Disc Golf Center
Old 10-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
I could see, and was confirmed, guys just laughed when they went ob. It was a joke. Missed the green on hole 10? Not twice! Circle birdie on a par 4. Fn silly.

The buncr made ob about half a penalty. Probably about time to quit calling it ob.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discwrangler View Post
I could see, and was confirmed, guys just laughed when they went ob. It was a joke. Missed the green on hole 10? Not twice! Circle birdie on a par 4. Fn silly.

The buncr made ob about half a penalty. Probably about time to quit calling it ob.
Agreed!

The issue wasn't the fact that someone missed 10's green twice and then made a 4 after getting on in their third try, the issue is that the person that executed the shot the first time and got a 2 only picked up 2 strokes on that person.

That's not risk reward. Of course 1040 guys are gonna go for that shot with these rules.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 585
It's too bad people are using the unusual hole 10 to pick on the buncr rule. That's a par 3 for the top guys. How many actually went to the left on the "official par 4" fairway? Why is that a bad thing for a hole to have scoring spread where you can pick up 2 shots on a player? That's a good hole design.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
I liked the buncr rule on holes like 13 and 17, but not on easier holes or holes with real OB (like the road and lake on 5). It's not needed on those.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 AM

I'm in favor of all types of OB formats on a course based on hole designs and to provide variety. My argument is simply that the buncr version used at USDGC has its place in the mix and can sometimes be more punitive than regular OB (hole 8 tee shot for example). Normal OB does not work as well as the USDGC buncr rule when the OB line runs parallel to fairways because it's more difficult even with spotters to see where a player curves out, including hole 5. My personal design preference on holes with a long parallel OB line is to use the standard OB rule with a required drop zone.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 221
Thumbs down

Stroke and distance and everyone cries bloody murder.

Distance only (re-throw from previous lie with no penalty throw) and everyone whines that it's too easy.

There's no pleasing folks. And of course, it's all "The PDGA's" fault.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 25
personally, i'm a big fan of throw and distance on that course. It sets up well for it and adds a hole heck of a lot more tension and drama.

there are a lot of holes where the buncr rule make for easier decisions.... for example... all the holes! There was no thought process for these guys on whether they go for it or not. Ricky a couple times was rewarded by putts that went OB.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 PM
.:Discraft Pro Michael Johansen:.

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 162
it wasnt a very interesting wsy to play! It felt more like you were playing practice rounds. Bring back penalty strokes
Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 PM

Consider that when a hole is designed, the designer lays out the route(s) to play it successfully. That's even more clear when the safe routes are delineated using rope and other OB to shape them on Winthrop. If you don't execute a route, you throw it until you stay in bounds. That is the essence of the game and why the extreme buncr rule might feel like practice. It's the most structured form of the game to throw until you move thru the course in the ways the designer intended. It's similar to a gutter ball on your first throw in bowling, you get the do over to seek a spare. Or consider the Labyrinth game where the ball falls thru the hole until you execute that route in the maze.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 10-09-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 AM
.:Discraft Pro Michael Johansen:.

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 162
it felt like practice because you just re-throw from the same spot like someone would do when they mess up in a practice round. You know the hold on guys i need one more shot to figure this one out routine