Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 PM

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Baltimore area choices

Going to be in Baltimore area tomorrow. Any advice on your choices of courses? Closest one to the hotel in Rockburn Branch Park. thoughts? Would like to be around that area but heading down from Philly so along the way is fine as well.
Thanks in Advance.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 213
Baltimore choices: get your wallet stolen or your car.

Lake Montebello and Druid Hill are in rough areas. Lake Montebello is probably still in construction so avoid it. If you can get to Patapsco, that is where you want to be. Rockburn is great, but having a partner/spotter helps alot.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
Baltimore choices: get your wallet stolen or your car.

Lake Montebello and Druid Hill are in rough areas. Lake Montebello is probably still in construction so avoid it. If you can get to Patapsco, that is where you want to be. Rockburn is great, but having a partner/spotter helps alot.
wow prerube you're just full of misinformation

druid and montebello are fine! montebello is in rough shape because of the construction, but druid is perfectly safe to play. i lived 5 min. from there the first two years that i played/practically lived there and never had a single issue with getting mugged, or heard of anyone getting mugged. if you live a pile of cash in your front seat with the windows down, yes it might get taken. but that can happen anywhere.

you could easily hit druid on the way down (95 to 695w to 83 south to exit 7) and then you've only got a ~25 min. drive to the rockburn area.

Last edited by GLong; 10-09-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
Wed is random dubs at Rockburn starts at 4:10pm. It is a little difficult to navigate and find discs by yourself there, bring a map or play dubs. Patapsco is my favorite, it's not far from Rockburn, and you will probably have the course to yourself, but bring a map, and there is some tall grass that can make finding discs a little hard in places but not as bad as Rockburn's jungle. Druid is ok, more old school and open, can also play at night.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 66
patapsco is indeed a sweet course and a better play than druid overall, but more out of the way. if you have enough time, hit it up. the nice thing about druid is that there are almost always people playing there.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
Rockburn is very cool if a little unkempt. I like it, and with some extra care it could be excellent. If that is close to your hotel play it. Simple. Print a map and you should be fine.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLong View Post
wow prerube you're just full of misinformation

druid and montebello are fine! montebello is in rough shape because of the construction, but druid is perfectly safe to play. i lived 5 min. from there the first two years that i played/practically lived there and never had a single issue with getting mugged, or heard of anyone getting mugged. if you live a pile of cash in your front seat with the windows down, yes it might get taken. but that can happen anywhere.

you could easily hit druid on the way down (95 to 695w to 83 south to exit 7) and then you've only got a ~25 min. drive to the rockburn area.
No way, I was afraid to leave my car at Montebello and I work at Fairmont Heights!
My track team had to drive by Druid and the bus driver took a detour because she was afraid of that area.
You could not pay me to play Druid at night.

Last edited by prerube; 10-09-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 72
I played Druid a couple of times by myself during the day and never felt concerned about my safety. But it was during the summer and stayed light longer into the afternoon. As it is getting dark earlier this time of year, I could see getting lost driving out and ending up in wrong neighborhood. I am guessing you are from Philly, so you should know how to handle yourself in a city.

If I could play hooky from work, I would meet up and play with you, but I have too many meeting tomorrow.

Have fun!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 293
Druid is fine (in daylight hours), IMHO it's under rated. Rockborn is very close to I-95 and nice but print a map and avoid the briars, the gravel tees can be unlevel in places. Patapsco is great, 2 cement like tees and 2 baskets on each hole.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by discNDav View Post
Druid is fine (in daylight hours), IMHO it's under rated. Rockborn is very close to I-95 and nice but print a map and avoid the briars, the gravel tees can be unlevel in places. Patapsco is great, 2 cement like tees and 2 baskets on each hole.
I've played Druid at night many times, I get harassed by the police more than seeing any other trouble out there.

Rockburn now has tee pads on every hole except #4 in progress, and #15 which is a paved path. I love Rockburn, it's my home course, but I still try to avoid it in the jungle season. I've lost countless discs on good shots that took a bad kick.

Patapsco recently had some new finer crush put on the tees that made them slick. My plant foot kept sliding the other weekend. Normally those are my favorite tees though.