Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 10-05-2012, 04:06 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Throwing Style: LHBH
- (Started playing at the end of April this year)
Started with a Innova DX starter set. Sucked BAD, but had fun. First time out was +33 at local course.

- (End of May)
Read about starting off with putters and mids, made sense to me. Bought 3 DX Avair P&A's and 2 DX Rocs. Got fairly good, by my standards. Went from getting +20 or worse at the local 18-basket course down to low to mid-teens over par. +10 seemed like Mount Kilimanjaro.

- (Beginning of June)
Ordered Champ Leopard and Champ Teebird, since they were generally recommended fairway drivers to move on to after mids. Was accidentally sent a Champ Starfire instead of the Teebird, was told I could keep it at a discount in addition to getting the Teebird I ordered. Leopard flew just okay, but I figured out how to put anny on the Starfire for a flex shot. Fell in love with it...bad things ensue. I finally bought a real DG bag (Fade Gear Crunch). Added distance from the flex shot got me down in the low teens consistently.

- (Middle of May through beginning of August)
Started buying (and finding) discs for no good reason, most of which was overstable drivers in Champ or Star plastic (found Champ Ape, bought Star Wraith, found Champ Groove, etc). Continued to fall in love with the flex shot to the point that I could no longer throw my Leopard and/or Teebird to save my life. Then I couldn't throw my Rocs or Aviars. My average made no real change, but I was either scoring great (sub +10) or horrible (+19!!)

- (End of August)
Took a step back and figured instead of trying to fix my form issues, I'd just buy overstable discs. Bought a Z Wasp (in case my Buzzz was a worm-burner), Champ Banshee (because I needed a fairway driver again that wouldn't burn into the ground), Champ Rhyno (see above bad ideas). Since I was going this route, a few days later I ordered a Z Buzzz to replace my DX Rocs...because, well, I was addicted to buying plastic. I think a lot of folks here can identify with that. Still terribly inconsistent, but could hit Mt. +10 fairly regularly.

(VERY End of August)
- I'd ordered everything online aside from the Rhyno, so I decided while I was waiting (I'll take long, free shipping any day), I'd try to work on fixing my form a bit. I sort of did. I learned to love the Rhyno for the RIGHT reasons (awesome in the wind and is now my driving putter). I spent a week or two just throwing the Rhyno. My score didn't suffer much. Huh.

(Beginning of September)
- By the time the Buzzz, Wasp and Banshee arrive, I've decided to ditch anything faster than 7 speed for now, concentrate on just the Rhyno, Buzzz, Teebird. It pays off. I can drive all of them better than ever. I'm starting to hit 300' with decent accuracy. I also scored below +10 consistently.

(Middle of September)
- While inexplicably in a store looking at more discs I have no damn reason to consider at this point, I pick up a Banger-GT and it feels like putting on perfect-fitting gloves. I'd just accidentally found my new putting putter. No score change...putting still sucks, but still love the Banger.

(NOW!!)
- That's generally where I stand now. I've learned to slowly introduce other discs I currently own by trying them on various shots on the course. A perfect example is I didn't use the Banshee at ALL for the first few weeks...then I tried it for shorter tomahawks/thumbers...then I tried it where it's hard overstable fade would be useful, etc. I still feel the lust to buy plastic, but I'm mostly holding strong. I'm also to a point where anything over +6 and I'm absolutely pissed.

Below is my bag right now. What I do throw, I now know how to throw and what I can expect. I don't always execute the shot correctly, but I'm past the point of just aiming and firing. Now I'm considering each shot, envisioning it, and choosing from my relatively small number of disc with which I have confidence.

The Bag of Sucking Not as Much as Before:

- Pro D Banger-GT (putting putter)
- Champ Rhyno (driving putter, general utility disc for anything inside 150-200')
- Z Buzzz (Main mid, although I still often forget my form and turn it over)
- Z Wasp (Virtually unused right now, not nearly as overstable as I'd hoped)
- Champ Leopard (Found life again as my turnover driver)
- Champ Teebird (Main driver, can do just about anything I need it to do)
- Champ Banshee (Toms/Thumbers, hard fades around corners)
- GL River (whim purchase because it's so damn pretty. not used on course yet)
- Star TL (bought used, pretty sure is my straightest disc, but isn't used on course yet)
- Champ Valkyrie (just got a few weeks ago as a perk for joining a local club, quickly becoming my distance driver when the Teebird isn't enough)
- Champ Starfire (Toms/Thumbers for further distance than the Banshee, really should try it over the Banshee when I need more distance around corners)
- Star Wraith (bought used, not used at all...no idea why I even have it in my bag right now)
- Blizzard Boss (found disc, can get some silly distance with flex shots, but I'm terribly inconsistent with it. Found out I can get the Champ Valk out to about the same distance right now, so it's best this stays out of the rotation)
- Blizzard Katana (Just bought this week because I'm dumb. I threw a friends Champ Katana a couple times, it flew well, so I figured based on my distance success with the Blizz Boss, this would be money. Worm-burning the hell out of this thing right now. I have confidence I'll figure it out eventually, but I have no business throwing this disc right now)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos View Post
- (Started playing at the end of April this year)
Started with a Innova DX starter set. Sucked BAD, but had fun. First time out was +33 at local course.

- (End of May)
Read about starting off with putters and mids, made sense to me. Bought 3 DX Avair P&A's and 2 DX Rocs. Got fairly good, by my standards. Went from getting +20 or worse at the local 18-basket course down to low to mid-teens over par. +10 seemed like Mount Kilimanjaro.

- (Beginning of June)
Ordered Champ Leopard and Champ Teebird, since they were generally recommended fairway drivers to move on to after mids. Was accidentally sent a Champ Starfire instead of the Teebird, was told I could keep it at a discount in addition to getting the Teebird I ordered. Leopard flew just okay, but I figured out how to put anny on the Starfire for a flex shot. Fell in love with it...bad things ensue. I finally bought a real DG bag (Fade Gear Crunch). Added distance from the flex shot got me down in the low teens consistently.

- (Middle of May through beginning of August)
Started buying (and finding) discs for no good reason, most of which was overstable drivers in Champ or Star plastic (found Champ Ape, bought Star Wraith, found Champ Groove, etc). Continued to fall in love with the flex shot to the point that I could no longer throw my Leopard and/or Teebird to save my life. Then I couldn't throw my Rocs or Aviars. My average made no real change, but I was either scoring great (sub +10) or horrible (+19!!)

- (End of August)
Took a step back and figured instead of trying to fix my form issues, I'd just buy overstable discs. Bought a Z Wasp (in case my Buzzz was a worm-burner), Champ Banshee (because I needed a fairway driver again that wouldn't burn into the ground), Champ Rhyno (see above bad ideas). Since I was going this route, a few days later I ordered a Z Buzzz to replace my DX Rocs...because, well, I was addicted to buying plastic. I think a lot of folks here can identify with that. Still terribly inconsistent, but could hit Mt. +10 fairly regularly.

(VERY End of August)
- I'd ordered everything online aside from the Rhyno, so I decided while I was waiting (I'll take long, free shipping any day), I'd try to work on fixing my form a bit. I sort of did. I learned to love the Rhyno for the RIGHT reasons (awesome in the wind and is now my driving putter). I spent a week or two just throwing the Rhyno. My score didn't suffer much. Huh.

(Beginning of September)
- By the time the Buzzz, Wasp and Banshee arrive, I've decided to ditch anything faster than 7 speed for now, concentrate on just the Rhyno, Buzzz, Teebird. It pays off. I can drive all of them better than ever. I'm starting to hit 300' with decent accuracy. I also scored below +10 consistently.

(Middle of September)
- While inexplicably in a store looking at more discs I have no damn reason to consider at this point, I pick up a Banger-GT and it feels like putting on perfect-fitting gloves. I'd just accidentally found my new putting putter. No score change...putting still sucks, but still love the Banger.

(NOW!!)
- That's generally where I stand now. I've learned to slowly introduce other discs I currently own by trying them on various shots on the course. A perfect example is I didn't use the Banshee at ALL for the first few weeks...then I tried it for shorter tomahawks/thumbers...then I tried it where it's hard overstable fade would be useful, etc. I still feel the lust to buy plastic, but I'm mostly holding strong. I'm also to a point where anything over +6 and I'm absolutely pissed.

Below is my bag right now. What I do throw, I now know how to throw and what I can expect. I don't always execute the shot correctly, but I'm past the point of just aiming and firing. Now I'm considering each shot, envisioning it, and choosing from my relatively small number of disc with which I have confidence.

The Bag of Sucking Not as Much as Before:

- Pro D Banger-GT (putting putter)
- Champ Rhyno (driving putter, general utility disc for anything inside 150-200')
- Z Buzzz (Main mid, although I still often forget my form and turn it over)
- Z Wasp (Virtually unused right now, not nearly as overstable as I'd hoped)
- Champ Leopard (Found life again as my turnover driver)
- Champ Teebird (Main driver, can do just about anything I need it to do)
- Champ Banshee (Toms/Thumbers, hard fades around corners)
- GL River (whim purchase because it's so damn pretty. not used on course yet)
- Star TL (bought used, pretty sure is my straightest disc, but isn't used on course yet)
- Champ Valkyrie (just got a few weeks ago as a perk for joining a local club, quickly becoming my distance driver when the Teebird isn't enough)
- Champ Starfire (Toms/Thumbers for further distance than the Banshee, really should try it over the Banshee when I need more distance around corners)
- Star Wraith (bought used, not used at all...no idea why I even have it in my bag right now)
- Blizzard Boss (found disc, can get some silly distance with flex shots, but I'm terribly inconsistent with it. Found out I can get the Champ Valk out to about the same distance right now, so it's best this stays out of the rotation)
- Blizzard Katana (Just bought this week because I'm dumb. I threw a friends Champ Katana a couple times, it flew well, so I figured based on my distance success with the Blizz Boss, this would be money. Worm-burning the hell out of this thing right now. I have confidence I'll figure it out eventually, but I have no business throwing this disc right now)
What is your local course?

I played my first round in early July, but didn't really start playing until the beginning of august. Kind of haphazardly bought discs myself. I also started at about +30 or so and after a couple weeks moved down to +20. Right now my best round at my local course is still +16, but it is a relatively difficult course:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1162

I have made a lot of breakthroughs during the last week in field practice in regards to throwing my discs so I hope this has a positive effect on my scoring.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Ive been playing since I was a kid, but with big lids throwing at trees with my dad and his friends. When I got into high scholar and started working part-time, I found some actual golf discs at the local sporting goods store. Luckily for me the owner was pretty knowledgeable so I got an Archangel, Eagle and Gazelle. I used those for years...and a big lid for putting. Then I got some generic putter with no stamp at a garage sale. I passed them on to my brother when I left for the Marines and then went and bout one of everything that Innova made at the time.

From there I figured out what I liked and what I didn't. But Id say I'm much worse now about acquiring g discs..now that I have some disposable income I'm always trying to get the latest and greatest. Currently I'm stockpiling Vibram and Nukes
Old 10-05-2012, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 15
i bought too many rocs and too many wizards is what i did!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
The best advice I got when starting out was to keep the bag small. I played my first year with only 6 discs. It doesn't really matter what they are. All you want to do during your first year is learn to keep the disc down and at your target. Don't worry too much about what different discs do. Just learn the 6 discs in your bag and make them fly consistently.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.6
I started with a DX Valk, then went to a Champ Valk, DX Banshee, DX Glow Aviar. Then went to the Wraith, Beast, Orc, Roc, Aviar combo. Then the TeeRex, Boss, Destroyer, Max, Buzzz, Aviar combo. Now Im firmly stuck on the Nuke, Destroyer, Firebird, XCal, Buzzz, Drone, Whippet, Monarch, RoadRunner, Glow Aviar Combo!!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHFH
When I first started playing, many moons ago, I bought a disc and used it until it was broken. Then I bought, or hopefully found, another one. I was playing for fun and exercise, I didn't really care about my score or disc selection. It took me a few years of casual play to really pay attention to disc selection and fine tune my game.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 44
My first disc was a Lightning #1 flyer. The store only sold lightning, then i got a #2 upshot for a putter. Then i started putting too much torque on it, so i traded it for a firebird or teebird, I believe. Then i found an XL that i couldn't throw, and traded it to a buddy for a 2nd run CE Valkyrie (these were still new at the time) and that was the best disc i ever owned. I just lost that in the only round i played last year. But now i dig my current bag, but still miss my Valk.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.6
^^^And somewhere in the middle I aquired around 200 discs, and now Im probably closer to 300 with collecting thanks to this site! LOL

Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 73
When I first started playing, I exclusively used Lightning Discs. I'm still not really sure why.