Old 10-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Asking for a new course in a state forest

Hey guys

I am currently living in Lexington, KY.... but I am interested in trying to get a new course in my home area (scioto county, Ohio). Shawnee State Forest is huge.... has great elevation change everywhere... has many streams and ponds. I would like to get a course in this area for several reasons.

1. The closest dg course is like an hour drive.
2. Shawnee State University is nearby... the college crowd would really benefit from having something to do outside.
3. This terrain could provide for championship caliber dg.

My problem being.... I am 2 hours away from my home area for grad school. How would you guys go about proposing this idea? I know that there are several state forest dg courses in Ohio (including Mt. Airy). So, this shouldn't be too much of a political barrier because there is already precedence. I would still be able to drive up to help with the course on weekends. Also, I know of at least one really good course designer in the area (Sias)... maybe I could get him on board. Also, should I get a petition or something to show support of dg in the area?

Also, since there are no beginner courses in the area. I have also thought about contacting some of the smaller communities in the area to see who would consider having a 9 hole course.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 569
I would contact Ken Rollins (currently volunteering at USDGC) who's a friend of Sias and has helped get courses in Ohio State Parks. He runs the Mood Disc Golf site and you can contact him there: http://www.moodgolf.org/
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

That looks like a good starting point. I will contact him later.

Any ideas on how to gauge interest in this idea? Maybe find a way to get the word to students at the local college.... or maybe the local paper?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 569
It may not matter. I woudn't be surprised if the State has a plan for developing courses since they have several. That park may or may not be in their master plan for DG course development. That will determine what effort and strategy you need.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 80
My wife's family is from Greenup Co., KY just across the river so I keep an eye on things down in that area as far as DG is concerned. Looks like a course just popped up in Wheelersburg in the Dean State Forest.

I'd look into who/how that one got installed.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

What? I had no idea. Thanks for the info IC. That would definitely help in presenting to forests.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 182
Throwing Style: RHFH
Ken Rollins is a good contact for sure. As well as Marc Queen who built the first ever state park disc golf course in Ohio back in 2000 at Forked Run State Park, and has helped get other state park courses installed. He also installed Pike Lake State Park near you, as well as Great Seal State Park. Both of those people can get you started in the right direction.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

IC,

Just realized where this course is. Technically, it is on a church camp site. This is like the mega church camp in the area. It has like 2 or 3 soccer fields, 3 indoor basketball courts, a rock wall (if I remember correctly).... and now a small hole dg course. I am interested in who got the idea started for them. So, I will contact them as well. Maybe they can help spearhead the push for another course.