Disc Golf Store
  #951  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:08 AM
MrGlass01's Avatar
MrGlass01 MrGlass01 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Glarus, WI
Posts: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
The red overmolds on the FRs were originally referred to as "electron plastic"
I wouldn't be surprised if that name came back.
In some ways that was a lifetime ago. Most people don't know about their first run especially if it was called electron. It fits their theme.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #952  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 AM
discspeed's Avatar
discspeed discspeed is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 3,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
The red overmolds on the FRs were originally referred to as "electron plastic"
I wouldn't be surprised if that name came back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlass01 View Post
In some ways that was a lifetime ago. Most people don't know about their first run especially if it was called electron. It fits their theme.
Yeah, I can't believe I'm already giving history lessons on MVP...You are right though, at this point a lot of people aren't aware of their history and where they came from. MVP is definitely our "home team" in terms of DG forums. The MVP guys were just posters on DGR discussing nerdy stuff and they took what they learned and started their company. They were literally born and bred here on the internet which is one of the reasons I've always supported them so stoutly. They met me on DGR/here and I convinced them to let me test their discs and review them, and they met Zamson there as well and ended up hiring him as their disc artist/web designer. MVP is "our" disc golf company.

Last edited by discspeed; 11-17-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #953  
Old 11-17-2012, 05:58 PM
onemilemore's Avatar
onemilemore onemilemore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Marcos, CA
Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Yeah, I can't believe I'm already giving history lessons on MVP...You are right though, at this point a lot of people aren't aware of their history and where they came from. MVP is definitely our "home team" in terms of DG forums. The MVP guys were just posters on DGR discussing nerdy stuff and they took what they learned and started their company. They were literally born and bred here on the internet which is one of the reasons I've always supported them so stoutly. They met me on DGR/here and I convinced them to let me test their discs and review them, and they met Zamson there as well and ended up hiring him as their disc artist/web designer. MVP is "our" disc golf company.
I had the pleasure of talking to Brad and Chad this morning for a future article for Rattling Chains, and they could not have been more friendly. And Discspeed, I will be in touch with you, if you don't mind, for the story as well.

As for the Axis, I have fallen way back in love with it. It can shape so many lines, and go for distance. I took it and an Anode out for a glow round last night, and didn't miss a driver too much. The Axis is so responsive to what angle you release it on, but it will also tell you if you are torquing it poorly. It is the most versatile disc in my bag, and I literally get excited each time I get to throw it. Big thanks to Um... for encouraging me to stick with it, because it took awhile for me to click with it. Now that I've figured it out, there is no going back.
Reply With Quote
  #954  
Old 11-17-2012, 06:01 PM
BigSky's Avatar
BigSky BigSky is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,186
Can't wait for that article. You'll let us know when it's posted right?

I'm discovering once again that the Axis is probably one of the best discs ever made. Totally agree with you onemilemore
Reply With Quote
  #955  
Old 11-17-2012, 06:03 PM
onemilemore's Avatar
onemilemore onemilemore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Marcos, CA
Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,890
^^Definitely. You may have to wait a bit - we have a couple other things in the works - but I will be sure to let everyone know when it is up.

Better yet, follow us on Twitter or Facebook (shameless plug) and you will know as soon as it is published.
Reply With Quote
  #956  
Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 PM
burdphil's Avatar
burdphil burdphil is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 20
Posts: 681
Just took my axis out of the bag in favor of a nice flat mako. The axis just couldn't compete with the mako for dead straight neutralness in all conditions.

My bag is now MVP free... the vector lost out to a pig, and the ion/anode combo couldn't touch my champ/pro rhynos.

Can't say I didn't try I guess...
Reply With Quote
  #957  
Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 PM
discspeed's Avatar
discspeed discspeed is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 3,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdphil View Post
Just took my axis out of the bag in favor of a nice flat mako. The axis just couldn't compete with the mako for dead straight neutralness in all conditions.

My bag is now MVP free... the vector lost out to a pig, and the ion/anode combo couldn't touch my champ/pro rhynos.

Can't say I didn't try I guess...
Have you tried a flat Neutron Axis? It is the straightest Axis I've thrown. Besides that you are comparing the MVP discs to discs that are very different. The Pig is closer to your Rhyno than it is to the Vector...It's a small diameter short overstable approach disc where the Vector is like a slightly faster Roc, which is a large diameter more versatile and longer midrange. The Rhyno is on the opposite end of the spectrum from the MVP putters in many ways. Rhynos can more or less be thrown like you would throw your driver off the tee, and a low glide overstable putter. The Ion/Anode are higher profile gliding putters, so they take more touch to work with but are also more versatile.

What you choose to throw is totally up to you, I just wanted to point out that you are not comparing apples to apples.
Reply With Quote
  #958  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Throwasurge's Avatar
Throwasurge Throwasurge is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pender Is. B.C.
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Have you tried a flat Neutron Axis? It is the straightest Axis I've thrown.
That's one sentence that'll cost me money, now I want another one. Weenie.

Axis is my go to, ace runnin skin saving machine. I think it's the best disc in my bag especially in wind, but with the heavy weights I can see how people are gunshy. Is the neutron easier to throw?

And I split my first Ion on a tree. So congrats to me.. if I was to replace a Medium 170 with a Neutron 170 I understand that's closer to a year of wear than a soft? Yes? (I haven't got a Neutron Ion but lots of softs)
Reply With Quote
  #959  
Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 AM
steve a steve a is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: behind the basket
Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 89
Posts: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwasurge View Post
That's one sentence that'll cost me money, now I want another one. Weenie.

Axis is my go to, ace runnin skin saving machine. I think it's the best disc in my bag especially in wind, but with the heavy weights I can see how people are gunshy. Is the neutron easier to throw?

And I split my first Ion on a tree. So congrats to me.. if I was to replace a Medium 170 with a Neutron 170 I understand that's closer to a year of wear than a soft? Yes? (I haven't got a Neutron Ion but lots of softs)
What? Pics?
Reply With Quote
 

  #960  
Old 11-18-2012, 12:27 AM
BigSky's Avatar
BigSky BigSky is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve a View Post
What? Pics?
I thought the same thing, but then I saw he lives in British Columbia.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.