Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFer View Post
With time being an issue, maybe skip playing 9 and go hit the field a couple of times. You can get substantially more throws in, which can be a big help in figuring stuff out.
Interesting thought... Wonder if the wife would approve "fetch" with the kids?!? HAHAHA!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM
* Innova: Choice of Champions *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBelly View Post
Interesting thought... Wonder if the wife would approve "fetch" with the kids?!? HAHAHA!
I do that all the time. I'll take the kids (5 and 8) to the park, they play on the playground until I empty my bag with throws, and then they go help me pick up all the discs. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Gets the kids to the park, earns brownie points from the wife and gets me some practice in all at the same time. Everybody wins!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Also bringing up the point that as my comforts (therefore strengths?) are LHBH and RHFH, I'm not working on a solid way to drop the disc in naturally to the left like a normal RHBH... Since I'm far more comfortable in my RHFH, and my LHFH looks (and feels) more like a broken chicken wing, would it stand to reason that I'd be better rewarded to practice RHBH from the tee, looking to gain power and accuracy as my experience grows and use the LHBH for my closer mids and putts? Has anyone ever even heard of such a weird style? Unfortunately, it kinda makes sense in my head...
You could also do well by practicing a turnover/anhyzer shot with that comet of yours. Given enough oomph, it will go left.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 62
I definitely think improving accuracy is most important. When the accuracy is getting better, you can slowly work on improving distance. Distance without accuracy doesn't mean much, but accuracy without much distance can still get a decent score.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
First and foremost as I understand your post, you are missing the key element, fun. It doesn't seem like you are having enough fun in your desire for perfection.

To borrow a line form SGT Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis."

No offense, but time takes time. What should you work on? You'll get a ton of advice. And without a lot of real valuable information on how you are really doing. If you truly want to improve, then you are gonna have to spend more time doing it. Get up a little earlier and throw practice putts. Get a practice basket and throw some at lunch. Find a park with an open area and a playground. Take the family and throw some too. Find a family friendly course and take them along even if its just a walk in the park and a picnic. Quality time spent with the family could actually allow them to give you some more "me" time. And for God sake if you do go with the family, don't go with the expectation of shredding the course, think about all of you having a fun time.

Find time, we are usually not as busy as we think we are.

And if you truly MUST improve NOW, start from the basket out. Remember, drive for show, putt for dough. Practice your putting until you are consistently knocking it stiff from 30+ feet. Once you're happy with that, work on the approach. An awesome approach means an easy putt. Now that you've got that mid game where it needs to be, then go big.

And lastly, while you are waiting for those magical 400+ foot drives, always, always think course management. Perhaps a well placed 200 foot drive gives you an easy 100+ foot approach for the safe 3 and a few birds too. Instead of a drive a long way, but the wrong way.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Courses Played: 2
I hear ya. My problem when I hit the course is my view of lacking available time. I get in the mindset that I'd rather rip through 2, 9-hole rounds while I got the chance over practice putting. Don't get me wrong, I see the need to stand there, slow things down, and sink the putts. I KNOW most of my high scores or coming from missed putts, even if the wild drive aren't helping.

Damn, this means it's time to go find the threads on alternative targets that don't burn my wallet or break my back to make... You people and your good, solid advice suck!

On that note, anyone else see this "1025" putting game? http://www.discgolfbasketstore.com/1025-discgolfgame/
Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM
* Innova: Choice of Champions *

Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Damn, this means it's time to go find the threads on alternative targets that don't burn my wallet or break my back to make...
Here's one that will cost you nothing and take 2 minutes to assemble - bar stool with a box on top of it with the box opening facing you. Not optimal, but enough for getting started on grooving your putting form.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFer View Post
With time being an issue, maybe skip playing 9 and go hit the field a couple of times. You can get substantially more throws in, which can be a big help in figuring stuff out.

^good advice here.

Get a stack of DX teebirds and a stack of your choice putter and go the field. Don't take your hole bag, just bring 1 or two different molds and work on them.

start with the putters... throw the stack, walk and retrieve, then thrown them back. do it a few cycles then switch to the teebirds.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
I get in the mindset that I'd rather rip through 2, 9-hole rounds while I got the chance over practice putting.
Exactly my point. Don't rip thru 9. Take your time with 9. Slow down your pace. Relax & execute. Look for 3 lines for every shot. Pick your target whether driving, approaching or putting. Look for your best line to achieve success and then throw. Then if you run out of time with just 9 spend the remaining time practice putting or whatever you think needs the most work.

Next time out remember your successes and perhaps try something new with your failures.

You need to play with me. I'm old and crippled and I don't rush with anything. And no matter how much I suck, I have fun.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
^good advice here.

Get a stack of DX teebirds and a stack of your choice putter and go the field. Don't take your hole bag, just bring 1 or two different molds and work on them.

start with the putters... throw the stack, walk and retrieve, then thrown them back. do it a few cycles then switch to the teebirds.

What is a hole bag, and where can I get one?