Old 07-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

a) it's really important for people to drop this notion that a few grams of difference in weight will make a difference in flight. Accuracy in weighing would be nice, but it's just not a big deal.

b) it's true that there are several factors involved that can affect this.

c) humidity and water gain are minimal, and the addition of "dirt on the disc" is flat out ridiculous (almost insulting if you stop to think about it). Polyurethanes have a 24hr standard water absorption rating (submersion) of 0.4% to a max of 1.5% gain...the lower numbers belonging to the polys that are more firm. I'd expect the Proton plastic to be around the 1% range, just a guess. All plastics do "breathe" on a microscopic level but it's so very minimal. So one percent of a 175g disc is less than two grams...and two grams of water gain is not going to happen through atmospheric humidity changes in a normal real-world environment. When I see a disc that's mismarked by four grams and someone says it's from water gain/loss, I just want to strangle them for not doing their research and repeating information with "authority" that just isn't accurate. That max water gain is going to come from long term submersion and even then it's not going to retain it for long. Ever since I heard Innova downplaying weighing problems, I've paid attention and between my own good quality scales and lab-quality ones that I have access to, I've repeatedly weighed a lot of discs and done some tests over time. Most of what is tossed around the disc golf industry in this regard is just bunk.

d) See point A and make it so.

Last edited by Oklahyzer; 07-23-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahyzer View Post
a) it's really important for people to drop this notion that a few grams of difference in weight will make a difference in flight. Accuracy in weighing would be nice, but it's just not a big deal.
This is an opinion. I notice the weight within a couple grams and the discs do fly different for me. Putters glide more when they are only a couple grams lighter and mids and drivers come out of my hand at higher speeds when they are lighter. If accuracy can only be measured within a couple of grams than that is how the disc should be marked (for example Discraft's method). When you put a specific weight on the disc it would lead the customer to believe the disc weighs that exact amount.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve a View Post
Don't try to dry them out in the sun.
I can attest to this: (not the reason why I left it outside, for anyone who hasn't seen my thread on it)

Quote:
This is an opinion. I notice the weight within a couple grams and the discs do fly different for me. Putters glide more when they are only a couple grams lighter and mids and drivers come out of my hand at higher speeds when they are lighter. If accuracy can only be measured within a couple of grams than that is how the disc should be marked (for example Discraft's method). When you put a specific weight on the disc it would lead the customer to believe the disc weighs that exact amount.
Pocket. Scale.

BOOM!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
I agree about the accuracy...I think manufacturers too often fall short of where they should be in this process. But there are important tradeoffs and limitations here. They can't control every variable and there really are some valid reasons that the weight at the time of manufacture (and assuming good practices/quality scales) can be different than when weight later. The only time it really beefs me is when we start seeing 3-5 grams difference (and rarely, more)...but still, I don't think it's anything to really get disappointed over. The smart solution is to buy from retailers that weigh their discs, take your scale with you to the store, or be willing to weigh your new discs and return them if they're too far off for your preferences. Bottom line is that it's far too difficult to get 100% accuracy with these products/materials, and people need to understand that...and understand that compared to the other variables we deal with in the end products, weight is the least important of all, pound for pound. There are some glaring mistakes from time to time, and some manufacturers are consistently worse than others (looking at you, Innova), but overall they all do a decent job, considering. The worst thing is the expectations/miseducation most consumers have, combined with the simplistic or denial-ish explanations that we sometimes see from the manufacturers. If it were a bigger deal overall, it would merit the attention it gets. lol

Last edited by Oklahyzer; 07-23-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 87
Why not wait till the product is heading out the door to weigh it. This will give it time to gain a couple grams before it is assigned an accurate weight. Or just use weight ranges so the customer is not assuming an accurate weight.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Why not wait till the product is heading out the door to weigh it. This will give it time to gain a couple grams before it is assigned an accurate weight. Or just use weight ranges so the customer is not assuming an accurate weight.
Yes, because doing a weight range would be the perfect solution.

I keep ordering 170-175 and they keep sending me 175s!!!! Maybe I'll order a 165-170 this time to get a 170.. WTF I got a 165! GRRRRRRG
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
Yes, because doing a weight range would be the perfect solution.

I keep ordering 170-175 and they keep sending me 175s!!!! Maybe I'll order a 165-170 this time to get a 170.. WTF I got a 165! GRRRRRRG
Solution= Discgolfcenter.com
Old 07-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 35
This is a questions to the folks at MVP:

Will the Volt be available in lower weights (under 170g)?
Old 07-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 1
MVP website says 168g-175g

Old 07-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violets caddy View Post
MVP website says 168g-175g
I hope they actually produce some in that range.
Closed Thread