Old 10-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
My knee does worse sitting, standing, or walking than throwing a disc. It's been bad for several years. I started having real problems when I was playing video games rather than going to class. Keeping my knee in 1 place stiffened the tendons and stuff and made it very easy to sprain/strain.

My point is that it's possibly being on your feet all the time that's the problem, and you should try stretching your knee at work as often as possible.

You should consult a doctor about this, but some ibuprofen, and alternating ice and heat might help.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 48
Man, I'm 18, 6'3" 180lbs and MY knees hurt! (This could possibly be from growing again)
Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHAFNER View Post
Man, I'm 18, 6'3" 180lbs and MY knees hurt! (This could possibly be from growing again)
Start stretching now. Maintaining your body is easier, cheaper, more effective, and longer lasting, than fixing your body. It's not fun or easy; neither is surgery.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 13
Go to yoga classes. Not only is there a nice view of the yoga girls in yoga pants, but your balance, concentration, and flexibility will improve slowly but surely.

Edit: are you pivoting on your heel? I felt like when I make an effort to do that my knee appreciates the load off
Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePiRaTE View Post
Hi, sure: 39 (big 4-0 in Dec...) 5,9", 170lbs. Best described as average. On my feet a lot in the day, out a lot on the weekends, but not athletic. When climbing stairs I use my left leg to push off with to take the load off my right knee as it grinds. Throwing isn't as bad for it as climbing stairs, but I know by the end of a long day of rounds that I've played on it.

I wonder in a carpel tunnel sort of way if the repetitive motion over the years could be a contributing factor. I injured my back about 8 years ago which led me to change to squat and lift heavy items using my knees rather than my back, but I haven't done any one thing to the knee to cause alarm. DG and stairs are the only two common and repetitive motions I regularly perform using it in a strenuous fashion.

Thanks for thoughts. BTW, I had neck pain at one point which was solved by realizing I held my phone too low, too long. Often there are solutions to these problems!

K.
I'd got to a doctor and see what they say. I had knee problems a couple years ago and about a month of physical therapy and a year and a half of continuing the exercises and stretches has made both my knees stronger than they've been in a long time. Maybe it's just me, but that route sounded a lot better than surgery down the road.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
My point is that it's possibly being on your feet all the time that's the problem, and you should try stretching your knee at work as often as possible.

You should consult a doctor about this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADman View Post
Go to yoga classes. Not only is there a nice view of the yoga girls in yoga pants, but your balance, concentration, and flexibility will improve slowly but surely.

Edit: are you pivoting on your heel? I felt like when I make an effort to do that my knee appreciates the load off
Re: throwing from heel - no. I will try it, but I'm concerned about balance and follow through as I imagine this. How have you found it affecting this? Something I worked on to get arm speed up was weight transfer over my center of gravity so my follow through absorbed a lot of the torque on my arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
I'd got to a doctor and see what they say. I had knee problems a couple years ago and about a month of physical therapy and a year and a half of continuing the exercises and stretches has made both my knees stronger than they've been in a long time. Maybe it's just me, but that route sounded a lot better than surgery down the road.
Survey says:

Get it checked out; stretch more and often.

I will start with stretching more and often. Every morning. If I feel the same in the coming months, I'll consult a doctor in time to prepare for next spring.

It also seems as though I'm not alone in considering this correlation. I guess at this point, the jury is still out on how much it has actually to do with DG creating the pain or just exacerbating age related maladies.

Thanks all for contributions. I'll still be curious to hear of others experiences in these regards.

Kelly.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 117
I had a minor knee tweak one time, and it really hurt when I threw RHBH. The pain was associated with the pivot motion. It helped to throw mostly FH. But I also learned I could throw RHBH stand-and-deliver style, if I set up with my right toe already pointed in the direction of the throw. That way when my body twisted during the throw, the hips and knee came back into alignment with the toe. It didn't put as much stress on whatever ligament was hurting. I don't think it helped my score at all, but at least it allowed me to keep playing and exercising while taking it easy on that sore ligament.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 1
Just a thought, but have you considered that the shoes you are wearing, both at work and on the course, need to be replaced?

I also work on my feet all day. I purchased an expensive and custom fit pair of work boots when my feet and knees starting feeling weary. Haven't felt any pain in those areas in years.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
All good points in this thread. There are many possibilities of the cause of knee pain. Individual biomechanics can be a significant factor, shoes/wear, form, previous injuries, health, weight, other things outside disc golf. I suspect most players that experience knee pain from disc golf have serious form flaws that could either reduce or eliminate that pain.

I have terrible knees from all kinds of previous sports related injuries(ACLs, MCLs, menisci) and terribly flat feet(bad biomechanics design). Not to mention my ankle injuries. I have knee pain daily, but usually not while playing(putting practice is the worst for me). Custom orthodics and shoes with a solid foot bed can do wonders. Improving form/posture also helps a ton.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 189
stools and benches make my knees hurt. It's easier on me to just stand