Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
correct, it's not simple.

but the bullseye is hands down the best basket ever made.

if i was still competitive, I would have one in the backyard, no doubt about it.

anyone wanting to become a better putter, this is the basket to do it on.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
IMHO, anything that changes what is thrown or how it's thrown (aka Stand and Deliver and crap like that) is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE idea.

The only thing fair is simply reduce the size of the target. That way no one is forced to chance the way they play.

Totally agree. I would love to see a course try using those Gateway bullseye training baskets just to see how much of a scoring difference it would make.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.6
Courses Played: 117
So do it for a tourney or a mini MTL. Pull up the ring holding the outer chains, and zip-tie those chains to the chain-holder.

(Personally, it wouldn't impact my score. I can't make anything outside 12 feet anyway!)
Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
A tournament director here in NC is proposing doing some XC tier events on bullseye targets one round and then standard baskets the 2nd round and seeing the score difference.

I told him, as SC, I was 100% for the idea, just that the PDGA needed to approve the status of the event.

I would think that you see a bigger difference on shorter courses and less of a difference on harder courses.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:30 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
The bullseye basket is too shallow. Make it deeper and I would agree it would make putting tougher without as much bounce out luck.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub58 View Post
I don't completely agree with your ball golf comparison.
FWIW, I agreed with him, but I agree with you towards the end here too. OB in disc golf is entirely bizarre to me. There's areas of OB that are completely surrounded by in-bounds areas in disc golf. That doesn't even make sense.

99% of OB in golf is "the edge of the course property." Very rarely will you find "internal OB" and it's almost always done to protect players from cutting a corner or something (often for safety reasons).

Disc golf has a bunch of internal OB.

Quote:
While a fair amount of OB is "off course property", it is generally placed to take one side of the hole out of play - it carries the harshest penalty (same as a lost ball) because the course designer is telling you to err on the opposite side, and on the toughest holes there is something (bunkers, lateral hazard) on that opposite side. I've seen OB on a dogleg hole where there is another fairway in the OB area to discourage players from trying to cut the dogleg and hit someone in the other fairway.
Exactly, but those situations are really, really rare (and are better solved by discouraging players by putting trees on that side of the tee or something, to thwart the player who tries to go that route without putting up stupid "internal OB."

What Cgkdisc said about the varying levels of penalty is true. I think disc golf has that now so long as OB is kept to the periphery. If you miss the fairway, odds are you have a bad angle for your next shot and are surrounded by trees. That's one layer of penalty. If you throw quite far off-line but still don't really leave the course, well now you not only have the first penalty but you have added distance, too, so that's level 2.

If you throw so badly that you leave the entire course, well, then T&D seems appropriate for a third level of penalty.

Quote:
I think the buncr rule should be used to create something analagous to very heavy rough or a sand bunker in ball golf, and as such should be enforced differently as you have suggested - you play from the buncr area, but you add a shot rather than throwing your original shot again without penalty.
I'm tempted to say I'm okay with that, except for the fact that if you throw off the fairway you're already facing a penalty because, again, you'll have farther to throw and there will be trees or bushes or whatever in the way. No?

Quote:
Some roped-off areas should have drop zones, which is a lesser penalty than full T&D but is still worse than a buncr area, which would carry a penalty throw but you throw it from where it lies.
Similar to a water hazard in golf, then, which is a level down from OB but a level up from hitting it into the rough (or trees). Yes?

Level 0: Fairway - no real penalty
Level 1: Rough - longer distance, stuff in the way
Level 2: "Bunker" - play from edge, add a stroke
Level 3: OB - re-throw, add a stroke

That eliminates the "add a stroke and throw from where you are" idea, but I kind of like that list. What do you think?

Quote:
Three levels of penalty, each useful in certain circumstances. Having mostly/only one level is a bit lazy IMO.
I agree.