Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: LHBH
Throwing Question

I have a question about Driving.....I know or have a general idea of what your supposed to do, yet I dont do it and I want to ask a few questions!

1. On my run up, I dont face the basket I'm already sideways.....is doing that really that bad? If I start my run up facing straight I seem not to have enough pad too throw.

2. I know I know I know, but yet I have never done it......I dont let the disc rip out of my hand, I let it go! I throw kinda low and straight, so I never tried to actually do this. Open area I can drive between 320-350, and in a tight wooded area I'm saying 250-300. So how much does this actually hurt my throw? Does anybody just release the disc like I do?

3. Last question is that I prefure putting my thumb on the rim, and I see alot of guys putting there thumbs alittle past the rim to apply more pressure on the disc. I tried doing something like this and I'm throwing nose up.

Ill try to get a video of me throwing this weekend so you guys can see what I'm doing.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
1. Huh? I've never seen someone face the basket when they're driving. You're supposed to be sideways at the beginning, turn your hips away (some say turn your back to the basket completely), and let your legs and core provide most of the power.

2. That definitely hurts you if you're consciously letting go. You want the power and speed of your throw to rip the disc out of your hand. You're already getting better distance than I do, but you can do even better if you hold onto the disc and let the momentum do the job. Are you sure that you're letting go of it though? I don't know how possible it is to truly hold on and still be accurate at that distance. Maybe you just think you're letting go? If not, just hold the disc loosely and don't let go. It sounds simple because it is. Hold onto the disc as tight as you should of course, but don't release your grip. Just let the disc rip out of your hand. I've never had a problem with this from day one. It's just a natural thing.

3. I haven't focused on that part of my game, so take the next (obvious) point with a grain of salt: If you're throwing nose up, focus on throwing it nose down. Example: Lately I've noticed that my form keeps the disc away from my body, which means that I'm strong arming it. I've focused most of my field work on tucking it in close so that it will ultimately become second nature. Then I'll focus more on keeping my shoulder down and being more accurate. Point being? Focus on one thing at a time if that's what it takes.

Bottom line: You're already getting better distance than a lot of us, so if you're accurate too? Don't worry about it too much. Just work on it one step at a time and you'll still improve over time.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Eagle Member

b-mart~ I actually release my grip and let the disc go, it doesnt rip out of my hands! my driving isnt that bad, thats why I'm asking if I let it rip out what will it do for my game.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
1. Often when I see a player standing straight at the basket to aim, it's gonna be a massive strong arm attempt with the shoulders opening way too early. Nothing really wrong with starting straight on, if your aiming is correct and you turn back enough.

2. Letting go of the disc would tend to spray left or right more often than a rip point. It also makes it much harder to transfer momentum to the disc or get more distance.

3. Grip is a little tricky although basics are that if your thumb is too far to the edge you will tend to slip out of power although get more nose down. Thumb closer to middle of disc gives more power but nose up. Changing your swing mechanics can also change things in the grip.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 56
1. The more you can turn away, the more you can get into the throw; generally. But that's just talking about the last part of the throw. If you're using an X step, etc., turning away on the first step doesn't do anything.

2. 1 billion %
Work on a heel pivot and better weight shift and it will be a lot easier.

3. Mostly preference, but my thumb is just barely over the rim. I also have the pad of my thumb-palm area on the disc.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
1. The more you can turn away, the more you can get into the throw; generally. But that's just talking about the last part of the throw. If you're using an X step, etc., turning away on the first step doesn't do anything.

2. 1 billion %
Work on a heel pivot and better weight shift and it will be a lot easier.

3. Mostly preference, but my thumb is just barely over the rim. I also have the pad of my thumb-palm area on the disc.
Dan , that damn heel pivot is a work in progress....I feel like I'm going to mess up my knee! Hopefully video this wed

Old 08-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoz View Post
I feel like I'm going to mess up my knee!
It's significantly easier on your body. It's not something that happens over-night (or maybe it does). Just keep your weight on the inside of your legs and shift your weight, instead of turning your weight.