Old 08-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
I used to be primarily a RHFH thrower as I was getting better distance with it when I first started playing. I would use the FH for just about any drive where I wanted it to go straight or right. But I was always inconsistant. Sometimes it was a beaurtiful 300+ drive, but mostly I would shank them into trouble. Because I was determined to control it I did not develope my backhand except for mid shots. My left turn Hyzer drive shots and right turn annyzer shots suffered as well because I was developing my forehand at the expense of my backhand.

Then early last year (2011) I accidentally bitch slapped a tree on a makeup hole. It was a full strength drive with a sickening CRACK. Fortunately I did not break anything but it was pretty sore for a while. To my amazement I could still throw a backhand without much discomfort, but forehand was too painful. So I threw backhand while my hand healed. Guess what? My back hand deveolped to the point that I sarted hitting the right turn shots more consistently with my backhand annie. Within a month or so, I was birdying all of my old forehnd holes with my backhand and more often!

I still use my forehand, but only when it is my best option, mostly on upshots where the forehand has the best angle due to trees or obstacles. Occasionaly I will still use it on a drive that calls for a right turn, but I have gained a lot of confidence in my BH. I have also started hitting the same distances more reliably than my FH.

But of course, that was my experience and YMMV.

Rick G
Old 08-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 296
Throwing Style: RHFH
I've been working on the backhand for years. I can forehand just under 400 and only backhand about 250. I could probably work harder on it though.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
I also think that I should be throwing backhand its more accurate for me but doesn't go nearly as far.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
I do less finger flicks because they are unpredictable because I cannot control them my favorite is a 360 degree turn and launch a backhand.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 35
I never drive in serious play with anything but forehand. I have a backhand, and it's decent, but forehand just works so much better for me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Everyone is built differently, ya know.