Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
Agreed. I don't think it matters the disc, as long as your aim is true and your height is right. But I would surmise that mids and putters have much less of a chance of bouncing out, due to their rounded edges. I've never had an ace that wasn't a driver...when I try to run a mid I always mess it up.
I'm the opposite, all 10 of my aces were with mids and putters.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 PM

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 78
For me, all of mine have come from pulling out the faster things and whipping them downrange forehand. Ever since I converted to mainly BH and working on the slower speed discs, I have only had one run and it spit out. But as others have stated, learning to throw these slower discs has resulted in better scores, so pick your poison.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdabbs View Post
Now there is some real data. Do you throw a lot of mids? Were these fairly long holes? I can't imagine throwing the nukes, surge, etc on anything under 300.
I have started throwing mids this year. I have always thrown drivers for everything. I always try to land close. I don't try to throw my shots thru the basket. I've won easily 50 ace pots in my nearly 20years of golfing. Don't hate on the skips.

I guess I could have addded more info

Z Nuke - landed 20ft short and skipped in - Forehand - uphill - blind - 270ft
Z Nuke - landed 10ft short and skipped in - slightly downhill - backhand - 310ft
Esp Nuke - landed 30ft short and big jump in - slightly downhill - around an obstacle - 280ft - forehand
Esp Zone - air shot in - downhill - 240ft - forehand
ESP Zone - 5ft short, skipped in off of a root- uphill - 230ft - forehand
Z Surge - Airshot - forehand - 260ft
Ti Stalker - 15ft short and skipped in - downhill - backhand - blind shot - with spotter
150 Flick - Spike hyzer over some trees into basket - 240ft - backhand - blind basket position.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 35
oh man maybe the Mayans had it right and the world is going to end. Chris Hysell throwing mids is just another sign.

and yes skip shots are damn useful.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltik View Post
Mr. Hysell is the antithesis of discing down.
But if you look at his years playing you'll see that he had to disc down when he learned to play. There weren't any other options.

I'd think that you'd have the best ace chance when you disc up slightly for a hole. If you throw mids 300', but choose a fairway driver on a hyzer for a 300' hole you'll have a better chance of hitting chains. That's why there are so many skip aces.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
But if you look at his years playing you'll see that he had to disc down when he learned to play. There weren't any other options.

I'd think that you'd have the best ace chance when you disc up slightly for a hole. If you throw mids 300', but choose a fairway driver on a hyzer for a 300' hole you'll have a better chance of hitting chains. That's why there are so many skip aces.
sort of but I was always looking for more distance because I have been a shorter thrower. As discs evolved so did I. I learned the new stuff and never thought to disc down.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdabbs View Post
Over the last few years I have been using way more midrange discs and less drivers. What I have noticed is that I overshoot holes less often with mids and usually end up just short of the hole or about pin high right or left. Landing in those places has zero opportunity for an ace. In my experience discing down results in lower scores generally speaking as my shots are more accurate to a certain distance but less opportunity to hit an ace. For instance, if I am throwing a buzzz on a hole that is 270 I would have to throw it hard enough to go 300 in order to be chain high while passing the chains. I am just not going to put that much power on the disc on a hole that is 270. So I lose some chances for an ace. Now, on shorter holes say 200-250 it seems like I am hitting more aces with mids than before.

Anyone else see it that way too?
Totally, also, discing down = less flairs. You can play a flair with a driver to get the same result as a mid... the disc flairs up into the air and lands closer than a disc skipping past the basket... anyways, WAY less Aces for me the better I get. I play for birdies...most of my early aces were mistakes, point throw and pray. Now I am actually trying to hit a line and guide the disc. That yields less aces, especially on downhills or flat holes.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 35
I wouldn't call playing in the early 90's discing down. I would just call it discing. It's like he said he evolved with the discs. the whole discing down idea was put out there to get players to evolve too even though the faster stuff is available (sort of build themselves up).

The reason I said he was the antithesis was because of earlier posts/threads where he vehemently decried the practice of discing down.