Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju View Post
Wow, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Shark = garbage

Buzzz= game changer
She does know what she is talking about and she is right. Buzzz=Shark as a Wasp=Roc.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Innova Buzz = MD2
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 56
Quote:

Shark = garbage

Buzzz= game changer
Ever thrown a champ or star shark? Other than the feel, if you think theyre that much different, youre lying to yourself
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 AM
* Ace Member *

The Buzzz was the first midrange I learned to throw properly...I was interested in trying other things, so I asked Dave D. on PDGA.com what Innova discs would compare to the Buzzz (this was a long time ago). He told me that a Champ Shark was essentially a beadless Roc like a Buzzz. So I picked up a Champ Shark. It was slower, considerably more overstable, shorter/took more effort, dropped straighter and more forward on the fade, needed more height, and flew on curvy lines instead of straight ones. I liked it because it was so DIFFERENT than my Buzzz that it complimented it quite well. It wouldn't do what my Buzzz would in any situation.

Long story short from someone with aces on both discs...They are way different. Like any two discs someone with great skill could mimic the same lines with both discs, but they wouldn't be throwing them anywhere near the same to get those results.

Also, the Buzzz is one of Discraft's hottest sellers and one of the most popular mids of all time and the Shark is the Roc's redheaded stepchild that will probably end up OOP in all but dx soon (and most those dx discs will be packaged in 3 packs and sent to Wal-mart). If they were the same I highly doubt this would be the case.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 49
Flight charts from Inbounds for the Buzzz, Roc, Shark, and King Cobra

What is on the flight chart certainly is not how the Buzzz behaves for me, which is a cross between a Roc and a Shark, though more like a Shark. I have not thrown a Roc lately, but I remember it as behaving similar to the chart. I have been using a DX Shark, and trying a King Cobra (Champ) lately, and they do behave for me much like the charts. It is really interesting that those two are so similar. I had bought the King Cobra with the information that it was a Champ Cobra, probably CFR, and was not happy to find it so different, as the Cobra is one of my favorites.

Looking at all this, including comments here, I am thinking to:
  • Stop looking for a star or champ Shark and consider the King Cobra my heavier wgt durable Shark
  • Keep trying the Buzzz, but being more careful to keep it low and level
  • Leave the Roc in the loaner bag and just dig it out for windy days (because it is a 170 something wgt and I normally use 150 to 165 wgt discs)
  • Continue working with my new Comet and drop the Buzzz if the Buzzz continues to be more difficult than the Comet.

I hope this is enough on topic...if not I will move it.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 24
Quote:

Shark = garbage

Buzzz= game changer

Shes right 100% tho...
Old 10-08-2012, 07:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 40
Juju's right.
Jen's wrong.
Paul has the right idea of working with his comet but should keep the roc to compliment it and shelf the buzzz.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Another Innova mold 'similar' to the Buzz = King Cobra. Maybe a smidge less HSS.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: LHBH
I don't throw either anymore but I have owned a couple of each. I had heard that the Buzzz was Discraft's version of the Shark, that they pretty much copied the Shark mold for the Buzzz... I may be wrong though.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Fiend View Post
I don't throw either anymore but I have owned a couple of each. I had heard that the Buzzz was Discraft's version of the Shark, that they pretty much copied the Shark mold for the Buzzz... I may be wrong though.
The Shark has got the funkiest wing in disc golf other than the Monarch/Groove. No one has yet or probably ever will copy that. The Buzzz on the other hand has perhaps the most common wing shape in disc golf--curved concave bevel(like the Roc/Cobra and many mids to come out since). The Shark has a tapering curved nose where the Buzzz is squared off and thicker...Though the Shark does not have a traditional bead, it has a weird extension on the bottom that makes it feel beaded in the hand.

Compared side to side with the entire family of Rocs including the Shark the Buzzz is like a flat topped beadless Rancho with a slightly thicker nose. IMO Discraft was thinking of a flat Ching Rancho Roc when they took the bead off the Wasp, added a nose spacer, and made sure they were flat(Buzzz). Those Rocs were probably the most popular mid in MI at the time the Buzzz came out.

Shark = Buzzz is just one of those weird myths that I'm surprised has stuck around...It's pretty much as absurd as the TL-Leopard bottom myth.

Last edited by discspeed; 10-09-2012 at 02:24 AM.