Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
StarFirebird's Bag Update Thread.

I'm going to be using this thread for updates to my bag,so I don't forget what I took out.I have trouble remembering stuff.

You guys can comment if you want to as I do enjoy discussing different discs.

Distance - Discraft Nuke SS - 410ft avg. - 440ft best
Midrange - Discraft Buzzz - 310ft avg. - 325ft best
Putter - MVP Ion - 270ft avg. - 300ft best

My Bag

Drivers

170 Discraft Elite Z Nuke SS - Stable to Slightly Understable
172 Discraft ESP Nuke - Stable to Slightly Overstable,Forehands
170 Discraft Elite Z Predator - Overstable,Utility,Forehands
170 Innova Champion Viking - Stable to Slightly Overstable,Forehands,Tomahawks
170 Innova Champion Viking - Stable,Rollers
166 Innova Champion 4x,5x JK Valkyrie - Understable,Rollers
172 Innova Champion 4x,5x JK Valkyrie - Slightly Understable
170 Innova KC Pro Cheetah - Slightly Understable to Understable,Rollers
167 Innova Star Teebird - Stable,Rollers,Tomahawks
167 Innova Champion 12x KC Teebird - Slightly Overstable,Forehands

Midranges

170 Discraft Elite Z Comet - Slightly Understable
170 Discraft Elite X Comet - Understable,Rollers
170 Discraft Elite Z Buzzz - Slightly Overstable
170 Discraft Elite X Buzzz - Stable
175 Discraft Elite Z Wasp - Overstable,Forehands,Rollers,Tomahawks,Utility

Putters

2 170 MVP Proton Ions - Practice Putters,Stable to Slightly Overstable
170 Discraft ESP FLX Challenger - Practice Putting,Main Putting Putter
175 Discraft ESP Zone - Overstable,Utility,Forehands,Rollers,Tomahawks
170 Discraft APX - Slightly Understable to Understable,Rollers
170 Innova 10x KC Pro Aviar - Only used for Jump Putts.

This first bag is something I've been messing with since my arm healed up.

I've always enjoyed throwing Valkyries,but needed something just a tad bit more stable,so I threw in both of my Vikings.One is still fairy new,but old and the other is beat up and old.They both are working very well for the bag.

I was thinking of getting some new disc to try out for my max distance,but decided why not work with the Nuke SS and the Nuke?I've had both discs for at least 6 months now and decided to learn them like I've got my Valkyries learned.So far I like them both,Time will tell if the stay in the bag.

I went from throwing Cyclones to throwing Teebirds once again.I like the Cyclones, it's just the Teebirds are more consistent for me at the moment and I feel I can do more with them.

The KC Pro Cheetah was a no brainer.Since I took out my beat up Cyclone I put my KC Pro Cheetah back in for that spot in the bag.Works just as well,but is a tad bit more stable and is easy to control like my Valkyries.

My mids stayed the same.I don't think I'll ever change these babies.

I threw my MVP Proton Ions back in because I as getting some great control off the tee with these things.When Practice Putting they fly and feel very similar to my ESP FLX Challenger so they went in for that too.I also threw in my Old beat to death 10x KC Pro Aviar for jump putts.

Well so far this is one of the updates for my bag.I'm sure many more will come in the future,but at the moment I'm liking what I have.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarFirebird View Post
I went from throwing Cyclones to throwing Teebirds once again.I like the Cyclones, it's just the Teebirds are more consistent for me at the moment and I feel I can do more with them.

My mids stayed the same.I don't think I'll ever change these babies.
I don't have much in the way of feedback for you, but I would love to hear you elaborate on these two statements if you could. I'm a newbie myself, and I'm trying to learn me as much about the wide world of discs as I can muster.

Cyclones are my first drivers, and I've been enjoying them for the most part. As my D Cyclone has broken it, it's become very workable, and I've appreciated its apparent versatility (although it still wants to fight back to the left at the moment; I'm curious to see if that beats out at some point). What about Teebirds allows you to do more with them than the Cyclones? I'm aware of their reputation as being ultra straight, so if anything, I'd have assumed that Cyclones could be used for a wider variety of shots.

As for your mids, I've begun using Comets myself, and I love them. I plan on sticking with them for the time being, but I've noticed how a lot of people like to pair Comets with a more overstable complement. What specifically do the Buzzzes give you (particularly the one in X plastic) that a Z Comet doesn't?

Hope you don't mind me looking for more insight in your bag thread!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikly View Post

If you want insight, look at my bag thread. I reconstructed my bag from the help CrazyRunnerGuy and BrotherDave game me
Old 10-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't have much in the way of feedback for you, but I would love to hear you elaborate on these two statements if you could. I'm a newbie myself, and I'm trying to learn me as much about the wide world of discs as I can muster.

Cyclones are my first drivers, and I've been enjoying them for the most part. As my D Cyclone has broken it, it's become very workable, and I've appreciated its apparent versatility (although it still wants to fight back to the left at the moment; I'm curious to see if that beats out at some point). What about Teebirds allows you to do more with them than the Cyclones? I'm aware of their reputation as being ultra straight, so if anything, I'd have assumed that Cyclones could be used for a wider variety of shots.

As for your mids, I've begun using Comets myself, and I love them. I plan on sticking with them for the time being, but I've noticed how a lot of people like to pair Comets with a more overstable complement. What specifically do the Buzzzes give you (particularly the one in X plastic) that a Z Comet doesn't?

Hey it's not a problem man.I'll be glad to give you some insight.

For me Cyclones fly more similar to a Innova Eagle.The ESP and Elite X Cyclones have that nice S turn and can work some great lines.As the ESP ages it becomes a really straight disc with some fade at the end and more workable S shots,sorta like your Pro D Cyclone brand new.The Elite X Cyclones will beat up into a nice turnover driver.The Pro D once beat has a straight shot with more turnover and it can also be used as a roller.If you throw a Cyclone high and hard,but on a good line it can bomb farther than a distance driver sometimes.Only one bad thing though,when a Pro D or a Elite X gets beat in too much they can become uncontrollable if not thrown right.Don't get me wrong they are good discs,but I've went back to the Teebirds just because of this.

Teebirds for me are more controllable. I have a Star and and a Champion.The Star is weathered just a bit and I can put it on some killer lines with very little effort.You can throw it hard and it will not turn,it just goes dead nuts straight.You can also work it into some nice S shots if thrown right.My Champion is pretty overstable,but not too overstable.Whenever I need to go left,but around 340ft I use this disc.It's just a very user friendly disc once worn in a bit.

Well the Z Comet or X comet for that matter doesn't really liked to be torqued on too much.They rely on nice smooth throws.I use the Comets for those shots that my putter can't quite reach on a drive.

With the Elite X Buzz I can torque it and whatever line I put it on it stays on and flies pretty dang far.I feel a Comet,Buzz, and Wasp is one of the best midrange combos to have in your bag.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 17
Why don't you have a Star Firebird in the bag?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 73
Many thanks for the insight, SF.

I have an X Cyclone on its way in order to have an overstable complement to my D. I'm hoping that by the time the D is too beat to use, the X will have weathered in enough to take its place. Then, I'll probably snag one in ESP, to compliment the X. I'm definitely curious to see them get to the point where they turnover, as my D is not quite there yet. Glad to know that that'll happen one day, as I wasn't sure: my D has taken some serious shots, and it's still not turning over.

Right now, I'm probably throwing around 275', so the Teebirds sound a bit too fast for me. Good food for thought for the future, though.

I'll have to try out a Buzzz, too, to see how it complements the Comet. Sounds like the differences in sensitivity between the two give you a lot of options.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared_Discless View Post
Why don't you have a Star Firebird in the bag?
I use to throw one and or years I threw a KC Pro Firebird.

For now the Discraft Predator has took that spot as I'm trying to learn the disc a little more.

The Star Firebird is still in my switch out box.

Quote:
Many thanks for the insight, SF.

I have an X Cyclone on its way in order to have an overstable complement to my D. I'm hoping that by the time the D is too beat to use, the X will have weathered in enough to take its place. Then, I'll probably snag one in ESP, to compliment the X. I'm definitely curious to see them get to the point where they turnover, as my D is not quite there yet. Glad to know that that'll happen one day, as I wasn't sure: my D has taken some serious shots, and it's still not turning over.

Right now, I'm probably throwing around 275', so the Teebirds sound a bit too fast for me. Good food for thought for the future, though.

I'll have to try out a Buzzz, too, to see how it complements the Comet. Sounds like the differences in sensitivity between the two give you a lot of options.
Your welcome.

You will enjoy the Elite X and the ESP. The ESP will be more stable and the Elite X will be a tad less stable.Once both discs are used a little is when you see the differences in the two.

Definitely get yourself a Buzzz. You can really put the power down on those things and can be put on a b-line with little to no fade.If you change your grip a bit you can throw some very good controlled hyzers with them too.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Banned

Man right after I posted this bag I strained my MCL in my knee. Been out ever since and haven't had a chance to learn the bag more.

It's driving me batty not being able to play.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 37
ouch rest up... at least we are going into the winter months, though im sure it does not take the itch away. find your viking and valk overlap?

Old 10-14-2012, 12:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE master View Post
ouch rest up... at least we are going into the winter months, though im sure it does not take the itch away. find your viking and valk overlap?
Thanks man. It's starting to heal on it's own,but there is still a lot of pain when I get up for work every morning. It takes a bit for it to loosen up.

You see, I am a runner and I do believe I'm going to have to call it quits after this injury.I'm 30 years old and can't afford this type of injury.The impact on your joints can take it's toll on the joints and I think mine are telling me to quit while I'm ahead. I guess I'll have to start riding my exercise bicycle for 8 miles then.

Back to Disc Golf. The Valkyrie and Viking have no overlap at all.For me my Vikings work like a longer Star Teebird.The newer(old) Viking has that good stability and will not turnover and has some good fade at the end.The beat up(old) Viking still has good stability,no turnover and harldy fades at all.You can point and shoot with that beat up Champion Viking.Both good in the woods.

The Valkyries are more for turnover.The 173 has more stability and I can crank it for some good shots up to 415ft(more for open shots).It still has that slight turn if not hyzerflipped. The 166 is my main turnover driver and roller.I've had this in the bag for a long time and it's always been good to me.

They are both great discs and the Viking is one I don't hear people using anymore.In my opinion a Viking is the best thing to go with a Valkyrie when you just need that tad bit more stability.