Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 106
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've made four benches so far at Lava Creek DGC in Paradise, CA. They look like this (minus the lady):

The owners have piles of wood they allow me to sift through with the tractor and cut up with my chainsaw.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Actually, I have disassembled them for slats which I added to other pallets while building a triple bin composter. Losses/waste averaged nearly 40%. Your idea of cutting off half the top and utilizing the remaining slats seems much more efficient.

I am going to try one or two of these but I am somewhat concerned that they will be too easy for someone to carry to their car or even toss off into the blackberry bushes.

As you said, working from scratch with normal lumber is much easier. After reviewing this thread several times I began researching the Aldo-Leopold design which russgreenebean posted earlier in this thread. http://snohomishcd.org/plant-sale/Al...pold-Bench.pdf There are numerous online schematics but they all seem to max out at 48" of seating space.

Wish I could stretch these out to 72" or even 96" to make people think 4 times before trying to carry them off. Stresses from bowing on the seat may be too high and the center of balance might even be affected by longer lengths. Guess I could bolt two 48" benches together.
That's always a risk with anything not cemented in place. Bolting a couple together might help some, or even chaining them to an anchor. If you search around, you might be able to find some 6' pallets. Getting them free (or at all) hasn't been all that easy in my experience, unless you happen to work somewhere or know someone. Seems like most companies have contracts to either return or sell their pallets, especially if they're the good, strong kind.

I love the natural log benches. Around here we only have like four trees that are large enough to do that with, though. lol
Old 05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 28.4
Courses Played: 62
Here is a document I sent to Fairfax County in 2008 pertaining to Bench Placement at Giles Run Meadow.

Bench placement priorities

1. Safe for all bench users
2. Disc flight visibility for all bench users.
3. A place to rest.
4. Scenic view opportunities (Sit here and look at this!)

1. Safe for all bench users
Benches have a tendency to draw non disc golfers to sit on them. Recreational tee pads located in the line of flight from the pro tees should never have a bench! Applies to Rec. tee #5, #6 and #14 at Giles Run.

No part of the bench should be closer than 10 feet to the front line of the tee. Not only is this in the peripheral vision of the thrower, it is very unsafe if the player on the tee “Yanks” the disc. A “Yank” is when the player releases the disc too late and it leaves their hand at up to a 90 degree angle from the intended direction. The longer swing imparts more momentum and speed than a normal throw.

A bystander near the front of the tee has a slight chance of dodging or protecting themselves if they are quick and paying attention. Bench users are sitting ducks! I initially wanted to place the tee signs at the back of the teepad to keep "players who lean on the sign" out of harms way.

2. Disc flight visibility for all bench users.
There is a PDGA rule pertaining to lost discs stating that “all” players in a group are responsible for watching the flight of discs to reduce the possibility of losing a disc. Optimal bench placement is behind the tee. This offers the same fairway visibility as the person on the tee. No part of the bench should be closer than 9 feet to the back of the tee allowing for 5 feet of run up and 4 feet of congregation space.

Benches can be placed on either side, near the back of tees following these parameters:
No part of the bench should be closer than 6 feet to the side of the tee.
Bench should not be parallel to long side of tee. Example: First person sees, second person leans to see, third and fourth persons see nothing!

3. There are numerous long walks...<deleted>

Old 06-16-2012, 05:11 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 1159
Throwing Style: LHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to danhyzer
I personally like benches. yes one could drink or smoke while sitting on a bench, but there are for more positives than negatives for a bench as they provide a place to sit and relax and soak up the scenery and wait til the hole is cleared. If one's park is known for unlawful ways then you'll get what you'll get, but if it's in a nice park you should have to many problems.

If my memory serves me well almost every hole that I played in the KC area had a bench. Pretty impressive. At the park where our club is currently working on to improve we have benches that have been simply made from old cherry trees that have been cut into 3 foot sections and have axed sections into the the stumps that are lying on the ground so the bench part can easily rest atop of the stump laying on the ground.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 34
One thing we've discussed for a new course in this area is to recycle old fence panels. Easy to break down and they have all the components needed to make a simple bench. Just have to wait for the next windstorm to knock over some fences and BAM! free materials.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

These are my benches at Lava Creek DGC in Paradise CA:

Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Old 08-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Old 08-15-2012, 01:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

I had the pleasure of using all wood that had been felled on the property. I had two generations of benches, ones without wood screws, and ones with screws. For the most part making my second generation benches has saved a significant amount of time. Find a log and make sure there is a mid point that is equal on both sides. Chainsaw the log in half (this takes time an patience according to ones chainsaw). Cut two round logs at the same length making sure the cut base is level. Cut sections on the ends of your planks to lay flat on the two sections cut to rest upon. Use a power grinder to sand down rough chainsaw marks. Apply boiled linseed oil to prevent damage. If you have any questions please let me know, I am more than willing to help.