Old 08-27-2012, 01:03 PM

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 171
Manitowoc, Wisconsin on Labor Day

I am planning to take the ferry from Ludington to Manitowoc on Sunday night after the Michigan State Finals, and playing some Wisconsin courses on Labor Day (Sept 3rd).

Looking at Silver Creek, Winter Park, and Rollin Ridge.

Would there be any problems playing any of the courses that day, and any advantages/disadvantages to playing them in a certain order (crowds, hours, other)? I want to get started early (6:30 am or so).

Also, is there some other course I should be considering? I am going to be driving back home through Chicago that night, so would prefer to not get too much farther North or West.

Finally if there is anybody local who would like to play a round or more that day, that would be great. Hoping the remnants of Isaac don't get this far north.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 05:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 711
Silver Creek is the only course of the group that can often be quite crowded....so, you may want to play that one first? Ridge has Saturday leagues at 10 a.m., if that interests you. Most often singles, but sometimes doubles. You can find them on facebook, if you want to check for this week. So, perhaps Silver and then leagues at Ridge?

Winter is the biggest work out of the three and so, maybe you want to play that one in the cool morning? It is your farthest point, as well, I believe.

Those are the big three, in the area, for sure. Winter and Ridge take a bit longer than your average course; and Silver is now 22 holes I believe also; so, add a bit of playing time for all three; into your plans.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the info. I will only be there on Monday so should not run into the Ridge league.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:06 AM

I would go to Silver Creek first. You're close to it obviously, and it's never crowded in the morning. There is only one guy there before 8 AM most mornings...and thats me, although I won't be there tomorrow.

I think Winter Park is a bit out of the way, but if you swapped Lower Cato Falls in you'd have an easier day but a much less interesting course as well. If it were me I'd probably just do Silver Creek, Lower Cato, Rollin Ridge since the driving is easier and Lower Cato is really just a walk in the park (and no one will be there).
Old 09-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Cato Falls is laughable if you're considering Winter Park! Its a SUCK-a$$ course throwing 264-325' across the wide open with almost no creativity except 4-5 holes. It is a bloody shame they ruined Manitowalk in the Park tournament by making players go out and rot away on that horribly lame course rather than throwing two rounds from each of the long sets of tees and the alternate pin positions at Silver Creek!

Winter Park is 35 minutes north of Silver Creek, and then you can wind diagonally over to Rollin Ridge via county highways and get there in about 45-50 minutes.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:53 PM

Thanks to all for the information. I did end up playing Silver Creek first, then Winter Park and Rollin Ridge. Bothered by a stiff back for the first round and a half, but enjoyed all three. Rollin will go into my personal top ten.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 711
The Ridge is planned to have an actual waterfall incorporated into one of those long field holes; at some point. So, now you just need to talk the ferry into having some cheap semiannual disc golf, cheap ferry days!!! Michigan side is so awesome as well; but, that ferry is crazy expensive.