Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Technique & Strategy

View Poll Results: In a match play style tournament, would you play more aggressive or more safely?
Aggressive 41 49.40%
Safe 42 50.60%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreadwell View Post
Go search function (use the google search - it actually works)! Anywho, I'm playing in a match tourney and have found that strategy depends largely on the score. On the first hole, if you go first go aggressive to try and put pressure on the opponent right away. If you're second, go aggressive if your opponent shoots well/decent, or play it safe if he/she flubs it bad. Once you get a lead, play it safe and just try to tie as much as possible and take the wins as they come. If you get behind, play smart. On holes you're confident on, go for it hard to catch up. On ones you're not so good at, play a little more conservatively so as to not dig yourself a deeper hole. Obviously if your opponent flubs, jump all over that sh!t. I used this strategy in my first match and won by hole 15. Hopefully it'll stand up to the next 4 (hopefully) matches as well!
I tip my hat to you sir I probably would not have remembered this thread if you had started a new thread.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 79
In match play teepad order actually matters, and the advantage of throwing last is huge.

When i throw first, i never try to get fancy, but of course try to throw a good shot and not a dissasster lie like OB or a bad tree hit. Sometimes it's better to play conservatively by laying up and forcing your competition to match or better the throw.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
My vote made it 50/50 for aggressive versus safe. I've only played in one match play style tournament and it was just a bunch of locals playing for bragging rights and beer money. Played aggressive the entire time and got second.

I play aggressive in most of my tournaments unless I have a comfortable lead or I have no other option then to just lay it up and move on. I like playing aggressive and I have paid the price many times over for it. I've felt the rewards of playing aggressive many times over too. Really I guess it's to each their own.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
I'm playing in a match play tourney in a couple weeks for the east metro. One of my buddies that I always play with is playing for the west. We went out and did a friendly match play round today and took him 10-5, I just hope that translates exactly the same in two weeks.

Match play is a different game, though. Takes a lot of strategy, which I'm fairly confident that I can hand making the right calls and whatnot. Best part is that it's not an overall score, so you don't really have to worry about doing horrible on a hole, because it won't set you far behind, if it does at all.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPuppySlayer View Post
Match play is a different game, though. Takes a lot of strategy, which I'm fairly confident that I can hand making the right calls and whatnot. Best part is that it's not an overall score, so you don't really have to worry about doing horrible on a hole, because it won't set you far behind, if it does at all.
That's one of the best parts IMHO! Say your opponent played it safe and got par, while you struggled and have a 75ft putt for par. In stroke it would make sense to play conservatively and save a huge overshot, but in Match you can go for it with reckless abandon! It doesn't matter if you lose by 1 stroke or 10 so you can really go for the gusto.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Quote:
That's one of the best parts IMHO! Say your opponent played it safe and got par, while you struggled and have a 75ft putt for par. In stroke it would make sense to play conservatively and save a huge overshot, but in Match you can go for it with reckless abandon! It doesn't matter if you lose by 1 stroke or 10 so you can really go for the gusto.
That actually happened on a hole. Had a 70 footer for par save, while he was under the basket. Ran a flick at it and nailed it.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 28
I have a match play tourney in 2 weeks. I will play how my friend describes how to play all tournaments - "Shoot for par and the deuces will come." I let the other guy make the mistakes and shoot safe, settle for push on the tough holes and play aggresive but smart on the holes I am confident on.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
The converse can also be true. Your second shot is 25' from the basket; your struggling opponent puts his fourth shot under the basket. You might just lay up to the pole to avoid risking a rollaway. Especially if there's any kind of slope to the ground, or wind.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 161
The answer is both. It's a bit of a poker match, reading your opponent and knowing when to fold and when to go "all in".

Having said that, I've seen many players get too wrapped up in the strategic elements and forget that the game is about throwing discs. I like to play my normal game 90% of the time, essentially ignoring my opponent, but being able to recognize the 10% times when I would deviate from "normal".