Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
We make up a ton of strokes in the putting area relative to ball golf. I think grodney is on to it when he suggests removing the outer chains on the targets...something to make putting more of a challenge. That's what's needed to bring our elite players closer to "par", rather than deflating the par numbers.
Kinda like what that DOLF guy was preaching many years ago with his weird baskets that you had to hit from certain angles I guess eh.

What if we came up with a blinder, that you could attach to the basket so it covered say 1/3 of it, so you only hit chains from the other 2/3. You could slide the thing around so it was a different side of the basket - akin to moving the hole on the green to make different lines.

wow, I'm the one derailing... akkk, sorry guys LOL

Last edited by dusty5150; 10-09-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 172
I believe that disc golf is an easier game to score under par than in golf. Also, I disagree with some of the pars at the USDGC, some of those eagles seem more like birdies to me. If you want to make the scores higher, take the top players to some tight woods courses. Even then though like at worlds this year you will still see ridiculous scores put up. The guys at the top are just that good. Their putting is deadly.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
I think the pars on 10 and are 12 are correct. It's basically a ball golf hole where you have risk reward. Of course if these holes were stroke and distance, it would be more of this...but whatever.

I played 10 for a 3 going left every time and went 3545 with rethrows in round 2, 3 and 4 (2 in round 4) all on the tee shot.

I played 12 for 4 each round bombing one down the hill, then throwing a hyzer to the top of the hill and then throwing an aviar to the pin. I went 5544 with missed putts in rounds 1 and 2.

12 is def an easy 4 if you have the mentality to not go for it in two
Old 10-09-2012, 04:51 PM
I think I'm important

On another note, I find it very interesting that hole 5 and 13 score as the harder holes and holes like 1 and 7 score as the easier holes.

In ball golf, par 3's score the hardest and par 5's score the easiest. But with the exception of 12, which scored as the easiest hole of the week, it is the opposite in DG. I'd be interested to understand why.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
Easier putting in DG.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:03 PM
I think I'm important

So you think it's b/c holes like 1 and 7 almost garuntee a putt for birdie and then putting is easier? Is that why?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
I think that's why more par 3s average under 3 than over, and in this case other than 12, the other par 5s play over par 5 due to OB penalties despite putting still being eaiser. I think you would find there are more par 5s in our sport not at Winthrop that average under par 5 similar to ball golf. I'm not sure if a 2.7 par 3 is considered easier, harder or the same as a 4.7 par 5? In theory, the par 3 is easier if using the average as a percentage of par.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty5150 View Post
What if we came up with a blinder, that you could attach to the basket so it covered say 1/3 of it, so you only hit chains from the other 2/3. You could slide the thing around so it was a different side of the basket - akin to moving the hole on the green to make different lines.
Dave242 constructed such things -- except they only covered about a 6-inch wide strip -- which effectively covered more than that. You could just clip them to the tray and chain holder at whatever position you like. He used them in a local weekly a couple-few times as I recall. I don't think they were well-received by players (not shocking).
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
Dave242 constructed such things -- except they only covered about a 6-inch wide strip -- which effectively covered more than that. You could just clip them to the tray and chain holder at whatever position you like. He used them in a local weekly a couple-few times as I recall. I don't think they were well-received by players (not shocking).
I've was thinking about this all night last night, and I think it's intriguing; pretty much exactly what you say Dave242 did is what I envisioned. I mean, it would really make you think about where on the green you want your shot to be (much like bolfers do). Opens up a whole new world for course designers as well. I mean, why do you have to be able to have access to the basket from 360 degrees? and having something that can be be movable to cover different sections/directions would be interesting .. imagine hole 17 at the USDGC had a blinder on the basket ... Saturday position, blocking the right side, would be cool.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty5150 View Post
Does anyone else think there's something wrong when the winner's score is 48 under par; average 12 under per round for 4 rounds.
So I think there are about 3 options:

1) Keep using "reach the hole, plus 2" as a general concept for par, and accept the fact that DG will always be more under par than BG.

2) Deviate from DG and use "reach the hole, plus 1" as a general concept for par, and accept the fact that you can't really birdie a 1-shot hole (currently a par 3, would be a par 2).

3) Change the equipment (and rules?) enough to make a difference. Remove outer chains, smaller basket, directional targets, etc. No jump-putts, no fairway run-ups, no tee-shot run-ups, etc.