Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart View Post
Please read this in a curious tone, not a negative tone:

Why did they send the testers 2 discs that aren't the actual AMP? What are they trying to learn from these 2 discs? With the release in a week and a half it seems really strange. It sounds kind of improbable but hopefully they get some real AMPS to the testers before this launch so I can see what I'm actually buying.
Because the discs we have are actual Amps. It sounds like my red one is only a bit more understable than intended (and probably within the accepted tolerance for the mold) and my white one a bit more stable (maybe just outside the tolerance). So I think my reviews will hold true for most who buy an Amp.

I kind of answered your question in my post above...When they turn the machine on and start pumping plastic through it does not just start popping out good parts...There are things like bubble and sinks that make them scrap the first discs made. They have to tweak the settings on the machines over and over to get them coming out consistently how they want them. This is why "first runs" of other companies' discs fly differently from production runs (the testers essentially have "first run" Amps).

Usually they send the testers discs from later in the run, but when the PDGA site accidentally leaked the Amp release everything got sent into superspeed at MVP. They ran red/white Amps first and sent us out discs as soon as good parts were coming out (otherwise testers may have not even gotten discs before retailers). MVP knew that these discs were a little weird, but they still represent most of the defining characteristics of what the Amp is.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart View Post
Please read this in a curious tone, not a negative tone:

Why did they send the testers 2 discs that aren't the actual AMP? What are they trying to learn from these 2 discs? With the release in a week and a half it seems really strange. It sounds kind of improbable but hopefully they get some real AMPS to the testers before this launch so I can see what I'm actually buying.
My communication said that ZJ's descriptions were dead on for how they're supposed to mold up and perform, and how the run proper has been.. running. So if one of the testers wants to quote his findings......... there it'd be. He had more discs to choose from, different weights, and lucked into a good representation of the mold.

The early shipments for testers unfortunately means that they get to sample the first % off the machine before everything is hot straight and narrow. And that earliest sampling is where any inconsistency would be concentrated.

All plastics have inherent inconsistency ... the difference with MVP isn't that it's non-existent, it's that they care and will investigate and learn how to do it better. Nobody else seems to learn and correct.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 AM
DGCR Vendor

Mike C, can you PM me whenever you get a chance? It looks like your mailbox is full.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Anyway, more about how the Amp flies...I've been gravitation towards my red one, which is sort of weird because I don't use too many understable discs. I must credit my recent learning of the Mamba with preparing for the understability of my red Amp...Even so, the Amp is a different kind of understable disc than the choices we currently have available on the market. It flies much more like a beat stable (concave) winged disc than an L or convex winged disc, so comparing it to discs like ASS/SW/RR doesn't do it justice. This makes it much more useful to more powerful players that would likely never use the other discs I just mentioned. If I throw one of those discs fast, they flip fast. My red Amp is always flipping slow (sort of like a beat 10x TB, or beat CE TL). Mike C throws with more power than I do, and I think the red one is a bit too understable for his throw, but it's not for me. And I think if Mike gets one just a bit more stable (like my white one or a little less stable than it).
Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Wow Zam, I don't think we could have posted any closer to the same thing if we were in the same room.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
where are you at on the turn ratings
Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Anyway, more about how the Amp flies...I've been gravitation towards my red one, which is sort of weird because I don't use too many understable discs. I must credit my recent learning of the Mamba with preparing for the understability of my red Amp...Even so, the Amp is a different kind of understable disc than the choices we currently have available on the market. It flies much more like a beat stable (concave) winged disc than an L or convex winged disc, so comparing it to discs like ASS/SW/RR doesn't do it justice. This makes it much more useful to more powerful players that would likely never use the other discs I just mentioned. If I throw one of those discs fast, they flip fast. My red Amp is always flipping slow (sort of like a beat 10x TB, or beat CE TL). Mike C throws with more power than I do, and I think the red one is a bit too understable for his throw, but it's not for me. And I think if Mike gets one just a bit more stable (like my white one or a little less stable than it).
Sounding more and more like my River. "Understable" line shaper. I have a Diamond that's truly understable, in that it won't come back on an anny line at all. Whereas my River is what I consider to be understable, but I can still drive it full speed and control it to almost any angle I want it for.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
where are you at on the turn ratings
Brian at Inbounds uses decimals, so for him I rated it 9/5/-2.5/1.25. If I wasn't allowed decimals I'd go 9/5/-3/1 just to make sure people understand that this is an understable mold.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Wow Zam, I don't think we could have posted any closer to the same thing if we were in the same room.
You didn't touch on what a better job ZJ is doing of promoting and demystifying the mold

Unless Mystery is the new hotness.... Mystery Bundle? MYSTERY MOLD!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 28
**** back to the DGR Millennium thread for me