Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've been taking discs out....Deliberately going out with less, then going out with a completely different bag...no more than six or seven discs to the same course and seeing how things are the same or different....The benefit for me has been increased disc knowledge and understanding the strengths and weaknesses in each...For a relatively new player, I think this is helping me improve in the long run....
Old 11-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
I was listening to DGTR Live the other day and Feldberg mentioned that he only uses 4-5 main molds. Hearing that from one of the world's very best players cemented my opinion that I only need 4-5 molds. That doesn't mean I'm only using 6 discs on the course. Different plastics, weights, stages of wear etc. can give a lot of flexibility to a "minimalist" bag. Just my opinion. But, I definitely enjoy buying new plastic and trying out new stuff as well
Most pros really don't have a big bag from what I've seen. Feldberg doesn't have a lot of molds but he does carry a ton of discs. I saw Will's in the bag and he isn't carrying many molds, McCabe currently has like 5 Forces, 1 Nuke, and some Buzzz's. Not much else. Like most have said here, it truley is what you feel that you personally need to shoot well. My core bag is just a Buzzz and putter with everything else just filling holes. I feel I can shoot pretty well with just a Buzzz, putter and FD. There's not many shots I can't do with those. Add a Firebird and I'm as happy as a pea in a pod.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter View Post
Most pros really don't have a big bag from what I've seen. Feldberg doesn't have a lot of molds but he does carry a ton of discs. I saw Will's in the bag and he isn't carrying many molds, McCabe currently has like 5 Forces, 1 Nuke, and some Buzzz's. Not much else. Like most have said here, it truley is what you feel that you personally need to shoot well. My core bag is just a Buzzz and putter with everything else just filling holes. I feel I can shoot pretty well with just a Buzzz, putter and FD. There's not many shots I can't do with those. Add a Firebird and I'm as happy as a pea in a pod.
This is a misleading situation to me. I feel like it's a cop-out. If a pro carries 5-7 of a single mold in different states of wear because they make different shots for them, it might as well be 5 different discs. I don't consider that minimalizing your bag.

I carry an Opto Pure for driving and approaches and an EZE Pure for putting, but I don't consider them the same disc. If Feldberg uses a filled up Voodoo Zulu, then he has a filled up Voodoo Zulu.

Personally, I'd love to see an A-tier event with a 6-disc cap and see how the pros stack up against each other with that restriction. That would be an pretty interesting tournament, I think.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwfromthewoods View Post
Personally, I'd love to see an A-tier event with a 6-disc cap and see how the pros stack up against each other with that restriction. That would be an pretty interesting tournament, I think.
I bet the results would be very similar to what we see at regular A-tiers.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
This is a misleading situation to me. I feel like it's a cop-out. If a pro carries 5-7 of a single mold in different states of wear because they make different shots for them, it might as well be 5 different discs. I don't consider that minimalizing your bag.

I carry an Opto Pure for driving and approaches and an EZE Pure for putting, but I don't consider them the same disc. If Feldberg uses a filled up Voodoo Zulu, then he has a filled up Voodoo Zulu.

Seconded. I think it would really make the pros show off their skills.

I went to a clinic with Feldberg, Nikko, and Philo last night. Feldberg didn't talk about molds much, but Nikko and Philo both mentioned the idea of US-S-OS discs for putters, mids, fairways, and distance drivers. I have gone with that setup before, and am going to head back to it soon, but it really is a mental security thing. Even when I have a mold for each slot, I rarely use all of them in a round. Often times, I am using the stable disc in each slot and making it work lines. It helps, though, to know you have something flippy when it really needs to be flippy, or something for a headwind if the weather changes.

That being said, I have been going Volt-Axis-Anode this month, and I live in SoCal. I can get a lot done with the combination of those 3 discs and a 70-degree November.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I bet the results would be very similar to what we see at regular A-tiers.
lol, I assume they would too. It wasn't a comment meant to deconstruct the skill level of top pros. Simply an idea I thought would be neat.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:32 PM
* Innova: Choice of Champions *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 14
I think the biggest thing is knowing your bag, whatever that means to you.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
lol, I assume they would too. It wasn't a comment meant to deconstruct the skill level of top pros. Simply an idea I thought would be neat.
Unless of course, that the mental game was changed, and a certain pro, or pros could not feel they could play well without all their discs.

Maybe it wouldn't be the same after all. It's a cool premise.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Unless of course, that the mental game was changed, and a certain pro, or pros could not feel they could play well without all their discs.

Maybe it wouldn't be the same after all. It's a cool premise.
A lost disc would be much more critical!

Old 11-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
This is a misleading situation to me. I feel like it's a cop-out. If a pro carries 5-7 of a single mold in different states of wear because they make different shots for them, it might as well be 5 different discs. I don't consider that minimalizing your bag
I disagree. If you have different stages of wear within the same disc then you learned what that specific disc can do to get it there. Also it is the exact same disc so when you grab it you already know the feel, rim width, grip, ect of that disc. Its the same feel when you throw it.