Disc Golf Center
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Acceptable Percentage of Entry Fees for Payout?

I'm trying to figure my payout table for a NON-sactioned tournament in the Spring, and I wanted to make sure I'm not shorting the payout.

I have three divisions, two of them are paying out 75% of their entry fees, and one is paying out 62.5% of their entry fees. All three divisions are paying 50% deep player-wise.

Is that an acceptable use of their entry fees? I don't want to cheap out on the players on pure payout, but I do want some funds remaining for other things like CTPs, etc.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 44
we always do CTP's and ace fund as extra buyins on top of entry fee, not pulled from entry fees. Sometimes a sponsor will add $100 or something to Ace fund, but otherwise, it's just what is put in the fund by the players. (normally $3 ace / $2 CTP)

I would say pay as much as possible, keeping extra, not official payout stuff to a minimum.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
we always do CTP's and ace fund as extra buyins on top of entry fee, not pulled from entry fees. Sometimes a sponsor will add $100 or something to Ace fund, but otherwise, it's just what is put in the fund by the players. (normally $3 ace / $2 CTP)

I would say pay as much as possible, keeping extra, not official payout stuff to a minimum.
Ace Pools are always buy-ins, but we usually do CTPs out of the entry fees because it lets people feel like even if they suck out that day they have a chance at not wasting an entire entry fee.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Are you paying everyone in cash?

If so and if you're non-sanctioned, I'd just take out expenses and cost of CTPs, etc., and pay out everything else. Just so long as you don't come out of pocket.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Are you paying everyone in cash?

If so and if you're non-sanctioned, I'd just take out expenses and cost of CTPs, etc., and pay out everything else. Just so long as you don't come out of pocket.
Everyone is cash. A chunk of fees are going towards players packs for everyone (shirts, badass ones ). Any hole sponsorships or business sponsorships are going straight to payout (50% to Pro, 30% to Am, 20% to Rec).

I guess I'll just stick with my current payout scale and tack anything left over onto tthe payouts that day.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 101
If you run a lot of events, its good to start a CTP stash. When I order players packs, I always gets few extra and set aside. Over time you'll get quite a nice selection of CTP stuff in waiting. That way you don't have to worry about the overall cost of CTPs.

I started setting aside discs and other things just for CTPs in 2008. My CTP stash is anywhere from 80-100 discs strong along with shirts, minis, hats and other things.

Work with company's like Gateway. They're really good and giving some extra. Innova does too but if you buy CFR plastic, you don't get the extra stuff.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 56
Along with ctp's and an ace pool, a putting contest is really cool as well and let's even the most novice have a shot. They are especially cool if you are playing at a course that has very few "aceable" runs.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwfromthewoods View Post
Everyone is cash. A chunk of fees are going towards players packs for everyone (shirts, badass ones ). Any hole sponsorships or business sponsorships are going straight to payout (50% to Pro, 30% to Am, 20% to Rec).

I guess I'll just stick with my current payout scale and tack anything left over onto tthe payouts that day.
75% of entries in two of your divisions and 62.5% of entries in the other are earmarked for performance payouts, meaning that the 25%/25%/37.5% is where you're pulling funding for the player pack?

For all intents and purposes, a player pack IS payout, just not payout based on performance in the tournament. So in reality, you're paying more than 75% of the entry back. If the cost of your shirts is the entire 25%/37.5% amount you're pulling from entries, you are returning 100% of the entry fees back to the players. Sounds perfectly acceptable to me.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
For all intents and purposes, ...
thank you! you are the first person I've ever seen online that didn't say "for all intensive purposes".

one of my pet peaves ... cheers!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 30
I don't understand this type of stuff. Or better worded, I don't understand why people are so worried about how much is paid out.

I'm looking to form a club here in Erie, PA and I'd envision hosting tournaments where the average entry fee is about $15 ($20 to non-members, $10 to members) and we might get 30 people. That's $450.

$100 for first place.
$75 for second.
$50 for third.
$25 for fourth.

Players can add cash for an ace pot or a CTP.

The $200 left over goes to the club to help pay for tee pads, signs, etc.

Why should anything close to 100% of the money be paid back out? That's not a tournament - that's just people throwing money in a pot and divvying it up amongst themselves.

It was said in another thread (or maybe this one) that people seem to place $0 of value on playing in "a tournament" in and of itself.

Last edited by iacas; 11-14-2012 at 08:26 PM.