Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
It all comes down to your preferred style of play. If you like to play conservatively in tourneys, you should do so during practice so you're used to it. If you have more fun playing aggressively then practice hitting tight lines and increasing your repertoire of shots. With enough practice at the tough shots you'll be able to pull them off more than most folks and will be able to play an aggressive short game, but it's likely that other parts of your game will have to be less developed.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Last night I was playing a practice round with a friend who showed me a new practice round technique. We're both the kind of players who minimize molds and keep three of everything in the bag, so when we walked up to a hole, we took out all three of whatever mold we felt was best for the hole and throw it three times. It's an interesting way to get some repetition down and develop some muscle memory, but still gives you a chance to try something a little bit different on each throw. Now, I also go out and play tournament-style practice rounds just to get in that mental mindset before a tournament, but I think my friend's style is something I'm going to do a lot more often.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks, Dad

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 80
The only difference between Tourney and Practice/Leagues, is I always go for putts in Practice/Leagues where in Tourney I may lay up to make it easy... sometimes this is a bad choice in a tourney as I really throw short.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgamerp View Post
The only difference between Tourney and Practice/Leagues, is I always go for putts in Practice/Leagues where in Tourney I may lay up to make it easy... sometimes this is a bad choice in a tourney as I really throw short.
A perfect reason to practice your lay-ups.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
So many good thoughts here.

I categorize my play into three groups: field work; casual or practice rounds (similar but not the same); and serious rounds.

In field work, I pick a single skill - and work on it. Lately this has been: footwork; rotating on heel; throwing with hyzer; throwing from stand-still - you get the idea.

In practice or casual rounds, I try to the incorporate the single skill I have been working on into my field work. Casual rounds have re-throws to work on skill in field, practice rounds do not.

I also throw practice rounds with limited disc selection (e.g. putter-only, putt/mid only, driver/putter only, etc.) or intentionally trying to throw different lines or discs on the same holes. For example, there is one hole at my local course that is through a tunnel of trees, but the line of trees on each side in only a few feet wide. Big sweep hyzer to the right or a flick with an understable/flippy disc to the left could negotiate around the tunnel to the pin area. Extra bonus for a big skip. I might practice those lines instead of going through the tunnel, or visa versa.

In serious rounds, I trim my bag down to what I would throw in a tourney that day and play like I would in a tourney. I try to be minimal in my disc and mold selection, and I take out everything but my core bag, leaving my with a clean bag of discs I know and am comfortable with (i.e. the 150 class TB's and Eagle would stay out).

The one thing I don't permit myself to do is re-throws for putts. The motion is so similar, you're using only a single disc for each put 99 percent of the time, that I'm not trying to practice lines in the field. Thus, I don't need to let myself try it right in a practice/casual round, I just take the stroke for the missed putt. To counter this, I take a few minutes (<10-15) before and and after each round focused only on putting. I usually take 10 putts from 10', 15', 20', and out to about 30' to help the muscle memory for putting. I don't keep score, and its a lot like Mark Ellis's putting confidence.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgamerp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
A perfect reason to practice your lay-ups.

This sounds just like me, and I know I need to practice my lay ups A LOT more then trying to run it from distance. Where I know if I miss, I might miss my comeback as well.