tees (whites) technical, really tough- 2 blocks from lyons
lyons- steady ed course, modified beautifully, playing this is a treat
noble- awesome course, technical and thick, requires your best game

i moved out of oklahoma right before the moore course was installed, i hear its a great course also, really close to 19th hole disc golf shop
Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notBOB View Post
all the courses around norman are the sh*t, all within 10-15min:

griffin- one of my favorite courses ive played, i prefer the original tees (whites) technical, really tough- 2 blocks from lyons
lyons- steady ed course, modified beautifully, playing this is a treat
noble- awesome course, technical and thick, requires your best game

i moved out of oklahoma right before the moore course was installed, i hear its a great course also, really close to 19th hole disc golf shop
Dead on! The only problem with Sparky's 19th Hole Disc Golf Shop is that IT'S NEVER OPEN. NEVER. I've been by that place more than a handful of times, during its posted open hours btw, and not a single time has there been a single bit of life inside. Instead, I was peering through the glass door wishing like a kid on Christmas that I could get inside and touch some sweet plastic. Looked like a great selection, but I'd like to get inside and find out for sure.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Birdie Member

By the way, NE Lions is the oldest course in Oklahoma, said to have been built in 1972. It's not the most difficult, or the longest, but it's a way cool course with great character.

Both Lions and Griffin are within 1/2 mile from each other, and my house almost splits the two perfectly. Great for me, annoying for my wife.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_rider View Post
Dead on! The only problem with Sparky's 19th Hole Disc Golf Shop is that IT'S NEVER OPEN. NEVER. I've been by that place more than a handful of times, during its posted open hours btw, and not a single time has there been a single bit of life inside. Instead, I was peering through the glass door wishing like a kid on Christmas that I could get inside and touch some sweet plastic. Looked like a great selection, but I'd like to get inside and find out for sure.
awwh no bueno! ive been there several times early spring, they allowed smoking cigs in the shop. though im not a smoker thats pretty badass. i warmed up putting before my rounds, sparky had some wicked rare discs we were googoo over. man, i hope everything is going well.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notBOB View Post
awwh no bueno! ive been there several times early spring, they allowed smoking cigs in the shop. though im not a smoker thats pretty badass. i warmed up putting before my rounds, sparky had some wicked rare discs we were googoo over. man, i hope everything is going well.
I think he has been crazy busy with getting the Moore course up and running. Last I heard, he was just a few holes away from wrapping it up. They're waiting on the city to finish the pond so they can finish the holes and, in particular, #17 with the saaaweeeet island basket .

Sadly, he had a minor heat stroke and cardiac issue a few weeks ago that put him in the hospital for a few days. He was investing far too much time on building the course and not watching the Oklahoma heat and his own hydration, as I understand. Never a good combination. That being said, I was trying to hit up the store far before said incident, so I can only assume that he was too tied up with the build to be able to man the shop.

Back to the OP, you're in for really good discing here in Oklahoma. Bring your wind game! It's always prevalent this area of the map....
Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 87
I'd skip out on the Moore course. It is very cramped and extremely dangerous. If the designer hadn't had to shoehorn 18 holes onto the property, he might have been able to find a decent nine hole layout. But as it plays now it seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. It was so bad that I walked off the course without finishing my round, which was the first time I've done that in 7+ years of playing.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Sparky has been facing a lot in his personal life and some serious health issues....don't want to say much more about that. I hope things will improve and the shop will reopen - it had such a great start and we couldn't ask for a better disc supplier and staff. We're lucky to have a lot of really good courses here. Griffin and Mitch are my local favorites. I haven't played Noble since they poured the first few pads and it was pretty rough then...looks like it'll be a great course with some traffic, if it's not already that way.

GT Chris...not to dog you but that's the first negative comment I've heard from anyone about the new Moore course. You aren't talking about the old baptist school course are you? That's only 9 holes. I haven't been to the new one but thus far people seem pretty excited about the layout. Is it really that bad?