Old 10-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Driving from OH to FL and back

Hey all!
I will be driving from Columbus, OH to Tampa the weekend of Oct. 20th and driving back the following weekend. The plan is to take 77 down and come back up on 75. That puts us through a few DG meccas along the way including Charlotte and Atlanta. We will be passing through Cinci on the way home, but I could make a day trip there another time. I'm looking for suggestions of must play courses along the way (keeping in mind that I will have my wife and our puppy with us ... so realistically I will probably only stop to play one course each on the drives down and back).
I'm thinking of playing one of the top suggested courses in Charlotte (from a recent thread) and possibly an Atlanta or TN or KY course on the way home. Of course I hope to get a round in with Thrembo while in FL, but would be open to suggestions and possible meet ups for other courses along the way.
Thanks in advance for all your help. I'll try to keep updated here as the trip gets closer and we figure out the details of where we will be on what dates along the way.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
How much detour are you willing to make?

Will your wife be playing? Walking with you? Waiting for you?

If the weather's good, consider a detour in the NC mountains to Sugaree or Ashe County. Two great experiences, it will be peak fall color at that time.

Another alternative are two courses near Savannah, Tom Triplett & The Sarge, which are both pretty good and both virtually on the interstate exit ramps. (Assuming your I-77 route is to Columbia, then I-26 and I-95 to Florida.

Otherwise, Charlotte on the I-77 route. Choosing only 1 course of the dozen or so there, what kind of course do you want? Whether easy or tough, tight or open, the Charlottans will have something to offer.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Eagle Member

I think the wifie would prefer to stay within 20 minutes or so of the highway, but depending on the course it could be negotiable. I would like to try short/fun/beginner friendly courses that she would be willing to walk along with me (she don't play, but doesn't mind a nice walk in a pretty park with the puppy as I sling plastic). She will not walk a long endurance challenge type course and as much as I'd like to try one, I just wouldn't feel right leaving her waiting while I selfishly spend our vacation time playing.
We will be doing the 77 to Columbia/26 to 95 route so Savannah, Jacksonville, and Orlando are also along the way. I looked at the stoney hill site today and would really like to hit that one at some point, but most likely not on this trip.
I guess the ultimate courses along the way for me would be fairly short, not too difficult, and scenic enough that I could get away with telling the Mrs. that we are going to walk in this awesome park....and oh yeah, by the way... there are baskets there too...... guess I may as well throw a round.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Gotcha. Earlewood in Columbia might be something to look at, one of the most fun short courses you'll visit. Not sure what's the best choice in Charlotte, but Plantation Ruins at Winget would be good.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.2
Courses Played: 39
[QUOTE=DyeingToPlay;1633555] We will be passing through Cinci on the way home, but I could make a day trip there another time. QUOTE]

Let me know when you come to Cinci...
Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Eagle Member

^will do thanks, Bassman
Looks like we are going to be in Charlotte Saturday (Oct. 20th). Depending what time we arrive I may be able to get a round in on a short course. Sunday morning is also an option if anyone would like to meet up. I am looking for a course (or 2) that is fairly short and not extremely difficult that my wife and puppy would enjoy walking with me/us. Also would like to try to stay within a half hour or so of 77 if possible. Suggestions??
Old 10-19-2012, 03:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 108
Sounds like Elon (Eager Beaver) might be just what you're looking for. Its on the south side of Charlotte no more than 30 minutes from 77, much less if there's no traffic.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
If you wanna throw Handyman in Fairborn on your way back up it'd only be a couple minutes out of the way for ya. It's not a short course, but it's not horribly long, and I'd be happy to throw one with ya.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 161
best course in florida (ignore last review):

Old 10-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Eagle Member

Thanks, bikinjack......looks like eager beaver it is! Sunday morning beaver if anyone cares to join me lol.
bbutch.... not likely stopping in on the way back when we are almost home, but I will make it down to your area sometime and look forward to throwing a round with you. Hope that Marley Ion is still treating you well.