Disc Golf Center
Old 09-25-2012, 04:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Haven't done one of these in awhile...

What's up! For anyone interested in what one of the more controversial posters on here throws, here goes:

Sex: M
Throwing Style: LHBH, FH on approaches only

Distance stats can be misleading, so I'll just say that on flat ground over 360' I'm throwing a driver of some sort, 300-360' im throwing mids, and out to 300' im throwing putters.

Bag Philosophy: I'm not a mold minimalist, but I could distill a bag down to a core 3-5 discs and play lots of courses at the same level. I play tournaments and multiple courses (not a one-course local) so I believe in having utility discs for trouble spots and in shifting wind situations. I also tend to throw the slowest disc that I think can reach the target.

Distance Drivers (listing Overstable down to Understable):
175g C-PD2
175g S/DS Destroyer
174g Ikon Rampage
172g Glo Nuke
170g Star Archon

Fairways
175g Champ Firebird+
168g Star Firebird
175g C-PD+
168g S-PD

175g Echo Teebird
172g Echo Teebird (beat)
175g Star Valkyrie+

Mids
178g ProLine Squall
178g ProLine Squall (beat)
175g Glo Buzzz
175g CryZtal FLX Buzzz

Putters
174g Pro-D Challenger (barstamp)
174g CryZtal FLX Challenger

174g Glo Z Zone
180g Pro-D Zeppelin

For all you mold minimalist freaks out there I did my 5 "gotta have" molds in blue.

I didn't want to post a mountain of text in strictly defining each of the utility roles for every disc so just fire away if you want to know.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by JTacoma03; 09-25-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 75
Your drivers seem to be heavily slighted to the overstable side with a lot of overlap. The PD2, Destroyer and Rampage all fill essentially the same slot. You can probably drop two and not even notice a difference.

For fairway drivers, there's a lot of overlap between the Firebirds, PDs and Teebirds. I think you have the star firebird covered by the C-PD, so I would drop that, and the S-PD can fill the role of the newer teebird just fine.

If you do ever feel like minimalizing molds, try a P-PD in place of the beat Teebird. It will be a bit more overstable at first, but get a few dings on it and you may find it behaving very similar.

One area that you seem to be lacking is in a true turnover driver. The Valk and Archon are understable, but will hold a line pretty well. Consider trying an Avenger SS, Roadrunner, or TD for those shots that you really need to go "the other way."
Old 09-25-2012, 04:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: RHBH
I'm surprised as a lefty you don't have more flippy plastic in your bag. A lot of courses seem to slightly favor the right handed players and most lefty players I know have several understable mids and drivers for turnover and roller duties. Unless that Echo Teebird is really trashed, do you have any drivers that will throw a turnover line, or is it not something that you throw? I can see a beat Squall doing the job in the mid section, but that's the only disc I see in the whole bag.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
Your drivers seem to be heavily slighted to the overstable side with a lot of overlap. The PD2, Destroyer and Rampage all fill essentially the same slot. You can probably drop two and not even notice a difference.

For fairway drivers, there's a lot of overlap between the Firebirds, PDs and Teebirds. I think you have the star firebird covered by the C-PD, so I would drop that, and the S-PD can fill the role of the newer teebird just fine.

If you do ever feel like minimalizing molds, try a P-PD in place of the beat Teebird. It will be a bit more overstable at first, but get a few dings on it and you may find it behaving very similar.

One area that you seem to be lacking is in a true turnover driver. The Valk and Archon are understable, but will hold a line pretty well. Consider trying an Avenger SS, Roadrunner, or TD for those shots that you really need to go "the other way."
How far do you throw? I don't mean to sound like I'm challenging you just wondering from what perspective you are coming from on discs.

There's a pretty big gap between PD2's and Destroyers...but truthfully the Destroyer gets 95% of the workload of those 2. The PD2 is when wind will flip the Destroyer. After playing today I kinda had it in my mind to drop the Rampage to the practice bag.

As far as turnover drivers go, I think this is where I'm guessing we come from different power levels because valkyries and archons are pretty darn flippy. 80% throw flat release with either will turn and continue left to the ground, never flattening back to straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
I'm surprised as a lefty you don't have more flippy plastic in your bag. A lot of courses seem to slightly favor the right handed players and most lefty players I know have several understable mids and drivers for turnover and roller duties. Unless that Echo Teebird is really trashed, do you have any drivers that will throw a turnover line, or is it not something that you throw? I can see a beat Squall doing the job in the mid section, but that's the only disc I see in the whole bag.
One echo is pretty beat, other than that it's archon or squall for turnovers. I can throw the squall an upwards of 350' (it's a fast mid/tweener honestly) and it's probably now officially my favorite disc in my bag. I can't say enough good things about their overall utility for a large range of shots.

Oh and the valkyrie is pretty much only used for rollers. I prefer that speed over the 11 archon for rolling consistency.

Thanks for the critique/discussion! keep it coming!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Also should say just threw a Dominator today....DAAAAAAMN...I gotta try one in Blizzard now.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Kind of interesting that all your distance drivers are heavier than some of your control drivers.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Team Borderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
How far do you throw? I don't mean to sound like I'm challenging you just wondering from what perspective you are coming from on discs.
Fair question. I throw about 350' forehand and just past 300' backhand.

Quote:
There's a pretty big gap between PD2's and Destroyers...but truthfully the Destroyer gets 95% of the workload of those 2. The PD2 is when wind will flip the Destroyer. After playing today I kinda had it in my mind to drop the Rampage to the practice bag.
I've never thrown a Destroyer, so I'm just going by what I've heard about it. I have thrown both the PD2 and Rampage though and they are very similar.

Quote:
As far as turnover drivers go, I think this is where I'm guessing we come from different power levels because valkyries and archons are pretty darn flippy. 80% throw flat release with either will turn and continue left to the ground, never flattening back to straight.
I've had very little success with the Archon, it's sitting in my pile of discarded discs at home. The Valk, however, I've thrown a lot and I agree that it's flippy, but I wouldn't call it a turnover driver. When I talk about a turnover driver, I'm thinking something that you can rely on to turn a corner hard to the left (for LHBH). The Valk will give you nice left to right movement, but it's not as pronounced as something like a Roadrunner would give you.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM
* Ace Member *

@BroD - never really noticed that. I honestly go a ton by feel when I'm buying discs, and i don't think 2g here or there is really going to change the disc that much, so if I find a 172g disc that's got better grip or a better shape to it than the same disc in 175g I'm going with the lighter one.

Comparing 168 to 175g though there's a difference for sure. I think Brad is right when saying a 175g C-PD+ overlaps some with a 168g Star FB. Lighter FB's stay straight longer IMO.

@Brad - were you throwing a C-PD2 or a P-PD2 when comparing to a Rampage? I can see a P-line being similar but a C-line is way beefier than a Force, Destroyer, or even XCal.

Updated Bag:

Distance Drivers (listing Overstable down to Understable):
175g C-PD2
175g S/DS Destroyer
133g Blizzard Destroyer
172g Glo Nuke
175g Champ Dominator

170g Star Archon

Fairways
175g Champ Firebird+
168g Star Firebird
175g C-PD+
168g S-PD
175g Echo Teebird
172g Echo Teebird (beat)
175g Star Valkyrie+

Mids
178g ProLine Squall
178g ProLine Squall (beat)
175g Glo Buzzz
175g CryZtal FLX Buzzz

Putters
174g CryZtal FLX Challenger
174g Glo Z Zone
180g Pro-D Zeppelin

*Dominator has challenged Nuke for a bag spot. They seem to be a really similar disc so I'm going to throw them both in rounds where I'd normally throw the Nuke and compare
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Team Borderland

Quote:
@Brad - were you throwing a C-PD2 or a P-PD2 when comparing to a Rampage? I can see a P-line being similar but a C-line is way beefier than a Force, Destroyer, or even XCal.
I was throwing a C-Line. I found it to be a little less Overstable than an XCal or Rampage. In fact, I believe it is the XCal wing with discmania's anhyzer top. So it will fly a little less overstable at high speed but will still fade hard at the end.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 AM
* Ace Member *

So this kinda adds to what I was talking about in differences between the discs and why I carry them.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...777921O&n=1139