Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Mine is probably skewed because I'm usually running or helping run the tournament at "home". My 4th rounds in this cases have been abysmal.

I'd think the value of familiarity is diminishing. After the 2nd time around, how much more do you gain? After the 20th?
Depends on the course and how smart the player is.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:15 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
where is this data pulled from? (i'm a numbers nerd) It makes sense, and like other guy said, barely a perceptible difference in score.
Roger Smith is the guy who does the hardcore processing of the ratings with me for the PDGA. He produced this report.

As with most things involving ratings averages, personal results can vary quite bit. In the long run we would like to create a way for players to produce "what if" ratings based on the type of course or weather conditions once that data can be corss referenced in the PDGA databases.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 10-12-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty5150 View Post
i just quickly went through this exercise.... I see consistently higher rated rounds when travelling.

A neat trend I noticed is that my average round rating increases each round. R1's(925) R2's(928) R3's(953) R4's(961).
Must be nice.
R1 (12): 930
R2 (11): 918
R3 (6): 935
R4 (3) 937

I am Mr. Consistency since April:
R1 (7): 936
R2 (6): 935
R3 (5): 942
R4 (3) 937
Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
Depends on the course and how smart the player is.
Therein lies my problem.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Philosophically, no one should have a problem if a player plays in the same division for one season no matter how good they get during that time.
FTR, I disagree with this statement. I've also been brainstorming new formats that generate competitive experiences based on how people are playing that day. For example, all one division first round. Everyone gets carded randomly. Card winners go in the top division for the second round. Card losers go in the bottom division. Tiered payout yields no motivation to bag the first round. Everyone in the top division cashes for more than the players in the middle division. Everyone in the middle division cashes for more than the players in the lowest division. Only card winners the second round cash in the lowest division. Something like that. Sort of a pooled match play system. No ratings required.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:41 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
See barrel racing (NBHRA) for a format similar to that.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 40
Ratings usually work out pretty well. As I said earlier, there are intentional ways of deception, playing off of the TD and all the work they have to put in the day of/day before. But often I would say that sandbagging is unintentional...some people just dont know. Sanctioned tournaments really have a low rate of sandbaggin, aside from the Rec division.

I hold that most INTENTIONAL sandbagging happens in non-sanctioned tourneys, and there is the big hiccup in the get-along. Because there is just no way to track that. The upshot to that is that non-snactioned tourneys tend to be smaller, therefore, less prizes/payouts are available in the first place.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 13
has the pdga opened up the registry for 2013 yet?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
I've also been brainstorming new formats that generate competitive experiences based on how people are playing that day. For example, all one division first round. Everyone gets carded randomly. Card winners go in the top division for the second round. Card losers go in the bottom division. Tiered payout yields no motivation to bag the first round. Everyone in the top division cashes for more than the players in the middle division. Everyone in the middle division cashes for more than the players in the lowest division. Only card winners the second round cash in the lowest division. Something like that. Sort of a pooled match play system. No ratings required.
Aside from the random carding, this is somewhat akin to how a flights tournament works. The problem with random carding is that much like random doubles, the cards aren't guaranteed to be equal caliber.

Under your system, someone who ends up finishing third on a strong card is essentially out of the money, even if they shoot lights out the rest of the tournament. Someone who ends up winning a weaker card is essentially guaranteed cash, even if they stink it up the rest of the way.

Needless to say, this thread has been an entertaining read, as it seems to be one 'solution in search of a problem' after another.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:03 AM
DGCR Vendor

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
member or not the PDGA tracks a current rating regardless of membership status. It is my understanding that a TD has access to this info and it is on them to tell players if they are rated too high for a division.

Who is officially responsible for monitoring ratings? If the TD misses it for example, should the player be disqualified after the tournament for playing the wrong division?

I just finally became a PDGA member and it seems every tournament result I click on has players in divisions lower than their rating. So who's to blame?