Old 10-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
Can't believe how much stuff goes missing on our course.

We just got baskets in, and are putting tee markers/signs in next week. I can't believe how much stuff walks away on us!

We have bricks with arrows guiding people from a basket to the next tee. 3 of them have been dug out of the ground already, and we just put them in last week- so we spent the afternoon cementing the rest in place.

Since tee markers/signs aren't in yet, we have pink surveyor flags denoting tee boxes. I have to replace two or three everytime I play. Today, a thirty year old guy was walking down a path with one. I asked quite politely "do you know what that is." He says "I think they are using it for the disc golf course." I ask "then why did you take it?" He just says "I dunno."

Our course sign isn't in yet. So we have a laminated piece of paper at the beginning of the course with a timeline for when everything can be done, our club contact info, ace race info, and a link to a downloadable map. I replace this every week.

On our blind holes, we have white stakes that are visible from the tee and directly in line with the baskets. 4 of those have gone missing- we'll have to cement those in next spring.

We put surveyor flags up so the city would know where to mow. A line of about 50 of them got stolen, so the mowers really messed up.

And I could go on and on. None of this stuff is expensive- under $30 for all of it probably- but it sure is a pain in the ass. I just don't understand why people take or move it. And I am just really hoping that our permanent (ie: expensive) stuff doesn't go away. You put hundreds of hours and hundreds of your own dollars into something, and this is the reward you get. But today, while cementing the bricks, about a dozen people in 3 different groups were playing the course for their first time, looked like they were having fun, and thanked us. So I guess it is worth it. But man, am I ever wanting to publicly flog some people.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.2
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkious View Post
We just got baskets in, and are putting tee markers/signs in next week. I can't believe how much stuff walks away on us!

We have bricks with arrows guiding people from a basket to the next tee. 3 of them have been dug out of the ground already, and we just put them in last week- so we spent the afternoon cementing the rest in place.

Since tee markers/signs aren't in yet, we have pink surveyor flags denoting tee boxes. I have to replace two or three everytime I play. Today, a thirty year old guy was walking down a path with one. I asked quite politely "do you know what that is." He says "I think they are using it for the disc golf course." I ask "then why did you take it?" He just says "I dunno."

Our course sign isn't in yet. So we have a laminated piece of paper at the beginning of the course with a timeline for when everything can be done, our club contact info, ace race info, and a link to a downloadable map. I replace this every week.

On our blind holes, we have white stakes that are visible from the tee and directly in line with the baskets. 4 of those have gone missing- we'll have to cement those in next spring.

We put surveyor flags up so the city would know where to mow. A line of about 50 of them got stolen, so the mowers really messed up.

And I could go on and on. None of this stuff is expensive- under $30 for all of it probably- but it sure is a pain in the ass. I just don't understand why people take or move it. And I am just really hoping that our permanent (ie: expensive) stuff doesn't go away. You put hundreds of hours and hundreds of your own dollars into something, and this is the reward you get. But today, while cementing the bricks, about a dozen people in 3 different groups were playing the course for their first time, looked like they were having fun, and thanked us. So I guess it is worth it. But man, am I ever wanting to publicly flog some people.

Sorry for the rant.
Flog on!!!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 1
You wouldn't happen to be in MI, would you?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 106
but nobody is watching so you must take useless stuff
Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 16
That's lame man. Why can't people just leave stuff alone?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 119
One thing you may want to do is pull the baskets till everthing is in. This gives players less of a reason to be out there playing and more of a reason to help out. It will also make your course look more official.

Just food for thought.

A course in Iowa was being built, and they had a lot of volunteer help untill the baskets got put in. Only a few helped pour the teepads.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 21
I hate hearing stuff like this, and most likely it's the same idiot or group of idiots.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conler Milrad View Post
One thing you may want to do is pull the baskets till everthing is in. This gives players less of a reason to be out there playing and more of a reason to help out. It will also make your course look more official.

Just food for thought.

A course in Iowa was being built, and they had a lot of volunteer help untill the baskets got put in. Only a few helped pour the teepads.
I don't think it is people using the course moving these things. If anything, just by having people there, it might be helping. And I am glad we put the baskets in- we have a few weeks of unexpected good weather, and I am glad they are getting used before winter. Plus, I think the visibility has gotten us about 10 signups for our grand opening tournament next weekend.

However, I am definitely doing this for the next course I built. I had lots of help before the baskets went in. Now I am getting a lot less- guys are spending just as much time on disc golf, but are playing instead of working.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:18 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 207
At Hot Shots people stole all of the carpet tee pads and left all of the rubber tee pads.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 47
People are ignorant. Keep up your good work!