Old 10-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDodge View Post
It was a toss up between Lace and Tongue, with eyelet a distant third.

I shared the name with a couple players that tested the disc with me on Columbus Day and on hole 2, after chaining out with his 2nd shot with the new Lace, Mike Dussault said, "I Laced that drive!" It was music to my ears.
Gotta say, love your discs, hate the new driver's name. Lace?? I get that you guys make shoes and that some of your discs have been named after them, but you have so many badass climbing and mountaineering names available to you! I still think Vibram Aspect has a nice ring to it... In any case, keep on pumping out great discs, but please give some more thought to the naming scheme (I will NOT buy a Vibram Tongue, no matter how awesome a disc it is!)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Vibram Company Rep

Years Playing: 27.3
Courses Played: 1
Um, Vibram Tongue and Eyelet were jokes. (insert awkward to point that out emoticon here.)

And just so we all know, the name Lace caused many people to question it - but no one forgot it. We had it whittled down to five names. When people would say the possible names, some of the names would be missed from their list, but Lace stuck out.

For me, Lace is a term used to describe an awesome shot that hits its lines and finishes strong. Lace also has the term ACE right in the name, making rhymes very easy after you ace with your Lace. Give me some examples of your fave Lace rhymes.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Quote:
Um, Vibram Tongue and Eyelet were jokes. (insert awkward to point that out emoticon here.)

And just so we all know, the name Lace caused many people to question it - but no one forgot it. We had it whittled down to five names. When people would say the possible names, some of the names would be missed from their list, but Lace stuck out.

For me, Lace is a term used to describe an awesome shot that hits its lines and finishes strong. Lace also has the term ACE right in the name, making rhymes very easy after you ace with your Lace. Give me some examples of your fave Lace rhymes.
I'm still not sold, but I'm just one guy and I still plan to buy one so it's a moot point . I guess I missed the joke on the tongue and eyelet thing. It would have been more obvious if I didn't see the name lace as being in the same category as tongue and eyelet. Again, not trying to be negative, just don't dig the new name. What does everyone else think?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Recently I was doing some investigating and it seems that the pro end of the sport has stagnated and, imo, in order to kaboom the sport, we need to be on TV or at least internet TV (like DGPlanet). Here is a chart of the number of players that have earned $10K and $20K in the past decade.

I touched on our Grow the Sport page last night in my interview on DGTR. I'd like to know what you all think: http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/grow-the-sport.html
That's an interesting graph but I wonder what sponsorship has done for the players bottom line. This can't be all they earn. Do even the top pros have a second job?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Vibram Company Rep

Years Playing: 27.3
Courses Played: 1
I would assume top pros get another 50-100% in sponsorship in general.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Birdie Member

Vibram Lace huh? See! I knew the name was going to be something completely different then the names we were throwing out there. I still like it though! It goes with the Sole very well and also I like how Steve described it. Can't wait! Any estimated release date??? Best guess???
Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 101
I am stoked for this! Hopefully it is out in time for my Secret Santa to get me one!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Were the final molds a bit more stable than the testers? I heard the original test discs were a bit flippy.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
I would assume top pros get another 50-100% in sponsorship in general.
That's not a lot - of course "a lot" depends on whether or not you have a family to support and cost of living. Do you think sponsorship dollars might be a better indicator to this end? In sports like NASCAR the payouts are minuscule compared to the operating costs. The real money is in sponsors.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Just read the Grow the Sport proposal. Kudos on a tremendous idea, and for being brave enough to take other companies to task. I really hope this is something that can come to fruition.

What has the response been so far? In my limited experience, there are plenty of people who do not want the sport to grow, and I imagine that might cause some friction...
Closed Thread