Old 09-24-2012, 02:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.8
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhadella View Post
How hard is it to navigate the course on your own with the map posted here? I'd love to play it this week before the tourney.
There's a 2012 map on dgcr here:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=27&mode=lf
Old 09-24-2012, 02:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: RHBH
I'll be most likely getting down there on Friday night. I hope to play the course as much as I can before the tourney starts, otherwise I'll most likely be playing other Charlotte courses. Would love to play Nevin and Renny again, it has been a while.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
We've got a tournament on the Sunday after the finals (The Battle of Stoney Hill). But we're hoping to get enough preparations done to sneak up there that Saturday and watch the finals. Though in all likelihood my brother and 4-year-old disc-golf-fanatic nephew will be in the gallery at Winthrop, and I'll be tearing around Stoney Hill that afternoon trying to finish everything.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 29
Do rounds start this weekend?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 80
USDGC Swag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhadella View Post
I'm hoping to spectate a few days down there. Do they also give out Rocs as the "Commemorative USDGC golf disc to the first 1000 spectators"?
You do get a Commemorative disc with your event ticket. They are handed out as follows: When you pull up to the front gate they will ask you if you want a standard ticket or a VIP ticket. With the purchase of a standard ticket (which was $5.00 in 2010) you get to pick out a DX disc with the 2012 USDGC stamp on it. There's usually a couple different colors. Supplies are limited so selction depends on when you show up at the gate. I usually go to the day of the final round & get there early in the morning. There are plenty of discs available even this late in the week.
This was the disc they gave me in 2008 (DX Sidewinder) *Note: I got all the signatures on it after the tourney was over. The disc does not come this way:

If you buy a VIP ticket ($25.00 in 2010) they give you a voucher ticket for a more premium disc that you can pick up from the pro shop.
2008 VIP disc:

Here's the one from 2009:

2010 VIP disc:

If you want the VIP disc with the signature of the winning pro player you have to wait until the tourney is over & go wait in line to have them sign it. Or you can pick up a voucher at the pro shop & they will have it signed & then mail it to you (no shipping charge). I usually take this route as I dont want to waste my time standing in line when I can go play the course!
***I usually buy both the standard admission and the VIP tickets. The cost/worth of the disc(s) outweighs the admission charge in most cases. Having the VIP ticket gets a few other perks like a USDGC program, plastic ticket/card on a lanyard, special up-front parking by hole #5, VIP food tent access, etc., etc!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:22 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdmanCR View Post
Do rounds start this weekend?
I would imagine you would start seeing players having practice rounds Friday and Saturday.

Course is closed Sunday for US Am Doubles Final Round

Monday is practice rounds and Monday qualifying only.
Tuesday is pratice rounds only.

Tournament is Wed - Saturday

Anyone can play on next Sunday.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Good Info!!!! Thanks for the directions and I am planning on buying a VIP ticket. Around what time does the action conclude on the final day assuming there isnt any sudden death.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
Good Info!!!! Thanks for the directions and I am planning on buying a VIP ticket. Around what time does the action conclude on the final day assuming there isnt any sudden death.
I would guess rounds will be roughly 4 hours. And the last group will tee, IDK, around 2.

As soon as it's over, the distance finals happen and then awards.

The event almost always ends at dusk.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
They use tee-times, with the lead group teeing off last, so I guess the answer will be known when they know how many players there are.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: LHBH
You can usually get onto the course after play has concluded each day. I did that in 2011 several days and was not told to stop. They assume it's just players working kinks out after the round. Just don't do anything to draw attention to yourself.
i played the course with a couple DGCR members while they were doing distance competitions and such.