Old 08-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've seen groups indifferent to sorting things out but not maliciously trying to screw someone. Not that it doesn't happen.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 56
It doesn't have to be malicious. It might just be someone who misunderstands the rule.

"No, I heard them talk about this on DGCR, you can't throw through a bush if you're going to break branches"
Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
Quote:
aardvarkious - You seem to be saying that if you blast through a bush with the purpose of getting to the basket, and happen to break some branches, then that is not deliberate damage. But if you blast through a window that has a spider web, and happen to damage the web, then that IS deliberate damage. What is the difference between the two scenarios?
Depends if you and the group saw the big spider web with the spider in it. There are thousands of throws that likely have passed thru abandoned or active spider webs without anyone knowing it unless there were web fibers on your disc when you picked it up. In the example given, if there's a big ass web right in front of your lie that everyone sees and probably comments on with a big ass spider in it, then it's your responsibility to try and throw around it.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Depends if you and the group saw the big spider web with the spider in it. There are thousands of throws that likely have passed thru abandoned or active spider webs without anyone knowing it unless there were web fibers on your disc when you picked it up. In the example given, if there's a big ass web right in front of your lie that everyone sees and probably comments on with a big ass spider in it, then it's your responsibility to try and throw around it.
But everyone sees the hypothetical bush we are blasting through. So are you saying that if you are in a heavy bush, and blasting through it is likely to take off at least a couple of leaves, it is your responsibility to try and throw around it?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
Yes, although it's unlikely anyone is going to call you on it. If you can avoid throwing thru the bush, I would think that's a better option anyway.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 34
Spiderwebs can suck it, I don't want anything to do with em. My brother got bit on the leg when playing once... It's healing but it's gnarly looking.

If I were in a tourny, I'd just take the stroke throwing around OR above it. TOMAHAWKS ALL DAY SON! haha
Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 8
I call BS on the not damaging the Spiderweb rule. First of all I'm just such a bad shot that I was trying to miss the web, but unfortunately it went right through the middle of it. Second, the posiblilty that everyone is not playing the same course is just absurd. Either beacause the spiderweb wasn't there earlier or someone "accidently" threw or walked through it. If you could be penalizes for throwing your disc into obstacles in the line of play, I want to know how many penalties were handed out during this years worlds. I'm guessing there was a lot of tree hits.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
A spider web clearly constitutes an obstacle. So it can not be moved. Unless...

...spiders could be considered "harmful animals."
Quote:
With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described in 803.05 B, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course.
But is it an obstacle or a casual obstacle? I'd say that since most spider webs tend to come and go and are not a regular part of the course that it is a casual obstacle, no different than a few leaves or a piece of trash.