Old 06-29-2012, 07:48 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by livedoen4 View Post
I'm a relatively new player but I play as much DG as I can. I enjoy PDGA play, local club play and playing with my buddies who just want to take a hike and make a disc fly. Sportsmanship and trying to get more people involved in the sport is very important so recreational and local club play should be focused on fun. PDGA play should also be enjoyable but not at the expense of the PDGA rules of play.

I was recently at an A-tier playing in the MA-2 (Int) division. It was unbelievable how many falling putts I saw, throwing discs across the fairway to other players or back to a bag, stance violations, drinking and smoking...just gross disregard for many of the fundamental rules of play.

I started off in the Rec division because that was the "learning division" but after playing one or two events I soon realized ALL PDGA divisions are competitive and its the players responsibility to know the rules.

I want to start making more calls or drawing more attention to the rules during tournament play. I do not mind being thought of as a Nazi but I do want to practice sportsmanship while making the calls. There are many common scenarios where a call is needed. How would you initiate a call?

1. A falling putt.
2. Stance violation (lined up improperly)
3. Smoking pot or drinking alcohol.
4. Tossing a disc in anger or unknowingly throwing it back to the bag or another player.
5. Cursing or kicking a bag.

I'm sure many more will come to mind.

Thanks!
This is an outstanding question.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohr View Post

Correct me if I am wrong but I am allowed to throw my disc to my bag as long as it is under 6 feet away.
It can not be thrown towards the basket at all. 6ft only counts if thrown away from the basket.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve a View Post
It can not be thrown towards the basket at all. 6ft only counts if thrown away from the basket.
That all comes down to what constitutes "toward a target". How precise is "toward" to be interpreted and how is "a target" to be interpreted?

Is 1m and 45 degrees off from the direction to the basket "towards a target"?.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 37.3
Courses Played: 179
Throwing Style: RHBH
If the disc is thrown so that it is closer to the target after it was thrown than before, then it was thrown toward the target. That would be roughly 90 degrees left or right.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:27 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGRZ001 View Post
If the disc is thrown so that it is closer to the target after it was thrown than before, then it was thrown toward the target. That would be roughly 90 degrees left or right.
Problem is that it says _a_ target.

That can be in any direction, making "toward" having no defined direction, before making the throw.
It makes no sense for me to interpret that as anything else than having _a_ specific target in mind for the throw. As in _praticising_ your throw.

I would be hard pressed to call a 1,5m throw 85 degrees to the side "a throw towards a target" (unless it was the actual throw gone bad ofc.).

The rule is, I would think, there to prevent your from making practice putts on a basket you have already finished fx. Or against something else. That can easily be away from the basket you are playing next.

So, to me at least, it is not so clear cut.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 37
Unless the disc was intentionally thrown directly towards the basket I doubt a less than 2 meter throw would ever be called. It's when a player throws a disc to a caddie or tosses it across a fairway that is an obvious violation. I saw another guy toss a disc to his bag and it stood up and rolled down a hill...about 90 feet.

I noticed on the PDGA site there is document called "How to Run a PDGA Tour Event". It suggests the TD go over common rules for novice or beginner players. If that actually happened I think it would make players more mindful that this is a sanctioned event and they are responsible knowing and following the PDGA rules of play.

How to Run a PDGA Tour Event
C. PLAYER'S MEETING
C3. Basic Rules
Go over a few of the more basic rules for any new or novice players. This should include: use of a mini and proper stance, a falling putt, and, for everyone, courtesy towards fellow players - show other players the same courtesy and respect that you would expect them to show you. Remind players that no alcoholic beverages or drugs are allowed. : "Respect Park Laws and the PDGA Rules of Play!" Have fun.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 56
They clearly mean the basket/object and not any ole thing your disc happens to be aimed at when it leaves your hand. If someone is putting at a tree trunk for practice that would be pretty distiguishable from a pitch of the disc to or around your bag.

Anyone who is caught up in the wording of "target", and arguing that it means anything can be construed as a target as long as you could throw your disc at it, is a tool
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 71
Reviving this thread to share a story from the Vibram.

I got to see firsthand how pros call violations.

On hole 8, Nikko was lining up a tough ~50' uphill putt for birdie. Garret Gurthie and Nate Doss were well behind him observing. GG noticed something, went to Nate and pointed. Couldn't hear what was said, but as soon as Nikko released, Nate announced very matter-of-factly, "Foot fault." He called it well before the disc buried itself in the chains for a nice birdie. GG seconded and they explained that by performing a jump putt off his toes, his stance was actually beside his lie rather than behind it.

So Nikko retrieved his putter, adjusted his stance and missed the second attempt. Leading to a brief disc stomping tantrum.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
Reviving this thread to share a story from the Vibram.

I got to see firsthand how pros call violations.

On hole 8, Nikko was lining up a tough ~50' uphill putt for birdie. Garret Gurthie and Nate Doss were well behind him observing. GG noticed something, went to Nate and pointed. Couldn't hear what was said, but as soon as Nikko released, Nate announced very matter-of-factly, "Foot fault." He called it well before the disc buried itself in the chains for a nice birdie. GG seconded and they explained that by performing a jump putt off his toes, his stance was actually beside his lie rather than behind it.

So Nikko retrieved his putter, adjusted his stance and missed the second attempt. Leading to a brief disc stomping tantrum.
I wonder how much stomping there would have been if they'd actually enforced the rest of that rule:

803.04. Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off -
H. The player may not retrieve the originally thrown disc prior to the re-throw, except in the case of a putt from within 10 meters. Where a disc is retrieved in violation of this rule, a one throw penalty shall be imposed without a warning.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERicJ View Post
I wonder how much stomping there would have been if they'd actually enforced the rest of that rule:

803.04. Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off -
H. The player may not retrieve the originally thrown disc prior to the re-throw, except in the case of a putt from within 10 meters. Where a disc is retrieved in violation of this rule, a one throw penalty shall be imposed without a warning.
Yeah, I was pretty confused as to why they were letting him retrieve it. It was a jump putt, so clearly they agreed he was out of the circle.