Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
But on topic, I've had the occasional disc returned to me after months and months being lost. My favorite is a Star Wraith that I lost in the late winter, maybe March, and in late Summer the same year, it was fished out of a lake that I hadn't thrown it in, and returned to me by the guy who found it. I decided to name it "Odysseus," and have it in my bag currently.

And just yesterday, I got two calls on separate discs lost at the same course, both from several months ago. The first one was a Valkyrie that a dude found, but he lives far enough away that I decided not to worry about trying to get it back. But yesterday he called again to say he was in the area, so he's going to put it in the found disc box at a local course. The second call was a DX Roc that I lost God only knows how long ago, and figured it was in somebody else's bag by now. Turns out a guy found it yesterday morning way up in a pine tree, in a place he said was one of the craziest places you'd never expect to find a disc. He's going to put it in the same found disc box. So double-win for me this week!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 17
I went out for an early morning (5am) round, played and didn't see or hear anyone. Finished at the parking lot, no other cars there and decided to play another round. On hole 5, there was a disc in the basket that wasn't there the first time around......
Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris C View Post
I went out for an early morning (5am) round, played and didn't see or hear anyone. Finished at the parking lot, no other cars there and decided to play another round. On hole 5, there was a disc in the basket that wasn't there the first time around......
Was it yours?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris C View Post
Was this course near Roswell?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 37
I once lost a champ beast up a tree at my home course. I could see it, but it was nested in the crux of 3 thick branches and wasn't coming down no matter what I threw at it. I gave up and the next day came back to find it was gone. A few months later, I was at a different course about 30 miles away and saw a disc resting on a pine branch about 20ft up. I knocked it down with a well thrown stick, and, lo and behold, it was the same champ beast I had lost before. Only difference is that some prick had crossed out my name! The sad epilogue of the story is that I lost it again that same round, never to see it again.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 44
7-8 years ago, i was teaching some folks how to play, so letting them use some of my super flippy discs to practice. There is a short 200' hole that had a tree dead in front of the basket, so there was VERY little hope of acing. The general play was to upshot right next to it, and take your easy 2. Going for the ace was super risky, and generally scored a 3.

So my buddy (this was maybe hole 13 of the day) threw the worst shot I've ever seen, a forehand that flipped completely into a roller after maybe 20-30' of flight time. the disc kept rolling....and rolling...right at the basket....hit a freaking stick on the ground and jumped up into the basket for an ace. I hadn't had one, neither had my other 2 friends who were avid disc golfers, and this dude gets one in the ONLY time he ever played the game.....so frustrating sometimes :-)

And these WAY long time until your disc gets found, you are giving me hope...i am still holding out for my #1 disc ever to come back to me after now over a year since I lost it and looked for over an hour for it in the thickest brush.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mart View Post
Then he saw a giant limb from a tree land right where he had been putting from on 5. Three days later I went to George Wilson for the first time and we heard a *crack* while standing on the teepad for 6. I turned around and saw a giant limb crash from a good 100' up right beside the 5 basket (where I had just been putting).
Similar thing happened to my brother one time, we were playing Maytag park in Newton IA. It wasn't even windy, but a giant limb cracked off a huge old oak tree, and landed right behind him as we were walking from 2 basket to 3 tee. It was big enough to cause a major head injury or worse. Who knows why that limb fell at that particular moment. [twilight zone music]
Old 10-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 54
I think it's always pretty weird when you shank a throw into evident brush, spend 5 minutes looking for it with your entire group but cannot find it, then you finally say, "screw it, let's go".

You continue walking towards the basket and there it lays, in close putting range. Wormholes and string theory perhaps.

I've seen this many, many times.

Last edited by pablo.diablo; 10-09-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 17
Nope, not mine, and not in Roswell either.... Any other good theories?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
All I'm basically saying is that most aces require some luck. Surely my first ace will be a minor "miracle."
sure, it's a bit lucky that a perfectly executed shot hits your target... i guess. if you know your discs and have control over them, then it's not out of the question that you can park reachable par 3 holes on a semi-regular basis, even as an amateur. if you keep putting yours discs near the basket, eventually one will go in. call it luck, I call it an educated guess.

that being said I have seen many ace run type shots turn into a 3, 4 or worse.