Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Toronto to Charlotte

Hey guys looking for some input.
My cousin and I are planning a road trip from Toronto to Charlotte for a few days in the early spring and have some questions about what courses we encounter on the way. We want to play the best of the best and want to hit as many top 20 courses as we can on the way. It is going to be short and sweet. We plan on getting to Charlotte on the 2nd afternoon and home on the 4th day.

I have read a couple of Charlotte travel threads and have a good idea what to play in town but have some questions for the stuff along the way.

First stop just over the boarder
Should we play Black Diamond or Hawk's Landing+ Shadow of the hawk?

Second stop
Moraine State Park or Deer Lakes? Deer lakes seems like the obvious choice but maybe you con convince us otherwise.

Where should we eat while spending the night in Pittsburgh?

The three that has stood out from PA to Charlotte are Orange Crush and Seth Burton (more Orange crush!) and Sugaree in Linsville NC(I think I want to play this one the most out of everything on the list.)

When in Charlotte I am planning on hitting Reny Gold, Nevin, Hornets Nest and Robert Smith. Anything else you would suggest while in the area?

Same goes for great pro shops, eating and attractions along the way.

This isn't for a long time I am just an obsessive planner.

Thanks in advance

Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.3
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATER View Post
When in Charlotte I am planning on hitting Reny Gold, Nevin, Hornets Nest and Robert Smith. Anything else you would suggest while in the area?
Those are the cream.

If you've followed the USDGC with any interest at all, go play the Winthrop Gold course. Depending on your skill level, it's a fun course to play without the rope. Then you can just imagine the rope and what the big dogs face.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATER View Post
Hey guys looking for some input.
My cousin and I are planning a road trip from Toronto to Charlotte for a few days in the early spring and have some questions about what courses we encounter on the way. We want to play the best of the best and want to hit as many top 20 courses as we can on the way. It is going to be short and sweet. We plan on getting to Charlotte on the 2nd afternoon and home on the 4th day.

I have read a couple of Charlotte travel threads and have a good idea what to play in town but have some questions for the stuff along the way.

First stop just over the boarder
Should we play Black Diamond or Hawk's Landing+ Shadow of the hawk?

Second stop
Moraine State Park or Deer Lakes? Deer lakes seems like the obvious choice but maybe you con convince us otherwise.

Where should we eat while spending the night in Pittsburgh?

The three that has stood out from PA to Charlotte are Orange Crush and Seth Burton (more Orange crush!) and Sugaree in Linsville NC(I think I want to play this one the most out of everything on the list.)

Same goes for great pro shops, eating and attractions along the way.

This isn't for a long time I am just an obsessive planner.

Thanks in advance

Moraine and Deer lakes are both great courses and I don't think you can rate one above the other. I would definitely say play both if you can. Moraine is probably easier to play on your trip as it is 15 minutes off of 79. Deer lakes is about 15 minutes off of 76 and maybe 40 minutes out of your way round trip.

As far as eating, I have a special affinity toward Fat Heads on the South Side. Primanti Bros is also another good choice as it is the restaurant (sandwich shop?) that everybody has to go to when they come to the 'burgh.

Orange Crush in WV is a tough course, but fun (if you can handle the pain). Seth Burton is nice in that it is at the same place as Orange Crush, but I think it is a significantly weaker course. It may be good though to build your ego back up after the beatdown at OC.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 52
If you are planning on playing Hornets Nest and Nevin, they are both on the north side of Charlotte so you should try to play Bradford as well, it too is on the north side. Look us up!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.9
Courses Played: 24
They dont say " Eh " in Charlotte.
They say " Yall " alot.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 44
I agree that Moraine would be easier for your trip. Deer Lakes is a good bit out of the way on your way south. If you want to play 2 in Pittsburgh area, Knob Hill is minutes off 79 as well. Just about a half hour south of Moraine. While not the same caliber as Deer Lakes, it's a good course that's easy to get to along your path.

As for eating. It depends on where you are staying. Fat Heads & Primanti Bros. are great. Fat Heads has a much better beer selection! Burgatory is also delicious.

PM us when your plans are more finalized.

P.S. I am a Pens season ticket holder, and if there is a season maybe I can take you to a game.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Getting closer and we are getting excited.

Couple questions

We are looking to play at least 2 courses each day. Hopefully some days 3, what would be the best combo of courses to play in a day. Taking into consideration difficulty of the course, difficulty of terrain and close proximity to each other.

We have since decided to leave Toronto mid day and drive right though the night so for now deer lakes and moraine are out.

We are there for 4 full days with a potential day trip to Sugaree and a day south of the city to Winthrop. If Sugaree is too much of a mission it may be skipped but damn does it look awesome.

I know there is no such thing as the best local brew or BBQ joint but some suggestions down the right path would be awesome.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: LHBH
Best Combination of Brewery and Food: Heist Brewery http://www.heistbrewery.com/
Best BBQ in Charlotte: Midwood Smokehouse http://midwoodsmokehouse.com/

If I had four days in Charlotte, I would do:

Day 1
Bradford 1.5 hr, Hornets Nest 2 hr, Sugaw 1.5 hr

Day 2
Winthrop (bring map) 2 hr, Elon Angry 2 hr, Winget 1.5 hr

Day 3
Nevin 2 hr , Eastway 1.5 hr, Kilborne 1.5 hr

Day 4
Renny Gold 2.5 hr, RL Smith 2hr
Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: LHBH
Holla if you need anymore recommendations.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.3
Courses Played: 117
You won't need a whole day at Winthrop, but you will need a course map. You MUST have a course map. Or a guide. Anyway, it's only like 30 mins from Elon or Renny or Winget, so you can easily pair it with other courses.

Renny and RL Smith are fairly close to each other, so they make a good day. Add Winget if you want a 3rd course that day.

Hornet's and Nevin are very close to each other. Add Bradford if you want a 3rd course.

Man, this would be easier if we knew if you wanted to be turbo and play 3 courses a day, or relax and play 2 per day, with possible repeat rounds on the same day.

Google Mac's Speed Shop (2 locations) for good bbq and a pretty good selection of beer. I like Midwood Smokehouse even more for bbq.

Local Breweries (google each of them for hours):
Olde Meck Brewery - Solid german-style beers. Brats to eat.
Triple C - Very good beer. Food trucks only.
NoDa - Very good beer. Food trucks only.
Birdsong - Very good beer. Food trucks only.
Heist - Not good beer. Full restaurant with awesome but overpriced food.
AssClown - Crazy beer. No food.

**NoDa and Birdsong are literally right next door to each other.

When I say "very good beer", I mean to standard beer lovers. If you are a beer snob, you will find something to dislike at each of them and/or they may not suit your liking.