Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju View Post
I heard those zippo things don't work under 20-25 degrees. Any truth to that?
As an ice fisherman, I can attest yes there is truth to that. They are nice, but have down sides. I perfer the less labor intensive, less expensive purchased chemical hand warmers. Keep them in your pockets. Once you get going the cold is not too bad. Agree with alot of what has been said. Gloves if temp is below 20, 2-3 layers with Under Armor. I also am a fan of a vest outer shell, down or fleece depending on temp. Snow or rain changes the outer shell. Quaility boots can make or break all the clothing work. A good size bag with pockets for clothing can be a good deal when adding or stripping off layers when nessesary. Move those light and white discs out and bright fall colors back into the bag. I find that the decreased disc speed caused by various winter changes, makes my discs more stable. Winter golf can be great, less people, more wildlife and a chance to get some needed exercise.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 44
Welcome back to Washington. You're on the more extreme side of the state, so I can't offer much advice. Over here we just need to wear a long sleeve shirt and waterproof shells. I usually wear gloves and just take one off any time that I need to throw, and that does the job. However, we get rain and temperatures that hardly ever drop below freezing in the daylight... You get snow, wind, and bitter cold. Another reason that I'm happier in the Seattle area than I ever was in Pullman.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 81
Ok guys... cold air is more dense. That means two things are true:

1) LESS High Speed Stability (more high speed turn aka flippy)
2) MORE Low Speed Stability (more low speed fade aka fade... (just go with it))

Here's why:

Denser air will create a larger air pressure difference between the top and bottom of your disc than less dense air, which causes lift and will push your disc up and over more easily. However denser air has more drag than less dense air, which will slow the disc down quicker and cause it to hyzer out faster.

Personally i use discs that have nuetral flight ratings in winter and rely more on release angles than understable/overstable flight characteristics.

Lastly, there's grip differences. Getting less of a good grip on cold plastic will decrease distance as there is less potential energy transfer from your fingers to the disc with a weaker grip.

Last edited by jrawk; 11-28-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Dog View Post
Yup I am in Spokane. Was born and raised here. Then left with the military and was gone for 31 years. Got back and I love it!

I'd like to get together. thanks for helping me not feel like I'm loosing my mind.
31 years in the military, kudos to you. What branch? I served 28 in the USCG.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 96
Looks like you've gotten lots of great advice here. Layer, layer, layer. Take them off as you warm up.

The only thing that I can add is to pre-freeze(for lack of a better term) your discs before you throw them so that they don't melt the snow and form ice on them. Just leave them out in the trunk for a bit before you head out or if you already keep them in your car, you're set.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 47
Pro, Elite X, etc. versions of your discs help with the grip during colder months. But I usually switch from Champ to Star.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 12
All of the ideas about why cold will make a disc fly more stable make sense, however I played yesterday and my results were almost opposite. I live in NE, so maybe location has something to do with it, or elevation.

My wasp, instead of riding a hyzer line, flipped up and turned and just continued straight to the right. Sidewinder flipped up to flat, turned a little more right than usual, but still flexed out at the end. And most confusing was the predator which flew very straight while slightly tracking right for the whole flight, and flexed at the last second to fade 3 feet left before stopping.

My experience suggests here there is more high speed turn and less low speed fade.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
nice read on the subject. http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.co...hive_0710.html
Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 96
Hmmm...interesting name...

Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by A rod View Post
All of the ideas about why cold will make a disc fly more stable make sense, however I played yesterday and my results were almost opposite. I live in NE, so maybe location has something to do with it, or elevation.

My wasp, instead of riding a hyzer line, flipped up and turned and just continued straight to the right. Sidewinder flipped up to flat, turned a little more right than usual, but still flexed out at the end. And most confusing was the predator which flew very straight while slightly tracking right for the whole flight, and flexed at the last second to fade 3 feet left before stopping.

My experience suggests here there is more high speed turn and less low speed fade.
It's possible that the stiff muscles or extra layers made you subconsciously change your throw to compensate, did you notice any distance difference from your warm weather drives?