Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Seriously though, great advice.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:46 PM

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
Get a stack of DX teebirds and a stack of your choice putter and go the field. Don't take your hole bag, just bring 1 or two different molds and work on them.

start with the putters... throw the stack, walk and retrieve, then thrown them back. do it a few cycles then switch to the teebirds.
Yeah, a stack of one breed isn't quite in the budget right now. Can bairly justify the need (read cost) for a putt, mid, driver combo to my wife. Unless I can find a sick deal (gotta talk in terms of a "sale", you know how it is) like a back of the truck guy, I'm going for one at a time to keep it under the radar.

Also, I decided to stick with Discraft for the time being to keep things simple. I was getting too tied up in ratings and numbers. Discraft is simple. On that note, the discs I've amassed on a recent truck deal were:

Avenger SS FLX
Surge FLX
Buzzz ESP
Comet Z
Soft Magnet Pro-D
Banger GT Pro-D

Right now my line-up has been the Avenger SS, Buzzz, and Banger. I got the variety to feel them out cause it was relatively cheap. Dig the Buzzz and Banger, but I feel I try to put too much power into my drives to have any sort of accuracy with the Avenger. But man, when I have gotten it right a couple times, that puppy flew! (For my ability, anyway...)
Old 10-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 31
Get used to that Banger and Buzz! I am a devout Banger devotee and will highly recommend it. One thing I've noticed is that when I use my banger to putt (usually I use it for approach only and putt with magnets) I have the most success with an aggressive, whip-like spin putt (spin putting is putting like throwing normally FYI). How do you putt? Are you aggressive or do you tend to lay up?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreadwell View Post
Get used to that Banger and Buzz! I am a devout Banger devotee and will highly recommend it. One thing I've noticed is that when I use my banger to putt (usually I use it for approach only and putt with magnets) I have the most success with an aggressive, whip-like spin putt (spin putting is putting like throwing normally FYI). How do you putt? Are you aggressive or do you tend to lay up?
I go for it each time. I will usually end up missing to the side and having to come back for it or being weak on the delivery and dropping in front. Since I don't practice putting much, I couldn't really tell you what style I use as i have just been doing whatever I can to get it in.

Next up: checking out putting styles on youtube to practice.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBelly View Post
I go for it each time. I will usually end up missing to the side and having to come back for it or being weak on the delivery and dropping in front. Since I don't practice putting much, I couldn't really tell you what style I use as i have just been doing whatever I can to get it in.

Next up: checking out putting styles on youtube to practice.
You may have heard this bit of wisdom already, but try focusing and aiming for a single chain link somewhere near the center of the basket. That way, if you miss your target you're still likely hitting chains. It may be mostly psychological but it truly helps.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 51
Quote:
You may have heard this bit of wisdom already, but try focusing and aiming for a single chain link somewhere near the center of the basket. That way, if you miss your target you're still likely hitting chains. It may be mostly psychological but it truly helps.
This helps a lot. Everytime I don't focus on a single link I miss. Almost everytime I do, I make it.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 79
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=27231

Read it, apply it.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: LHBH
job,wife,kids, all that too.

I hit the course alone between 6:00 - 7:00 AM on the weekends, home before anyone knows i was gone.
No waiting, no rush & I can throw 2 lines all the way. This way I get double the shots & usually with different discs. I have learned a lot on disc selection and applied it to group games.

When I see improvement it tends to be in small leaps...
...One leap forward followed by 2 steps back.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 196
Simplify your game and bag as much as possible. If you are too busy to master 15 discs or whatever you are carrying, narrow it down s small as you can, and practice with those discs until you are happy. Then add 1 disc at a time to fill a major need. That will all change as you progress.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
What's the saying from Mel Gibson's "The Patriot," "Aim small, miss small"?
I had not thought of this or heard it before and will have to try it.