Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: LHBH
Here is a question - I understand the consequences of a rubber-arm trying to throw a Nuke or a Boss.

What about the other way, what happens when you throw a low speed disc much faster than its disc speed?

I've been puzzling over how people throw mid-ranges over 300 feet for example. These discs must be going much faster than their ideal speed.

Is it a question of the disc's natural stability, or technique, i.e. throwing it on a hyzer angle, a combo thereof?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
Here is a question - I understand the consequences of a rubber-arm trying to throw a Nuke or a Boss.

What about the other way, what happens when you throw a low speed disc much faster than its disc speed?
In general they'll act more understable than their ratings, but some discs act as advertised over a wide range of speeds.

Quote:
I've been puzzling over how people throw mid-ranges over 300 feet for example. These discs must be going much faster than their ideal speed.
Just a fun fact, but "slower" discs have a higher initial speed than "faster" discs. It's because you can get a stronger grip on a narrower rim. The "slower" discs just slow down a lot faster than the "fast" ones.

Quote:
Is it a question of the disc's natural stability, or technique, i.e. throwing it on a hyzer angle, a combo thereof?
It's a combo. However, as I said above, there are some discs that perform well over a wide range of speeds. Many of them are putters and mids. For example, discs like the BB Aviar, Wizard, Challenger, Roc, Wasp, Buzzz, and many other putters and mids like that can take a lot of power without getting squirrley. So players who throw real far will still get a lot of use out of them. The discs where it's a big deal are usually the ones that are understable out of the box. They tend to be more "speed sensitive" and will turn a lot more when thrown with a lot more power.

It's another can of worms, but that's what people talk about if you hear them referring to discs as "speed stable" (they act overstable if thrown under speed and understable if thrown over speed) or "true" or "design" stable (they act like they're supposed to over a wide range of speeds).
Old 11-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongoff09 View Post
While it is true that most courses aren't long enough for throws over about 400', why would you limit yourself on those 5% of courses where they are useful? I often get asked by players that know me why I carry a Boss when they never see me throw it. Well, I threw it on quite a few holes at Selah Ranch because of the hole distances. It helped me get a few extra feet of reliable distance instead of having to flip my lower speed drivers that I carry to get that far.

It is a lot easier throwing a mid or putter into a long par-4 or -5 instead of having to throw that fairway driver again.
Because to me, it's unnecessary. If I can throw my Saint or Teebird consistently out to about 400', AND with a decidedly better accuracy, why mess up a good thing? I used to throw higher speed stuff - Katana, Boss, Xcal, Havoc/Blitz/Halo, etc. - but I struggled with some accuracy issues. So I disced down: I found success with the Rhyno, Buzzz SS, Teebird, Leopard, and the like, and my round scores improved. I carry a smaller bag (Innova Standard with 13 discs - 3 putters, 4 mids, and 6 fairways), which eliminates confusion for me, and I'm pleased with things so far. Perhaps I'll throw some high speed stuff again this winter, and maybe I'll find them useful again.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: LHBH
Thx garublador, that explains a lot.