Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Just play your game. I had my first tourny a couple weeks ago myself. You might get paired up with someone a lot better than you are. Do NOT try and throw their lines play YOUR shot. Also, go a day early to the course a play a round or two just to get the nerves out a bit. And show up the day of the tourny a bit early and practice a bit to ease the nerves as well. Most importantly have FUN and learn from people. Other than that good luck!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 101
I am playing in my first tourney on Sunday,.I am playing advanced. The course is temporary so no one will have a big local advantage. Good luck and more importantly have fun.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to bdodson
i agree with play YOUR GAME. Dont try something you have not done before. if you have a lie you have not seen before, try and find a lane where you will be throwing one of your shots. this means being patient and sometimes laying up because you simply cant reach with your throw. DO NOT force anything.

remember that tournament play is completely different than a casual round or even a league night. try and have fun and enjoy the challenge the course presents you. good luck!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdodson View Post
i agree with play YOUR GAME. Dont try something you have not done before. if you have a lie you have not seen before, try and find a lane where you will be throwing one of your shots. this means being patient and sometimes laying up because you simply cant reach with your throw. DO NOT force anything.

remember that tournament play is completely different than a casual round or even a league night. try and have fun and enjoy the challenge the course presents you. good luck!
^^^^ this is excellent advice. Also, Expect to get a few 4's and mabye even a 5. These things happen in tourneys. The key is though to shake it off and not let it follow you to the next hole.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:13 AM

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLong View Post
have you played the course before?
yes i played the course once but it was not the original course layout. they had changed it due to a tournament. that being said i did check with the TD and he said that i would change again for the tournament that i will be playing. i will go out and play a round on friday.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:17 AM

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
thanks for the advice guys. i will be nervous no doubt! hopefully i can keep it together. i think my issue is going to be the length of the course. im used to playing short wooded courses and this one is a big arm throwers dream. They had a hole set up at 1000'.......but the TD said they would shorten the holes for this tourney! i hope so....
Old 11-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: LHBH
practice your putting inside the circle as much as you can. hitting everything 30 ft and in will give you a big advantage over some of the longer arms.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 92
Mentally prepare yourself for the slowest round of disc golf you've ever played. A lot of guys think they're the disc golf equivalent of Tiger Woods and will take forever to take their shot. Long, long, long waits to play your next shot will be common. You'll be excited to play, so this might be frustrating to you. Prepare to chill for long periods of time... all day.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Read the rule book, carry it with you. Lots of (non)rules circulate in the beginner divisions, and lots of misunderstandings come about as a result. (Not that advanced and beyond players are much better about enforcement and adherence to the rules, necessarily.)

Old 11-22-2012, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenonabun View Post
In Int. you won't need to play like a hero, just focus on not messing up and avoiding bogeys.
This. Don't be a hero. If you see a line you don't think you can make, don't try and do something you're not used to.

The usuals that haven't been mentioned in this thread:

Dress appropriately, maybe take extra socks.

Take snacks

Keep well hydrated

Prepare for a much longer round, and possible long delays / backups on certain holes.

And of course, have fun, enjoy the tourney experience, and learn from the mistakes that you will inevitebly make so you play better next time.

Good luck!