Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
And in the case of uninked discs?
It would be a long shot for any reasonable person to return an uninked disc to it's original/former owner.

You could ask around while at the course to see if anyone has recently lost something or possibly hand it over to the people who run the course if they have a lost & found box, but most courses do not have that option.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
You could also post on the local forum, if one exists, that you found a disc on hole X at course Y. That's how I got a Valkyrie back when I was really new to the game and didn't mark discs.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
I'm sure this has been asked many times before, probably every time a thread like this rears up, but I'm going to ask anyway. For those that argue "finders keepers" and "lost discs are abandoned discs", do you ink your discs at all? I mean, if people are truly, willingly abandoning discs forever when they are lost/left on the course, whether it is in water or not, why are people putting their name and contact info on the discs in the first place? Seems to me the practice of inking a disc with contact info is expressly for the purpose of having the disc returned if it is lost. No different, really, than putting an ID tag on a piece of luggage when you travel.

Now I know that putting your name on a disc is helpful for ID purposes during play, i.e. to differentiate your green Nuke from my green Nuke. In fact, in tournament play, it is required to put some kind of identifying mark on each disc in play otherwise they are illegal for use. But that doesn't mean it has to be a name AND contact info. The rule just says a unique mark, which could be initials or even just an X or a dot. So where does the practice of putting a name and contact info (phone, email) come from but a simple desire to have the disc returned if lost?

So forget the arguments regarding legalities and what-not, it boils down to personal integrity. If you find a disc that has contact info on it, and you don't make at least a minimal effort to contact the person or turn it into a lost and found (if available), you deserve to have your integrity questioned. Any arguments to the contrary is just rationalization for dishonesty.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 12
I can't believe this thread is still going, and as always any thread having to deal with lost discs turns into a "what you do when you find a disc with ink or not" morality superiority game. Who has the best moral route, and who breaks the rules. Bottom line, what do you say to a disc diving card member?

Nothing! Nothing you say is going to change any persons mind. You could explain the errors in their way, how what they're doing is not very "cool bro", and make the round awkward. Or we could just revisit 1st grade. If it aint your business, keep your nose out
Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 22
Considering every disc in production is less than $20.. no loss.

Sure it may have been beat in almost perfect.. but it is replaceable.

Now those throwing $100+ CE and other rarities.. or those discs you project feelings towards.. don't throw what you can't lose.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mubhcaeb78 View Post
Considering every disc in production is less than $20.. no loss.

Sure it may have been beat in almost perfect.. but it is replaceable.

Now those throwing $100+ CE and other rarities.. or those discs you project feelings towards.. don't throw what you can't lose.
Agreed that it's not a big deal....but I always find this line of reasoning a bit curious.

The owner shouldn't care about losing the disc, because of its low value.

But the finder should care about keeping the disc, because of its value.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Agreed that it's not a big deal....but I always find this line of reasoning a bit curious.

The owner shouldn't care about losing the disc, because of its low value.

But the finder should care about keeping the disc, because of its value.
If I find a quarter I'm not going to throw it away just because it's only a quarter.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 17
Where's Brian and his bag o'tricks?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
If I find a quarter I'm not going to throw it away just because it's only a quarter.
That quarter's owner isn't easily identified. Unless you saw me drop in, in which case I trust you'd offer it back to me.

I think it's interesting that the finder of a disc with the owner's name and contact information would reason that, "It's of such small value that the owner won't want it back. But it's of enough value that I don't want to offer it back to the owner."

Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
That quarter's owner isn't easily identified. Unless you saw me drop in, in which case I trust you'd offer it back to me.

I think it's interesting that the finder of a disc with the owner's name and contact information would reason that, "It's of such small value that the owner won't want it back. But it's of enough value that I don't want to offer it back to the owner."
Do you agree that you and I are not disagreeing as much as it sounds like?