Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 68
Ok maybe I should stick with my current ones then. Thanks! If I wanted a buzzz I could always add one. I really liked the one I had. Basically it could handle a lot of power, was very forgiving, straight, fast, a lot of glide, felt great in my hand, and could hit lower lines than my rocs. I think I could add one in without too much overlap, but I don't think I'll do that any time soon. I have too much to learn and I feel like rocs and comets are gonna better teach me how to improve my form.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Eagle Member

Funny, now they announce the new rancho Champ rocs. We'll have to see how those turn out.

Well, I am very excited to try Comets out in the bag. Can't wait for the one I traded for and I definately plan on picking up an X Comet. I'm currently throwing 171 and 172 DX Rocs would that be a pretty good weight or could I get away with a slightly heavier X Comet? I was thinking 172-173 if I can find it. It seems like X Comets are short lately, and I like my discs white if possible so that adds an extra challenge.

Still thinking about a baseline putter. I like the Ions, I am awful comfortable with them after throwing them for so long, but I think they need to be relavated to at least a complimentary role. Basically, they could be a good driving putter. I mean, really they can handle all putting duties, but I just think I would eventually get more benefit from having a baseline disc in this role. But if I go with a Wizard or a KC Pro Aviar for example, those discs could really handle everything a Ion would be in the bag for. I mean they would (I'm assuming) be a touch slower, have a touch less glide, but still be able to handle wind and driving duties in addition to regular putting. And if they do end up being a tad shorter than my Ions, I wouldn't mind too much just throwing a Comet or Roc anyway. It would keep the molds down as well. So, I guess... Anyone have suggestions on a baseline putters? Are there any differences between Wizards and BB Aviars?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Eagle Member

So I posted my putter dilemna in another thread and got alot of sound advice:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=73596

And I decided (hopefully committing) to stick with the Ions. They have been in my bag longer than any disc. I know them like the back of my hand. They are in a great stage of wear. It all adds up to me keeping them around. They are great multipurpose putters anyways. They can putt, approach, and drive.

Just curious, I know alot of people say that a couple grams weight doesn't make a difference. And I've also seen alot of people say you can get away with a slightly heavier X Comet what you're used to. My comfort zone with Rocs and putters is about 172 right now. Do you think I could get away with a 174 X Comet, or would that start to limit my distance?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Eagle Member

Really like the idea of the new champion Rocs. It would give me another disc in my bag in a different plastic while still sticking with the same molds. Basically like sticking a Buzzz in the bag, as discussed above, just seems better as another Roc. So now my mid/putter setup will look like this:

Mids
173 12x KC Pro Roc- seasoned
172 DX Roc- freshy, working in
171 DX Roc- seasoned, straight
172ish Champ Roc- when it comes out
172 Z Comet- just picked this up
174 (?) X Comet- or is this too heavy? i am ordering this one asap

Putters
172 S Ion- Non textured 3rd Run Stormtroopers
172 S Ion- identical, both used for all putts, approaches, and drives

I'll pick up a few Pro Leopards once I get this all set up. But, Right now covering 6 midrange discs with two molds looks pretty good. I think there is room for a heavier DX Roc too once the 172 gets worked in some.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
Just curious, I know alot of people say that a couple grams weight doesn't make a difference. And I've also seen alot of people say you can get away with a slightly heavier X Comet what you're used to. My comfort zone with Rocs and putters is about 172 right now. Do you think I could get away with a 174 X Comet, or would that start to limit my distance?
I'm not sure I fully understand you but I'll say no? You don't really throw Comets for distance (although Michael Johansen can throw them a mile, freak) but I'd say a Comet a little heavier than your Rocs won't cause you to skip a beat at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
Really like the idea of the new champion Rocs. It would give me another disc in my bag in a different plastic while still sticking with the same molds. Basically like sticking a Buzzz in the bag, as discussed above, just seems better as another Roc.
Yeah, it's nice that Innova finally decided to produce a Champ Roc. Probably will be a + mold but whatever, that's Innova for you. I'm assuming it will be Rancho mold? I use the Opto Pain as my Champ Roc and I couldn't be happier, so if the new ch. Rocs don't blow you away you could go that route.

But yeah, your bag is shaping into a wily old vet's now with all the Rocs and Leos. You noticing much improvement since you went real simplified?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Eagle Member

Yeah definately, although my leg injury hampered me. Between my bag shaping up and playing with some better players my game is really shaping up. I have really learned how to throw Anys, s-curves, and shaping lines. I am learning how to do alot more with the discs I have. It also helped that a lot of my discs are getting well worn in.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Eagle Member

Ok, more of the same. Finally broke down and ordered an X Comet. One of the last white ones I could find with the old comet stamp on it. Pro Leopards (a 166 and 168 sound about right?) soon to follow when I can afford them. For now it is officially:

Midrange
173 12x KC Pro Roc- seasoned
172 DX Roc- working this one in
171 DX Roc- seasoned, straight
172 Z Comet- straight
174 X Comet- anhyzers, straight

Putters
2 S P Ions- seasoned, 3rd run non-textured bottoms "Stormtroopers," use for all putts, approaches, and drives

Some overlap, sure, but each discs role will become more defined as I work with the new ones.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHBH
How does the leopard do on longer hyzer shots? I'm not familiar with the leopard, but my understanding of it is that it's primarily a straight/understable disc, so I'd be curious to hear if you feel that there's a hole there to be filled at a later point, or whether the leos are covering you.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Eagle Member

Yeah, I'm not the best person to ask. The only Leopard I have right now is a 175 and I can't throw it very well. I'm guessing eventually I will need a stable disc to compliment it.

Right now I'm still basically just rocking mids and putters.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Eagle Member

Threw a couple rounds lately and my leg is still painful, but not hampering my shot much anymore, at least on the early holes. It has been very windy here lately, which is good practice for me. I debuted both the KC Pro Roc and the Z Comet in my bag to great success, I'm going to love them both. The KC Pro did particularly well (considering the wind), and it surprised me how little difference there was between it and my freshy DX Roc.