Old 07-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bad View Post
The rules only pertain to your stance at the time of release. You could start a mile behind your lie so long as at the point of release you satisfy the conditions of the legal stance shown in the diagrams.
You'll have to do your run up really fast because you only get 30 seconds to throw once it's your turn. Man, that would be like the fastest mile run EVER!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rock View Post
You'll have to do your run up really fast because you only get 30 seconds to throw once it's your turn. Man, that would be like the fastest mile run EVER!
Challenge accepted.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 30
I thought you are allowed to touch your mini, just not the top of it:

Rule 803.04 A. (2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
Old 07-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 12
Ok why is placing a mini legal, but flipping your disc over from its lie (transforming it into a GIANT mini) not legal?? Is it because of the whole 'moving your original lie' thing?

FWIW, I do this all the time in casual rounds cuz I'm too lazy to reach for a mini.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawgl View Post
I thought you are allowed to touch your mini, just not the top of it:

Rule 803.04 A. (2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
Nope can't touch it, because technically you would make yourself closer to the hole if you did
Old 07-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Um... View Post
Ok why is placing a mini legal, but flipping your disc over from its lie (transforming it into a GIANT mini) not legal?? Is it because of the whole 'moving your original lie' thing?

FWIW, I do this all the time in casual rounds cuz I'm too lazy to reach for a mini.
By flipping the disc your actual lie could move forward when the disc lands and slides thus not really playing where it lies. Rules are rules......although flipping the disc is usually accepted in most leagues and casual play
Old 07-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 17
Quote:

Because that's the rule. Also... I have "flipped" a disc, and it was not exactly where a mini might have been put (Either from the disc slipping, or on an odd hill). Essentially, you cannot touch anything until it is marked.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicRib View Post
Nope can't touch it, because technically you would make yourself closer to the hole if you did
I assert that even though the grey ball is touching the black ball, the front of the grey ball is no closer to the orange rectangle than the back of the black ball. Am I wrong?

Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 24
Quote:

It opens up the possibility of people flipping their discs over multiple times, accidentally or otherwise. Having a fixed position for your lie, either with a mini or the disc itself, solves that.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawgl View Post
I assert that even though the grey ball is touching the black ball, the front of the grey ball is no closer to the orange rectangle than the back of the black ball. Am I wrong?

no you're not wrong but that's not the way the rule is written.

But your Mini is not fixed to the ground at a constant point. Therefore if you're touching your mini your foot may or may not have moved your mini or marker disc forward ever so slightly.

So basically you cant touch your marker disc for the same reason you can't flip your disc and use that as your lie.

For the record if your foot was just ever so slightly touching your mini as it is in the picture you provided I woudln't call you on it.