Old 11-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 25
Most important part of the game

There are ton's of debates out there on what's more important. Driving vs Putting, Accuracy vs Distance. I have a challenge for all of you out there. Go out and play and for each hole you don't birdie make a note of what kept you from getting the birdie. I'll let you decide what birdie is on the hole. I think the results will vary from course to course and player to player. But this execise will tell you what YOU need to improve on.

I broke it down into three catagories:
Putting
Accuracy
Distance

I understand that it's kind of subjective. For instance, if you throw your drive dead nuts straight 60' short of the hole and miss the putt do you need more distance or better putting? This is for your game so during your round you decide.

What I would like is what course you played and how many stroke you would have saved by:
Better putting
Better accuracy
More distance
Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Accuracy on drives and approaches is probably #1.
Landing within 15' of the basket can eliminate the need to make long putts.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 165
I started making spreadsheets of my rounds last year so I can see where my game needs improvement. I must admit, I haven't been doing them as often as I'd like. Here's an example of one of my rounds last weekend at Northwood Park:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...fbEVIZVE#gid=0

The green cells marked with a '+' represent either a good shot which gave me an opportunity to score on the field or a great recovery shot after a bad drive. Any red cells marked with a '-' at the end are missed shots that potentially caused lost strokes.

In this particular scenario I was having a pretty decent round but let a few bad shots at the end get in my head, causing me to start missing off the tee and give up strokes. I need to keep working on my head game. That would have saved me the most strokes here. Aside from the mental game, it looks like I could use some more work on consistency on my release on drives.

Last edited by notroman; 11-10-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 86
Clearly I would like to improve all of these things. Last winter I worked on putting and while I can putt much better now, I actually played worse this year. In previous years I worked on improving distance and had improvement in my game. This winter I have been striving on accuracy so far. We'll see what happens.

You really cannot neglect any part of the game. Over half my throws are putts so naturally it seems like it would be putting. But, it you are going to play higher calibur courses, accuracy becomes a much bigger issue as these courses will force you to throw shots to a particular place. I guess based on that it would really depend on the course. If I can't throw accurately on a tight course, I am never going to have a chance to putt as I will have to scramble all the time.

Hmm, I am stumped.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_g View Post
Accuracy on drives and approaches is probably #1.
Landing within 15' of the basket can eliminate the need to make long putts.
This is, what I have found by farm the most critical part of the game. Very early on I had one of the local pros tell me "The first thing you need to learn is to get the disc to come out of you hand on the line you intended, everything else is secondary."
Old 11-10-2012, 09:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 83
If you play well, the birdies will come. If you start pressing yourself to get birdies all the time or actually try to get a birdie to offset an earlier bogey, you are only going to get yourself in deeper trouble. I think this would be a better exercise if you track what keeps you from getting par, or more specifically, what keeps you from getting a tap-in par.

I guarantee you that if you find the accuracy and distance to almost always get tap-in pars, those birdies will start happening more often. It may not always be the same holes every round, but they will happen more frequently, and with less bogeys bringing you down. You will also hit pars and birdies more often on those par 4 and 5s when those who are pressing are more likely getting bogeys or worse.

Because this is the way I play, for the sake of your challenge as it is, the thing that keeps me from getting more birdies is all the putts I miss from 30 or so feet. In a round of 18, I generally lose out on 4 to 6 birdies because of putting my drives within 30-40 feet and then missing the putt (consistently just barely). I have been getting better recently, especially at around 25 feet, but putting is where my biggest problem lies.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 66
Fun. The most important part of the game.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
Fun. The most important part of the game.

This. Everything else is just a bonus.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 12
Yep. Fun.

Spreadsheets,notes, worry about this worry about that = no fun.

But maybe for some it is I guess.

Best thing I did for my game was building a basket and putting everyday. I go out in the morning with my coffee and dogs and putt. Come home from work and putt. Go out at night putt in the dark.

Last edited by Okie-J; 11-10-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 24
Well.....Judging from what potentially irritates me in a round, it's missed short putts....Really need to break down and put a practice basket in the yard. I'm a pretty inaccurate putter, so for me it would definitely shave some strokes just to be reliable from 15 to 20' ...Today at Limona DGC in Brandon, Fl, I would have shaved 3 strokes in nine holes by just making my 15 to 20' putts