Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
20', 10'.. that may be a bit much, but a designated area behind the disc could offer the opportunity to shoot before your lie with follow-through is what I'm talking about.

It just seems that since the sport has become more and more competitive, people are pushing the rules harder too. Therefore rules must become stricter and more defined....

HENCE THIS DISCUSSION where people are allowed to have varying opinions allowing other options to be considered in rulings.
How is the existing rule not strict and well defined? The only issue I see is that people don't call out others when they break the very black and white rule.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongoff09 View Post
How is the existing rule not strict and well defined?
If that is the case, why would there be a discussion like this?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Yeah, now stop calling me for foot faults you bastard!

Jack started it!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
If that is the case, why would there be a discussion like this?
The rule is strict and well-defined. Some people have various objections to jump-putts, one of which is that although the rule is strict and well-defined, the jump-putt happens so quickly that it's hard to tell if the rule was broken, or not. Another is that people are reluctant to call rules tightly, regardless of how strict and well-defined they are written.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The rule is strict and well-defined. Some people have various objections to jump-putts, one of which is that although the rule is strict and well-defined, the jump-putt happens so quickly that it's hard to tell if the rule was broken, or not. Another is that people are reluctant to call rules tightly, regardless of how strict and well-defined they are written.
Good post, another thing to note is that rules calls are not being made consistently since it is a self officiated game for the most part.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
20', 10'.. that may be a bit much, but a designated area behind the disc could offer the opportunity to shoot before your lie with follow-through is what I'm talking about.

It just seems that since the sport has become more and more competitive, people are pushing the rules harder too. Therefore rules must become stricter and more defined....

HENCE THIS DISCUSSION where people are allowed to have varying opinions allowing other options to be considered in rulings.
I'm all for this discussion, of the rules and hypothetical alternative rules.

I'm just "proofing" your suggestion by testing it against hypothetical issues it would encounter. When I float the idea of doing away with falling putts and the 10-meter circle altogether, I expect others will point out potential drawbacks to my idea. And they always do. Nothing personal. The test of an idea is putting it through the ringer and seeing how it comes out. The tendency is for a suggestion that solves one problem, but inadvertantly creates others.

So a designated area behind the lie from which you could throw, and have room to follow-through (staying behind the lie), begs the question of how big the designated area would be, how easy it would be to judge whether a player hit it, and how much players might try to abuse it.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
So a designated area behind the lie from which you could throw, and have room to follow-through (staying behind the lie), begs the question of how big the designated area would be, how easy it would be to judge whether a player hit it, and how much players might try to abuse it.
Line of play may be a possibility in area designated.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I'm sure someone will...

Placing a mini to mark your lie, sets the point where your plant foot cannot go past and no other supporting point can be closer to the pin along the line of play until after the disc has left your hand.

Personally, I don't think anyone here is really attempting to change the rules. But it is fun and interesting to discuss the options.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I'm sure someone will...

Placing a mini to mark your lie, sets the point where your plant foot cannot go past and no other supporting point can be closer to the pin along the line of play until after the disc has left your hand.

Personally, I don't think anyone here is really attempting to change the rules. But it is fun and interesting to discuss the options.
Correct on all counts.

With the clarification that not only can your plant foot not go past it, but it must still be planted---touching ground---when you release. And that you're describing the stance outside the 10-meter circle.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Line of play may be a possibility in area designated.
My post involved this question: Say the designated area is on the line of play, up to 5' behind the mini, so that your follow-through can't go past the mini.

Currently it's fairly easy to tell if a foot is on the line of play right behind the mini. But if someone doing a run-up releases "about five feet" behind the mini, it will be much harder to discern if he was actually on the line of play or 1' off to the side; or whether he was really 5' or 6' behind the mini.